quick question about food left overnight

TG

Guest
Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on
the stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night,
and the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
morning, so I put it in the fridge.

Is it still ok, or should I turf it just to be safe?

TIA

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 17:50:32 GMT, TG <[email protected]> wrote:

>Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on
>the stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night,
>and the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
>morning, so I put it in the fridge.
>
>Is it still ok, or should I turf it just to be safe?

Beans and wieners are disposable.

-sw

In article <[email protected]>,
Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 17:50:32 GMT, TG <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on
> >the stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night,
> >and the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
> >morning, so I put it in the fridge.
> >
> >Is it still ok, or should I turf it just to be safe?

> Beans and wieners are disposable.
>
> -sw

Yep. Cheap too.

If it had been pressure cooked (I always pressure beans anymore to save
electricity), I'd feel safe about them. But just boiled on the stove
top, especially if it was canned beans, I'd trash it rather than risk a
trip to the ER.

A medical bill will cost you FAR more than replacing the beans and
weiners!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 17:50:32 GMT, TG <[email protected]> wrote:

>Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on
>the stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night,
>and the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
>morning, so I put it in the fridge.
>
>Is it still ok, or should I turf it just to be safe?

I'm a bit paranoid about germs in food so if I forget to put something
in the fridge overnight, it goes in the trash next morning if it
contains meat or dairy products... I'd say that beans and weiners is a
disposable meal already and I wouldn't be trying to keep the leftovers
any more than I'd try to keep half a hamburger...

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 17:50:32 GMT, TG <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on
>>the stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night,
>>and the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
>>morning, so I put it in the fridge.
>>
>>Is it still ok, or should I turf it just to be safe?

> I'm a bit paranoid about germs in food so if I forget to put something
> in the fridge overnight, it goes in the trash next morning if it
> contains meat or dairy products... I'd say that beans and weiners is a
> disposable meal already and I wouldn't be trying to keep the leftovers
> any more than I'd try to keep half a hamburger...

I agree on the weiners and beans! Toss them. Our favourite pub makes
huge burgers. They are served cut in half with a side of spanish onions
and dill pickles. Cheese and/or mushrooms on optional on the burger.
Mustard and ketchup is on the table. We often eat only one half the
burger and bring the other half home to reheat the next day. I wouldn't
try saving a half burger if it was one someone had eating because of
contamination issues.

"TG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on the
> stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night, and
> the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
> morning, so I put it in the fridge.
>
> Is it still ok, or should I turf it just to be safe?

I would toss it, as everyone said. I've done that with stuff it just
breaks my heart, I kick myself for not putting it away ... but if I
have to wonder if it's okay? I am not going to be happy eating
it, so what's the point.

Hot dogs and beans? No brainer. Toss it.

nancy

Sixty degrees F isn't all that cold so I'd probably toss them, but one
thing that could make you feel better if you decide to keep them is
that tomato sauce is acidic and therefore helps preserve foods.

So if you had cooked the beans and especially the weiners very well
(best in hunks rather than whole though), it *might* be that they'd be
fine. If it were just the beans, I probably wouldn't worry.

Could depend on the type and the degree of doneness of the weiners too
though... I've heard that it's not really even safe to heat hot dogs in
a microwave to be eaten by those with compromised immune systems or the
elderly because little pockets can be left which weren't brough to the
proper temp. to kill certain organisms... can't remember now why the
fact that they were cooked when purchased wasn't enough protection, but
perhaps they were talking about being left out or in a frig. not all
the way down to 40 F or something.

Diane B.

TG wrote:
> Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on
> the stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night,
> and the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
> morning, so I put it in the fridge.

There is absolutely no question that I'd heat them right back up and
have 'em for breakfast. I wouldn't serve them to my 4 YO.

> Is it still ok, or should I turf it just to be safe?

Of course, you said beans and weiners. I wouldn't eat those anyway.

> TIA

--Bryan

>> Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on
>> the stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night,
>> and the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
>> morning, so I put it in the fridge.

I guess I am in the minority - most weiners in the US are fully cooked and
then packaged. I would eat them, though I wouldn't put them back in the
fridge for later. I ate far worse in college. I asked my wife about eating
leftover weiners and beans and she said, "the fact that they are leftover
is the least of your worries." Hers too.

TG wrote:
> Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked) beans & weiners out on
> the stove overnight,

How much is "some"? Assuming you already ate and this is leftovers (I
would never believe you left the entire amount) what are you talking,
two weenies and three spoonsful beans... c'mon, we're talking like 38¢
worth... they're probably perfectly safe but do you really still need
to refill your burper and farter that badly. Any junkyard dogs about?

