Quick poll - why do you cycle?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wild Wind, Sep 26, 2004.

  1. Wild Wind

    Wild Wind Guest

    Hi,

    I'm sure most people on urc cycle for mostly
    the same reasons.

    However, I'm interested in what's more /important/
    to you in getting out there on your bikes, so
    please rate (in order of importance) the following
    reasons for cycling:

    1. It's fun.

    2. It's economical.

    3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost
    constant time.

    4. It keeps me fit.

    5. It's environmentally friendly.

    6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I
    pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.

    7. Other (please indicate)

    You can leave out reasons that don't apply.

    I'll go first: 1-2-3-4-5.

    Cheers,

    --
    Akin

    aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

    Tags:

  2. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "Wild Wind" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm sure most people on urc cycle for mostly
    > the same reasons.
    >
    > However, I'm interested in what's more /important/
    > to you in getting out there on your bikes, so
    > please rate (in order of importance) the following
    > reasons for cycling:

    <snip>

    8. Why aren't you out cycling now?

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Wild Wind wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm sure most people on urc cycle for mostly
    > the same reasons.
    >
    > However, I'm interested in what's more /important/
    > to you in getting out there on your bikes, so
    > please rate (in order of importance) the following
    > reasons for cycling:
    >
    > 1. It's fun.
    >
    > 2. It's economical.
    >
    > 3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost
    > constant time.
    >
    > 4. It keeps me fit.
    >
    > 5. It's environmentally friendly.
    >
    > 6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I
    > pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.
    >
    > 7. Other (please indicate)
    >
    > You can leave out reasons that don't apply.
    >
    > I'll go first: 1-2-3-4-5.

    1, 4, 3, 7 (its a great way to switch off after a busy day, it gets me
    off-road to far more places than I could get to by walking alone.)

    Tony

  4. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "Wild Wind" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm sure most people on urc cycle for mostly
    > the same reasons.
    >
    > However, I'm interested in what's more /important/
    > to you in getting out there on your bikes, so
    > please rate (in order of importance) the following
    > reasons for cycling:
    >
    > 1. It's fun.
    >
    > 2. It's economical.
    >
    > 3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost
    > constant time.
    >
    > 4. It keeps me fit.
    >
    > 5. It's environmentally friendly.
    >
    > 6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I
    > pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.
    >
    > 7. Other (please indicate)
    >
    > You can leave out reasons that don't apply.

    4,1,5,2,3,6

  5. John

    John Guest

    "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Wild Wind" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm sure most people on urc cycle for mostly
    >> the same reasons.
    >>
    >> However, I'm interested in what's more /important/
    >> to you in getting out there on your bikes, so
    >> please rate (in order of importance) the following
    >> reasons for cycling:
    >>
    >> 1. It's fun.
    >>
    >> 2. It's economical.
    >>
    >> 3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost
    >> constant time.
    >>
    >> 4. It keeps me fit.
    >>
    >> 5. It's environmentally friendly.
    >>
    >> 6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I
    >> pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.
    >>
    >> 7. Other (please indicate)
    >>
    >> You can leave out reasons that don't apply.

    > 4,1,5,2,3,6

    4, 5, 1, 6, 2, 3

  6. Wild Wind wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm sure most people on urc cycle for mostly
    > the same reasons.
    >
    > However, I'm interested in what's more /important/
    > to you in getting out there on your bikes, so
    > please rate (in order of importance) the following
    > reasons for cycling:
    >
    > 1. It's fun.
    >
    > 2. It's economical.
    >
    > 3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost
    > constant time.
    >
    > 4. It keeps me fit.
    >
    > 5. It's environmentally friendly.
    >
    > 6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I
    > pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.
    >
    > 7. Other (please indicate)
    >
    > You can leave out reasons that don't apply.
    >
    > I'll go first: 1-2-3-4-5.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > --
    > Akin
    >
    > aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

