Quick Link or Master Link

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Warren Kinsey, Jan 28, 2003.

  1. Does anyone know of a "Master Link or Quick Link" that can be used on a Shimano HG-93 chain?
    Something similar to the Sram Master Links.

    Tags:

  2. Robert Wand

    Robert Wand Guest

    I use SRAM Power link (Gold) Or you may try a Connex Connector

    "Warren Kinsey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know of a "Master Link or Quick Link" that can be used on a Shimano HG-93 chain?
    > Something similar to the Sram Master Links.

  3. Cletus and Robert, thanks for the replies. Further question, do either of you have first hand
    experience using the devices you mentioned on a Shimano chain. I found an advertisement, for
    example, on the Sram Power link that said the manufacturer recommended that it not be used on other
    chains. I really want to go with one of these things because of the ability to remove the chain and
    clean it, but sure don't want to mess up $80 worth of chain.

    Thanks for any further info.

    Warren "Warren Kinsey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know of a "Master Link or Quick Link" that can be used on a Shimano HG-93 chain?
    > Something similar to the Sram Master Links.

  4. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Thank you for your caution. I haven't considered the matter further since I settled on SRAM chains
    as a matter of economy. While I was investigating ISTR that high-end $himano chains - extra narrow -
    are built to a six + millimeter standard while the SRAM links - chain and quickconnect - are built
    to a seven millimeter standard. I might easily be wrong but my suspicions paralleled yours.

    "Warren Kinsey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Cletus and Robert, thanks for the replies. Further question, do either of you have first hand
    > experience using the devices you mentioned on a
    Shimano
    > chain. I found an advertisement, for example, on the Sram Power link that said the manufacturer
    > recommended that it not be used on other chains. I really want to go with one of these things
    > because of the ability to
    remove
    > the chain and clean it, but sure don't want to mess up $80 worth of chain.
    >
    > Thanks for any further info.
    >
    > Warren "Warren Kinsey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Does anyone know of a "Master Link or Quick Link" that can be used on a Shimano HG-93 chain?
    > > Something similar to the Sram Master Links.

  5. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Cletus and Robert, thanks for the replies. Further question, do either of you have first hand
    > experience using the devices you mentioned on a Shimano chain.

    I have used a 'removable link' in Shimano chain without problems. It was not Craig. AFAIK, Craig is
    the only one that specifically is advertized for Shimano. KMC uses a MasterLink, SRAM Calls theirs a
    PowerLink. Cheap, lowend and Shimano chains do not come with a 'removable link' Shimano says that
    because of close tolerances, their link pins are not safe to reuse and a special link pin must be
    used to reconnect a chain.

    > I found an advertisement, for example, on the Sram Power link that said the manufacturer
    > recommended that it not be used on other chains.

    That is legal CYA so they don't get sued if it causes a failure.
    Note: the width of the link MUST match the chain. 7-8 spd are wider and inconpatible with 9 spd.

    > I really want to go with one of these things because of the ability to remove the chain and clean
    > it, but sure don't want to mess up $80 worth of chain.

    You won't 'mess up' and $80 chain, just the $5 link. And SRAM are cheaper and easier to deal with
    than Shimano.

    Places like JensonUSA can sell 2-3 std length chains cheaper than the 11-ft equivalent from places
    like HostelShoppe. I just Ordered two new SRAM PC-99 from JensonUSA. I have enough left over new
    PC-99 from the last order that can make up a full Recumbent chain. SRAM come with an included
    PowerLink which makes them a real bargain.

    BTW this ad copy for hollow pin got my eye. Especially "adds the exciting feature of hollow chain
    pins" Some how I think this is excitement I can live without.

    SRAM PC-99 9 SP CHAIN $25 The ultimate 9 speed chain. Smooth shifting, and compatible with SRAM,
    Campagnolo®, or Shimano® systems. Road or off-road, 2x9 or 3x9, this chain is ready for competition
    at the highest level. SRAM PC99 HOLLOW PIN CHAIN $27 SRAM's PC99 hollow pin chain is everything
    you've come to expect from a SRAM chain - durable, quiet, and strong, and adds the exciting feature
    of hollow chain pins for even more weight reduction.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  6. Robert Wand

    Robert Wand Guest

    I agree with Cletus, CYA and sell our Chains is SOP (standard operating procedure). I have been
    using Power Links for Shimano chains ever since they came out, but I do use SRAM chains when I
    replace the original equipment chain.

