quick question about food left overnight

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by TG, Feb 2, 2006.

  1. TG

    TG Guest

    Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on
    the stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night,
    and the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
    morning, so I put it in the fridge.

    Is it still ok, or should I turf it just to be safe?


    TIA
     
    Tags:


  2. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 17:50:32 GMT, TG <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on
    >the stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night,
    >and the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
    >morning, so I put it in the fridge.
    >
    >Is it still ok, or should I turf it just to be safe?


    Beans and wieners are disposable.

    -sw
     
  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 17:50:32 GMT, TG <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on
    > >the stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night,
    > >and the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
    > >morning, so I put it in the fridge.
    > >
    > >Is it still ok, or should I turf it just to be safe?

    >
    > Beans and wieners are disposable.
    >
    > -sw


    Yep. Cheap too.

    If it had been pressure cooked (I always pressure beans anymore to save
    electricity), I'd feel safe about them. But just boiled on the stove
    top, especially if it was canned beans, I'd trash it rather than risk a
    trip to the ER.

    A medical bill will cost you FAR more than replacing the beans and
    weiners!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
     
  4. On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 17:50:32 GMT, TG <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on
    >the stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night,
    >and the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
    >morning, so I put it in the fridge.
    >
    >Is it still ok, or should I turf it just to be safe?


    I'm a bit paranoid about germs in food so if I forget to put something
    in the fridge overnight, it goes in the trash next morning if it
    contains meat or dairy products... I'd say that beans and weiners is a
    disposable meal already and I wouldn't be trying to keep the leftovers
    any more than I'd try to keep half a hamburger...

    --
    ~Karen aka Kajikit
    Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
    http://www.kajikitscorner.com
    Online photo album - http://community.webshots.com/user/kajikit
     
  5. L'Espérance

    L'Espérance Guest

    Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

    > On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 17:50:32 GMT, TG <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on
    >>the stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night,
    >>and the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
    >>morning, so I put it in the fridge.
    >>
    >>Is it still ok, or should I turf it just to be safe?

    >
    >
    > I'm a bit paranoid about germs in food so if I forget to put something
    > in the fridge overnight, it goes in the trash next morning if it
    > contains meat or dairy products... I'd say that beans and weiners is a
    > disposable meal already and I wouldn't be trying to keep the leftovers
    > any more than I'd try to keep half a hamburger...
    >


    I agree on the weiners and beans! Toss them. Our favourite pub makes
    huge burgers. They are served cut in half with a side of spanish onions
    and dill pickles. Cheese and/or mushrooms on optional on the burger.
    Mustard and ketchup is on the table. We often eat only one half the
    burger and bring the other half home to reheat the next day. I wouldn't
    try saving a half burger if it was one someone had eating because of
    contamination issues.
     
  6. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "TG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on the
    > stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night, and
    > the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
    > morning, so I put it in the fridge.
    >
    > Is it still ok, or should I turf it just to be safe?


    I would toss it, as everyone said. I've done that with stuff it just
    breaks my heart, I kick myself for not putting it away ... but if I
    have to wonder if it's okay? I am not going to be happy eating
    it, so what's the point.

    Hot dogs and beans? No brainer. Toss it.

    nancy
     
  7. Sixty degrees F isn't all that cold so I'd probably toss them, but one
    thing that could make you feel better if you decide to keep them is
    that tomato sauce is acidic and therefore helps preserve foods.

    So if you had cooked the beans and especially the weiners very well
    (best in hunks rather than whole though), it *might* be that they'd be
    fine. If it were just the beans, I probably wouldn't worry.

    Could depend on the type and the degree of doneness of the weiners too
    though... I've heard that it's not really even safe to heat hot dogs in
    a microwave to be eaten by those with compromised immune systems or the
    elderly because little pockets can be left which weren't brough to the
    proper temp. to kill certain organisms... can't remember now why the
    fact that they were cooked when purchased wasn't enough protection, but
    perhaps they were talking about being left out or in a frig. not all
    the way down to 40 F or something.


    Diane B.
     
  8. BoboBonobo

    BoboBonobo Guest

    TG wrote:
    > Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on
    > the stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night,
    > and the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
    > morning, so I put it in the fridge.


    There is absolutely no question that I'd heat them right back up and
    have 'em for breakfast. I wouldn't serve them to my 4 YO.
    >
    > Is it still ok, or should I turf it just to be safe?


    Of course, you said beans and weiners. I wouldn't eat those anyway.
    >
    > TIA


    --Bryan
     
  9. pgluth1

    pgluth1 Guest

    >> Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on
    >> the stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night,
    >> and the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
    >> morning, so I put it in the fridge.


    I guess I am in the minority - most weiners in the US are fully cooked and
    then packaged. I would eat them, though I wouldn't put them back in the
    fridge for later. I ate far worse in college. I asked my wife about eating
    leftover weiners and beans and she said, "the fact that they are leftover
    is the least of your worries." Hers too.
     