    1,4

  7. Succorso

    Succorso Guest

    Wild Wind wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm sure most people on urc cycle for mostly
    > the same reasons.
    >
    > However, I'm interested in what's more /important/
    > to you in getting out there on your bikes, so
    > please rate (in order of importance) the following
    > reasons for cycling:
    >
    > 1. It's fun.
    >
    > 2. It's economical.
    >
    > 3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost
    > constant time.
    >
    > 4. It keeps me fit.
    >
    > 5. It's environmentally friendly.
    >
    > 6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I
    > pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.
    >
    > 7. Other (please indicate)
    >
    > You can leave out reasons that don't apply.
    >
    > I'll go first: 1-2-3-4-5.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > --
    > Akin
    >
    > aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

    4,1,5,2

  8. Marc Brett

    Marc Brett Guest

    Guilt. My dad's 83, cycles everywhere, and wants to leave the world a better
    place. Driving needlessly would be letting him down.

    Pressure from the kids. If I try to drive them to school in a car, I get howls
    of protest. So out come the helmets, and off we go, rain or shine -- who cares
    if we're late...

  9. "Wild Wind" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    berlin.de:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm sure most people on urc cycle for mostly
    > the same reasons.
    >
    > However, I'm interested in what's more /important/
    > to you in getting out there on your bikes, so
    > please rate (in order of importance) the following
    > reasons for cycling:
    >
    > 1. It's fun.
    >
    > 2. It's economical.
    >
    > 3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost
    > constant time.
    >
    > 4. It keeps me fit.
    >
    > 5. It's environmentally friendly.
    >
    > 6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I
    > pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.
    >
    > 7. Other (please indicate)
    >
    > You can leave out reasons that don't apply.
    >
    > I'll go first: 1-2-3-4-5.

    4,3,2,1,7

    It puts a (not sure how to put this) sort of psychological distance between
    me and work, much more so than getting the tube.

    It's more pleasant than getting the tube on a hot day.

    --
    Chris

  10. Jack Ouzzi

    Jack Ouzzi Guest

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 15:42:20 +0100, "Wild Wind" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm sure most people on urc cycle for mostly
    >the same reasons.
    >
    >However, I'm interested in what's more /important/
    >to you in getting out there on your bikes, so
    >please rate (in order of importance) the following
    >reasons for cycling:
    >
    >1. It's fun.
    >
    >2. It's economical.
    >
    >3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost
    > constant time.
    >
    >4. It keeps me fit.
    >
    >5. It's environmentally friendly.
    >
    >6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I
    > pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.
    >
    >7. Other (please indicate)
    >
    >You can leave out reasons that don't apply.

    1, 4, 6++, 7, It's lets me eat lots of naughty things .....

    Any prizes??

  11. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    7 (other) --Exploring places, enjoying landscapes and urbanscapes that I
    wouldn't otherwise bother about, deeply soaking up the atmospheres. Not
    necessarily far from home, but everywhere within a radius of my home that
    I can cycle within. Town and country, both equally affecting in their own
    ways.

    1, although "fun" is too small a word for it. More like it makes me feel
    alive.

    2 (economical) --Well that was the idea in the first place but I've ended
    up spending as much or more on cycling as I would on any other form of
    transport.

    3 (quick).

    That's it. I don't do it to keep fit, I have to keep fit to carry on
    cycling (and to extend that radius), and cycling keeps me fit! So some of
    my rides count purely as fitness rides, the ones I that are too hard work
    or uncomfortable to properly enjoy. Not one of those today. Today's ride
    was magic. Nothing that would seem spectacular or especially interesting
    to anyone else (hence no details), just felt unusually great to me.

    re 5: I like that fact that's enviro frndly, but I'm not selfless enough
    for that to have influenced my decision to ride a bike instead of driving
    a car.

    ~PB

  12. Sorry, I couldn't really come up with an order of importance.

    For me, it is quite simply the best way to travel. I really enjoy it,
    I get a great sense of freedom, I get to see lots of things, I keep fit
    and I don't pollute, congest or kill.

