Quick poll - why do you cycle?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wild Wind, Sep 26, 2004.

  1. njf>badger

    njf>badger Guest

    >>However, I'm interested in what's more /important/
    >>to you in getting out there on your bikes, so
    >>please rate (in order of importance) the following
    >>reasons for cycling:
    >>
    >>1. It's fun.
    >>
    >>2. It's economical.
    >>
    >>3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost
    >> constant time.
    >>
    >>4. It keeps me fit.
    >>
    >>5. It's environmentally friendly.
    >>
    >>6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I
    >> pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.
    >>
    >>7. Other (please indicate)
    >>
    >>You can leave out reasons that don't apply.

    4 1

  2. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 15:42:20 +0100, "Wild Wind" <[email protected]>
    wrote (more or less):

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm sure most people on urc cycle for mostly
    >the same reasons.
    >
    >However, I'm interested in what's more /important/
    >to you in getting out there on your bikes, so
    >please rate (in order of importance) the following
    >reasons for cycling:
    >
    >1. It's fun.
    >
    >2. It's economical.
    >
    >3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost
    > constant time.
    >
    >4. It keeps me fit.
    >
    >5. It's environmentally friendly.
    >
    >6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I
    > pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.
    >
    >7. Other (please indicate)
    >
    >You can leave out reasons that don't apply.
    >
    >I'll go first: 1-2-3-4-5.

    7. It's faster and less tedious than walking, and has few of the
    parking problems of driving.

    With a big dollop of 6. I used to particularly enjoy seeing how long
    it took busses to get past me, (as opposed to just temprarily
    leap-frogging me)

    Plus fitness, environment-friendliness, economy.

    I've even started cycling for fun, on recent occasions.

    --
    Cheers,
    Euan

  3. Wild Wind ([email protected]) wrote:
    : I'm sure most people on urc cycle for mostly
    : the same reasons.
    : However, I'm interested in what's more /important/
    : to you in getting out there on your bikes, so
    : please rate (in order of importance) the following
    : reasons for cycling:

    1. It's fun.
    4. It keeps me fit.

    Blair.

  4. Roos Eisma

    Roos Eisma Guest

    Gawnsoft <[email protected]> writes:

    >Plus fitness, environment-friendliness, economy.

    Plus fresh air and being outside.

    Roos

  5. Richard M

    Richard M Guest

    wrote:

    >1. It's fun.
    >2. It's economical.
    >3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost constant time.
    >4. It keeps me fit.
    >5. It's environmentally friendly.
    >6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.
    >7. Other (please indicate)

    1, 4, 3, 5, 7

    7, The satisfaction of climbing a steep hill, stopping at the top to
    munch some malt loaf and watching the sunrise. You do not get that
    sitting in your car.

    I'm not sure about Number 2 at all

    Richard

    Please remove THIS if replying

  6. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Wild Wind vaguely muttered something like ...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm sure most people on urc cycle for mostly
    > the same reasons.
    >
    > However, I'm interested in what's more /important/
    > to you in getting out there on your bikes, so
    > please rate (in order of importance) the following
    > reasons for cycling:
    >
    > 1. It's fun.
    >
    > 2. It's economical.
    >
    > 3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost
    > constant time.
    >
    > 4. It keeps me fit.
    >
    > 5. It's environmentally friendly.
    >
    > 6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I
    > pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.
    >
    > 7. Other (please indicate)
    >
    > You can leave out reasons that don't apply.
    >
    > I'll go first: 1-2-3-4-5.
    >
    > Cheers,

    7, Competition and excitement ... 1, 4 ... and any other reason really, but
    in no strict order, though not 2 .. it isn't economical at all when you race
    ... ;).

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) Homer Rules !!!