  10. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    TG wrote:
    > Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked) beans & weiners out on
    > the stove overnight,


    How much is "some"? Assuming you already ate and this is leftovers (I
    would never believe you left the entire amount) what are you talking,
    two weenies and three spoonsful beans... c'mon, we're talking like 38¢
    worth... they're probably perfectly safe but do you really still need
    to refill your burper and farter that badly. Any junkyard dogs about?
     
  11. kevnbro

    kevnbro Guest

    "Toss them"??
    That's rediculous... it would take days if not longer for enough
    bacteria to invade your beans an weinies to make you sick. kev
     
  12. TG wrote:
    > Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on
    > the stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night,
    > and the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
    > morning, so I put it in the fridge.
    >
    > Is it still ok, or should I turf it just to be safe?



    Beans are a high risk food, so I would toss them. Certain foods are
    worse as they tend to grow germs more. But just about anything left out
    overnight, I will toss. I remind myself that I cannot afford to get
    sick.
     
  13. [email protected] wrote:

    > fine. If it were just the beans, I probably wouldn't worry.
    >


    Cooked starches such as rice, beans, pasta, and potatoes are considered
    potentially hazardous. Also included are meats, dairy, cooked
    vegetables, sprouts, cut melons, and tofu. This comes from the food
    handler's guide from the health department. These are the foods that
    bacteria mostly grow in and cause foodborne illness.
     
  14. TG wrote:
    > Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on
    > the stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night,
    > and the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
    > morning, so I put it in the fridge.
    >
    > Is it still ok, or should I turf it just to be safe?
    >
    >
    > TIA


    Was the burner on? If so junk it. If the burner was off and the pot was
    on a cold stove eat it. :)

    Most foods can take room temperature for a few hours with no problem at
    all. If you had uncooked eggs (mayonnaise perhaps?) or milk in the
    food junk it immediately.

    I am constantly amazed by the level of paranoia that I see and hear
    about leaving food out of a fridge for a few hours. Our ancestors
    often did not have refrigeration of any kind and we're still here. At a
    guess, they didn't even have much more food poisening than we have
    today. We just get it in different ways since tranport, processing and
    storage techniques are different.
    John Kane Kingston ON. Canada
     
  15. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > I am constantly amazed by the level of paranoia that I see and hear
    > about leaving food out of a fridge for a few hours. Our ancestors
    > often did not have refrigeration of any kind and we're still here. At a
    > guess, they didn't even have much more food poisening than we have
    > today. We just get it in different ways since tranport, processing and
    > storage techniques are different.
    > John Kane Kingston ON. Canada


    Ancient man certainly did suffer from food pathogens... their life
    expectancy was about a quarter of today's, food poisoning was a very
    common cause of death. And many of the peoples on this planet still
    regularly contract food borne illnesses. And many still don't have
    modern refrigeration, but they certainly do have refrigeration... food
    is refrigerated the old fahioned way, ice is hauled to the food, food
    is hauled to the ice, and many still sink a wooden cache into an ice
    cold mountain stream, still quite common in western Canada..
     
  16. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote

    > I am constantly amazed by the level of paranoia that I see and hear
    > about leaving food out of a fridge for a few hours. Our ancestors
    > often did not have refrigeration of any kind and we're still here. At a
    > guess, they didn't even have much more food poisening than we have
    > today. We just get it in different ways since tranport, processing and
    > storage techniques are different.


    Perhaps a little dose of food poisoning will make you think differently,
    I don't plan on going there again. Sure as hell not over some leftover
    hot dogs and beans.

    nancy
     
  17. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > I am constantly amazed by the level of paranoia that I see and hear
    > > about leaving food out of a fridge for a few hours. Our ancestors
    > > often did not have refrigeration of any kind and we're still here. At a
    > > guess, they didn't even have much more food poisening than we have
    > > today. We just get it in different ways since tranport, processing and
    > > storage techniques are different.

    >
    > Perhaps a little dose of food poisoning will make you think differently,
    > I don't plan on going there again. Sure as hell not over some leftover
    > hot dogs and beans.
    >
    > nancy
    >
    >


    My ER co-pay with health insurance is $100.00.
    I can buy a LOT of beans and wieners for that.

    And an evening spent dealing with food poisoning is not exactly what I'd
    call high entertainment, unless you enjoy having "American Standard"
    pressed into your forehead.....
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
     
  18. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >
    > My ER co-pay with health insurance is $100.00.
    > I can buy a LOT of beans and wieners for that.
    >
    > And an evening spent dealing with food poisoning is not exactly what I'd
    > call high entertainment, unless you enjoy having "American Standard"
    > pressed into your forehead.....


    Most people here don't have large foreheads to fit American Standard,
    way too narrow and they slope back too sharply to be legible... about
    all they can accomodate is Eljer.
     
  19. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > >
    > > My ER co-pay with health insurance is $100.00.
    > > I can buy a LOT of beans and wieners for that.
    > >
    > > And an evening spent dealing with food poisoning is not exactly what I'd
    > > call high entertainment, unless you enjoy having "American Standard"
    > > pressed into your forehead.....

    >
    > Most people here don't have large foreheads to fit American Standard,
    > way too narrow and they slope back too sharply to be legible... about
    > all they can accomodate is Eljer.


    Toto... ;-)
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
     
Loading...