    Ian

  13. "Wild Wind" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm sure most people on urc cycle for mostly
    > the same reasons.
    >
    > However, I'm interested in what's more /important/
    > to you in getting out there on your bikes, so
    > please rate (in order of importance) the following
    > reasons for cycling:
    >
    > 1. It's fun.
    >
    > 2. It's economical.
    >
    > 3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost
    > constant time.
    >
    > 4. It keeps me fit.
    >
    > 5. It's environmentally friendly.
    >
    > 6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I
    > pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.
    >
    > 7. Other (please indicate)
    >
    > You can leave out reasons that don't apply.
    >
    > I'll go first: 1-2-3-4-5.
    >
    > Cheers,

    7. I NEED to cycle!

    Ken

  14. 34167

    7: Having spent money on the blasted thing to replace bits that wore out
    and bits the burglar broke I HAVE to keep riding it!

  15. brian

    brian Guest

    "Wild Wind" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    berlin.de:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm sure most people on urc cycle for mostly
    > the same reasons.

    1, 4, 7, 5.

    For 7 it lets me explore more of the wilderness of Central Scotland than I
    can do on foot.

    --
    Brian

  16. Wild Wind

    Wild Wind Guest

    Wild Wind wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm sure most people on urc cycle for mostly
    > the same reasons.
    >
    > However, I'm interested in what's more /important/
    > to you in getting out there on your bikes, so
    > please rate (in order of importance) the following
    > reasons for cycling:
    >
    > 1. It's fun.
    >
    > 2. It's economical.
    >
    > 3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost
    > constant time.
    >
    > 4. It keeps me fit.
    >
    > 5. It's environmentally friendly.
    >
    > 6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I
    > pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.
    >
    > 7. Other (please indicate)
    >
    > You can leave out reasons that don't apply.
    >
    > I'll go first: 1-2-3-4-5.

    Actually, thinking about it, I think my order is
    more like 1-2-3-4-7 (it gives me the opportunity
    to observe more of the world than I could do by
    walking, and at more leisure than I could do driving).

    --
    Akin

    aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

  17. Wild Wind wrote:

    I ride primarily to keep fit & healthy, its the only exercise I do. It ride
    as much as I do because I enjoy it. I ride to work to save money, to save
    time and to keep fit.

  18. In news:[email protected],
    Wild Wind <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm sure most people on urc cycle for mostly
    > the same reasons.
    >
    > However, I'm interested in what's more /important/
    > to you in getting out there on your bikes, so
    > please rate (in order of importance) the following
    > reasons for cycling:
    >
    > 1. It's fun.
    >
    > 2. It's economical.
    >
    > 3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost
    > constant time.
    >
    > 4. It keeps me fit.
    >
    > 5. It's environmentally friendly.
    >
    > 6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I
    > pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.
    >
    > 7. Other (please indicate)
    >
    > You can leave out reasons that don't apply.
    >
    > I'll go first: 1-2-3-4-5.
    >
    > Cheers,

    1 and 8 (8= I can get to pubs I can't walk to, or drive back from.)
    --

    Martin Bulmer

  19. Wild Wind wrote:

    > 1. It's fun.
    >
    > 2. It's economical.
    >
    > 3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost
    > constant time.
    >
    > 4. It keeps me fit.
    >
    > 5. It's environmentally friendly.
    >
    > 6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I
    > pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.
    >
    > 7. Other (please indicate)
    >
    > You can leave out reasons that don't apply.
    >
    > I'll go first: 1-2-3-4-5.

    4, 1, 5, 3, 2

    --
    jc

    Remove the -not from email

  20. "Wild Wind" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm sure most people on urc cycle for mostly
    > the same reasons.
    >
    > However, I'm interested in what's more /important/
    > to you in getting out there on your bikes, so
    > please rate (in order of importance) the following
    > reasons for cycling:
    >
    > 1. It's fun.
    >
    > 2. It's economical.
    >
    > 3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost
    > constant time.
    >
    > 4. It keeps me fit.
    >
    > 5. It's environmentally friendly.
    >
    > 6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I
    > pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.
    >
    > 7. Other (please indicate)
    >
    > You can leave out reasons that don't apply.

    Probably 1/4/5/2/7 (parking at work is a doddle compared with
    provision for motorists, also I can't actually drive yet!).

    David E. Belcher