  7. Wild Wind wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm sure most people on urc cycle for mostly
    > the same reasons.
    >
    > However, I'm interested in what's more /important/
    > to you in getting out there on your bikes, so
    > please rate (in order of importance) the following
    > reasons for cycling:
    >
    > 1. It's fun.
    >
    > 2. It's economical.
    >
    > 3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost
    > constant time.
    >
    > 4. It keeps me fit.
    >
    > 5. It's environmentally friendly.
    >
    > 6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I
    > pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.
    >
    > 7. Other (please indicate)
    >
    > You can leave out reasons that don't apply.
    >
    > I'll go first: 1-2-3-4-5.
    >
    > Cheers,

    1, 4, 3, 2, 7 (I'm a lazy git when it comes to exercise and walking
    anywhere, with a bicycyle I can sit on my arse and still do exercise and get
    around)

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: [email protected]

  8. 4, 1 + It's a great way to see the countryside.

    <GLOAT>Next Saturday's ride: http://www.grizzlycentury.org/</GLOAT>

    --
    Peter Headland

  9. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

  10. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Wild Wind [email protected] opined the following...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm sure most people on urc cycle for mostly
    > the same reasons.
    >
    > However, I'm interested in what's more /important/
    > to you in getting out there on your bikes, so
    > please rate (in order of importance) the following
    > reasons for cycling:
    >
    > 1. It's fun.
    >
    > 2. It's economical.
    >
    > 3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost
    > constant time.
    >
    > 4. It keeps me fit.
    >
    > 5. It's environmentally friendly.
    >
    > 6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I
    > pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.
    >
    > 7. Other (please indicate)
    >
    > You can leave out reasons that don't apply.

    1 - 4 - 6 - 6 - 6

    WRT: Having finally reached a decent level of fitness, I've found that
    it's transferable to a certain degree. So to maintain fitness I now run.

    And nothing yet beats the satisfaction of racing cars into work. The
    funniest moments being the futile revving of engines as you pass when
    the instinct to overtake gets destroyed by the presence of a car in
    front of them. ;-)

    Jon

  11. AndyMorris

    AndyMorris Guest

  12. "Wild Wind" <[email protected]> wrote:
    | 1. It's fun.
    |
    | 2. It's economical.
    |
    | 3. It gets me to where I'm going quickly in almost
    | constant time.
    |
    | 4. It keeps me fit.

    without boring me stupid.

    | 5. It's environmentally friendly.
    |
    | 6. I get a wonderful feeling of schadenfreude as I
    | pass by motorists stuck in traffic jams.
    |
    | 7. Other (please indicate)

    It's aesthetically very satisfying.

    8. Town journeys are almost always door-to-door, unlike any other way
    except walking and that's too slow.

    9. Tinkering can be done in the warm, even in front of the telly,
    whereas taking the car engine out so you can change the oil filter on
    the kitchen table is a bit backwards.

    10. I can understand (almost) all of the engineering involved to a
    level that makes me feel /I've/ mastered /it/ rather than its sitting
    there smuggly waiting to cause me a repair bill that I don't know is
    justified or not, guv. Those bits I don't fully understand are
    pleasurably geeky to investigate e.g. reading Jobst's book.

    11&12. No tax{e,i}s.

    13. I can (sometimes) afford to buy stuff that's equivalent to buying
    a Ferrari or a Porsche.

    14. There's a very good atmosphere around cycling folks, unlike the
    sneering one-up-man-ship down the Rep&WhiteVanMan.

    I can't really come up with an ordering: all of the above. Perhaps I'd
    put my #7 first, but only just.

    --
    Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK
    http://www.anweald.co.uk

  13. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Patrick Herring
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > 13. I can (sometimes) afford to buy stuff that's equivalent to buying
    > a Ferrari or a Porsche.

    When I first saw this poll I just thought 1-4-5 and didn't bother to
    post. But there are other reasons. This is one of them. I can afford
    'dream' bicycles. I even _have_ two of them. I really appreciate being
    able to use engineering of this quality, even if I don't have the skill
    or fitness to push it to its limits.

    The other is being able to get into seriously wild country quickly and
    quietly and without damaging the serenity I have gone to enjoy.

    ;; MS Windows: A thirty-two bit extension ... to a sixteen bit
    ;; patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a
    ;; four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that
    ;; can't stand one bit of competition -- anonymous

  14. John Mallard

    John Mallard Guest

    7 I really hate the hassle of trying to find somewhere to put the car
    several times a day.

    --
    Cheerful Pedalling
    John Mallard