    "Warren Kinsey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Cletus and Robert, thanks for the replies. Further question, do either of you have first hand
    > experience using the devices you mentioned on a
    Shimano
    > chain. I found an advertisement, for example, on the Sram Power link that said the manufacturer
    > recommended that it not be used on other chains. I really want to go with one of these things
    > because of the ability to
    remove
    > the chain and clean it, but sure don't want to mess up $80 worth of chain.
    >
    > Thanks for any further info.
    >
    > Warren "Warren Kinsey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Does anyone know of a "Master Link or Quick Link" that can be used on a Shimano HG-93 chain?
    > > Something similar to the Sram Master Links.

  7. Excellent input. Thanks to all.

    Warren "Warren Kinsey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Cletus and Robert, thanks for the replies. Further question, do either of you have first hand
    > experience using the devices you mentioned on a
    Shimano
    > chain. I found an advertisement, for example, on the Sram Power link that said the manufacturer
    > recommended that it not be used on other chains. I really want to go with one of these things
    > because of the ability to
    remove
    > the chain and clean it, but sure don't want to mess up $80 worth of chain.
    >
    > Thanks for any further info.
    >
    > Warren "Warren Kinsey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Does anyone know of a "Master Link or Quick Link" that can be used on a Shimano HG-93 chain?
    > > Something similar to the Sram Master Links.

  8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Places like JensonUSA can sell 2-3 std length chains cheaper...

    > Do you use multiple Power Links to connect the pieces of chain? Or just one per recumbent chain?

    IMO 9 spd chains should never reuse a link pin. Since a recumbent requires 2+ Std chains, I use 2
    PowerLinks.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  9. Paul Bruneau

    Paul Bruneau Guest

    Cletus D. Lee wrote:

    >>Places like JensonUSA can sell 2-3 std length chains cheaper...
    >

    >> Do you use multiple Power Links to connect the pieces of chain? Or just one per recumbent chain?
    >

    > IMO 9 spd chains should never reuse a link pin. Since a recumbent requires 2+ Std chains, I use 2
    > PowerLinks.

    If it's 2+ chains (3 segments) don't you need 3 powerlinks?

  10. Robert Wand

    Robert Wand Guest

    I use three in both the Strads (262 links) and the Dakota-S (292 links).

    "Paul Bruneau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Cletus D. Lee wrote:
    > >
    > >>Places like JensonUSA can sell 2-3 std length chains cheaper...
    > >

    > >> Do you use multiple Power Links to connect the pieces of chain? Or
    just one
    > >>per recumbent chain?
    > >

    > > IMO 9 spd chains should never reuse a link pin. Since a recumbent requires 2+ Std chains, I use
    > > 2 PowerLinks.
    >
    > If it's 2+ chains (3 segments) don't you need 3 powerlinks?

  11. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Cletus D. Lee wrote:
    > >
    > >>Places like JensonUSA can sell 2-3 std length chains cheaper...
    > >

    > >> Do you use multiple Power Links to connect the pieces of chain? Or just one per recumbent
    > >> chain?
    > >

    > > IMO 9 spd chains should never reuse a link pin. Since a recumbent requires 2+ Std chains, I use
    > > 2 PowerLinks.
    >
    > If it's 2+ chains (3 segments) don't you need 3 powerlinks?

    Yes, Fuzzy math!

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  12. Paul Bruneau

    Paul Bruneau Guest

    Cletus Lee wrote:

    > Yes, Fuzzy math!

    Hey, no problem. I'm stupid about powerlinks and just making sure I'm thinking right. I'm going
    to put one on my Vanguard. I think the chain is too long (and has been for years). I understand
    that the rear derailler is supposed to be nearly fully extended when the chain is on the
    large/large cogs.