Quick Link or Master Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Warren Kinsey

Does anyone know of a "Master Link or Quick Link" that can be used on a Shimano HG-93 chain?
Something similar to the Sram Master Links.

I use SRAM Power link (Gold) Or you may try a Connex Connector

"Warren Kinsey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know of a "Master Link or Quick Link" that can be used on a Shimano HG-93 chain?
> Something similar to the Sram Master Links.

Cletus and Robert, thanks for the replies. Further question, do either of you have first hand
experience using the devices you mentioned on a Shimano chain. I found an advertisement, for
example, on the Sram Power link that said the manufacturer recommended that it not be used on other
chains. I really want to go with one of these things because of the ability to remove the chain and
clean it, but sure don't want to mess up $80 worth of chain.

Thanks for any further info.

Warren "Warren Kinsey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Does anyone know of a "Master Link or Quick Link" that can be used on a Shimano HG-93 chain?
> Something similar to the Sram Master Links.

Thank you for your caution. I haven't considered the matter further since I settled on SRAM chains
as a matter of economy. While I was investigating ISTR that high-end $himano chains - extra narrow -
are built to a six + millimeter standard while the SRAM links - chain and quickconnect - are built
to a seven millimeter standard. I might easily be wrong but my suspicions paralleled yours.

> Cletus and Robert, thanks for the replies. Further question, do either of you have first hand
> experience using the devices you mentioned on a
Shimano
> chain. I found an advertisement, for example, on the Sram Power link that said the manufacturer
> recommended that it not be used on other chains. I really want to go with one of these things
> because of the ability to
remove
> the chain and clean it, but sure don't want to mess up $80 worth of chain.
>
> Thanks for any further info.
>
> Warren "Warren Kinsey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Does anyone know of a "Master Link or Quick Link" that can be used on a Shimano HG-93 chain?
> > Something similar to the Sram Master Links.
> >
>

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Cletus and Robert, thanks for the replies. Further question, do either of you have first hand
> experience using the devices you mentioned on a Shimano chain.

I have used a 'removable link' in Shimano chain without problems. It was not Craig. AFAIK, Craig is
the only one that specifically is advertized for Shimano. KMC uses a MasterLink, SRAM Calls theirs a
PowerLink. Cheap, lowend and Shimano chains do not come with a 'removable link' Shimano says that
because of close tolerances, their link pins are not safe to reuse and a special link pin must be
used to reconnect a chain.

> I found an advertisement, for example, on the Sram Power link that said the manufacturer
> recommended that it not be used on other chains.

That is legal CYA so they don't get sued if it causes a failure.
Note: the width of the link MUST match the chain. 7-8 spd are wider and inconpatible with 9 spd.

> I really want to go with one of these things because of the ability to remove the chain and clean
> it, but sure don't want to mess up $80 worth of chain.

You won't 'mess up' and $80 chain, just the $5 link. And SRAM are cheaper and easier to deal with
than Shimano.

Places like JensonUSA can sell 2-3 std length chains cheaper than the 11-ft equivalent from places
like HostelShoppe. I just Ordered two new SRAM PC-99 from JensonUSA. I have enough left over new
PC-99 from the last order that can make up a full Recumbent chain. SRAM come with an included
PowerLink which makes them a real bargain.

BTW this ad copy for hollow pin got my eye. Especially "adds the exciting feature of hollow chain
pins" Some how I think this is excitement I can live without.

SRAM PC-99 9 SP CHAIN $25 The ultimate 9 speed chain. Smooth shifting, and compatible with SRAM,
Campagnolo®, or Shimano® systems. Road or off-road, 2x9 or 3x9, this chain is ready for competition
at the highest level. SRAM PC99 HOLLOW PIN CHAIN $27 SRAM's PC99 hollow pin chain is everything
you've come to expect from a SRAM chain - durable, quiet, and strong, and adds the exciting feature
of hollow chain pins for even more weight reduction.

--

Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

I agree with Cletus, CYA and sell our Chains is SOP (standard operating procedure). I have been
using Power Links for Shimano chains ever since they came out, but I do use SRAM chains when I
replace the original equipment chain.

Shimano
> chain. I found an advertisement, for example, on the Sram Power link that said the manufacturer
> recommended that it not be used on other chains. I really want to go with one of these things
remove
>
>
> > Does anyone know of a "Master Link or Quick Link" that can be used on a Shimano HG-93 chain?
> >
>

Excellent input. Thanks to all.

Warren "Warren Kinsey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Shimano
remove
>
>
> >
>

> Places like JensonUSA can sell 2-3 std length chains cheaper...

> Do you use multiple Power Links to connect the pieces of chain? Or just one per recumbent chain?

IMO 9 spd chains should never reuse a link pin. Since a recumbent requires 2+ Std chains, I use 2
PowerLinks.

--
- Bellaire, TX USA -

Cletus D. Lee wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
>>Places like JensonUSA can sell 2-3 std length chains cheaper...
>
>
>> Do you use multiple Power Links to connect the pieces of chain? Or just one per recumbent chain?
>
>
> IMO 9 spd chains should never reuse a link pin. Since a recumbent requires 2+ Std chains, I use 2
> PowerLinks.

If it's 2+ chains (3 segments) don't you need 3 powerlinks?

I use three in both the Strads (262 links) and the Dakota-S (292 links).

"Paul Bruneau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Cletus D. Lee wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> >
> >>Places like JensonUSA can sell 2-3 std length chains cheaper...
> >
> >
> >> Do you use multiple Power Links to connect the pieces of chain? Or
just one
> >>per recumbent chain?
> >
> >
> > IMO 9 spd chains should never reuse a link pin. Since a recumbent requires 2+ Std chains, I use
> > 2 PowerLinks.
>
> If it's 2+ chains (3 segments) don't you need 3 powerlinks?

> Cletus D. Lee wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> >
> >>Places like JensonUSA can sell 2-3 std length chains cheaper...
> >
> >
> >> Do you use multiple Power Links to connect the pieces of chain? Or just one per recumbent
> >> chain?
> >
> >
> > IMO 9 spd chains should never reuse a link pin. Since a recumbent requires 2+ Std chains, I use
> > 2 PowerLinks.
>
> If it's 2+ chains (3 segments) don't you need 3 powerlinks?
>
Yes, Fuzzy math!

--

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Cletus Lee wrote:

> Yes, Fuzzy math!

Hey, no problem. I'm stupid about powerlinks and just making sure I'm thinking right. I'm going
to put one on my Vanguard. I think the chain is too long (and has been for years). I understand
that the rear derailler is supposed to be nearly fully extended when the chain is on the
large/large cogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.