"Toss them"??
That's rediculous... it would take days if not longer for enough
bacteria to invade your beans an weinies to make you sick. kev

TG wrote:
> Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on
> the stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night,
> and the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
> morning, so I put it in the fridge.
>
> Is it still ok, or should I turf it just to be safe?

Beans are a high risk food, so I would toss them. Certain foods are
worse as they tend to grow germs more. But just about anything left out
overnight, I will toss. I remind myself that I cannot afford to get
sick.

[email protected] wrote:

> fine. If it were just the beans, I probably wouldn't worry.

Cooked starches such as rice, beans, pasta, and potatoes are considered
potentially hazardous. Also included are meats, dairy, cooked
vegetables, sprouts, cut melons, and tofu. This comes from the food
handler's guide from the health department. These are the foods that
bacteria mostly grow in and cause foodborne illness.

TG wrote:
> Quick question - Last night I left some (cooked)beans & weiners out on
> the stove overnight, my house cools down to about 15C during the night,
> and the bottom of the pot was quite cool to the touch when I got up this
> morning, so I put it in the fridge.
>
> Is it still ok, or should I turf it just to be safe?
>

> TIA

Was the burner on? If so junk it. If the burner was off and the pot was
on a cold stove eat it. :)

Most foods can take room temperature for a few hours with no problem at
all. If you had uncooked eggs (mayonnaise perhaps?) or milk in the
food junk it immediately.

I am constantly amazed by the level of paranoia that I see and hear
about leaving food out of a fridge for a few hours. Our ancestors
often did not have refrigeration of any kind and we're still here. At a
guess, they didn't even have much more food poisening than we have
today. We just get it in different ways since tranport, processing and
storage techniques are different.
John Kane Kingston ON. Canada

[email protected] wrote:

> I am constantly amazed by the level of paranoia that I see and hear
> about leaving food out of a fridge for a few hours. Our ancestors
> often did not have refrigeration of any kind and we're still here. At a
> guess, they didn't even have much more food poisening than we have
> today. We just get it in different ways since tranport, processing and
> storage techniques are different.
> John Kane Kingston ON. Canada

Ancient man certainly did suffer from food pathogens... their life
expectancy was about a quarter of today's, food poisoning was a very
common cause of death. And many of the peoples on this planet still
regularly contract food borne illnesses. And many still don't have
modern refrigeration, but they certainly do have refrigeration... food
is refrigerated the old fahioned way, ice is hauled to the food, food
is hauled to the ice, and many still sink a wooden cache into an ice
cold mountain stream, still quite common in western Canada..

<[email protected]> wrote

> I am constantly amazed by the level of paranoia that I see and hear
> about leaving food out of a fridge for a few hours. Our ancestors
> often did not have refrigeration of any kind and we're still here. At a
> guess, they didn't even have much more food poisening than we have
> today. We just get it in different ways since tranport, processing and
> storage techniques are different.

Perhaps a little dose of food poisoning will make you think differently,
I don't plan on going there again. Sure as hell not over some leftover
hot dogs and beans.

nancy

In article <[email protected]>,
"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > I am constantly amazed by the level of paranoia that I see and hear
> > about leaving food out of a fridge for a few hours. Our ancestors
> > often did not have refrigeration of any kind and we're still here. At a
> > guess, they didn't even have much more food poisening than we have
> > today. We just get it in different ways since tranport, processing and
> > storage techniques are different.

> Perhaps a little dose of food poisoning will make you think differently,
> I don't plan on going there again. Sure as hell not over some leftover
> hot dogs and beans.
>
> nancy

My ER co-pay with health insurance is $100.00.
I can buy a LOT of beans and wieners for that.

And an evening spent dealing with food poisoning is not exactly what I'd
call high entertainment, unless you enjoy having "American Standard"
pressed into your forehead.....
--

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> My ER co-pay with health insurance is $100.00.
> I can buy a LOT of beans and wieners for that.
>
> And an evening spent dealing with food poisoning is not exactly what I'd
> call high entertainment, unless you enjoy having "American Standard"
> pressed into your forehead.....

Most people here don't have large foreheads to fit American Standard,
way too narrow and they slope back too sharply to be legible... about
all they can accomodate is Eljer.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > My ER co-pay with health insurance is $100.00.
> > I can buy a LOT of beans and wieners for that.
> >
> > And an evening spent dealing with food poisoning is not exactly what I'd
> > call high entertainment, unless you enjoy having "American Standard"
> > pressed into your forehead.....

> Most people here don't have large foreheads to fit American Standard,
> way too narrow and they slope back too sharply to be legible... about
> all they can accomodate is Eljer.

Toto... ;-)