Quick question about how fork rests on wheel axle(pic)

novice

Guest
I bought an iron horse but there were some problems with how it was
assembled. I think this is right . The fork rest on the threaded thing
as shown in pic. It is hallow with small diameter. I assume the
clamping action gives it the strength?

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6725/ironhorse2uw.jpg

my brakes were wrong. and the spring on the quick release was
backwards.

novice wrote:
> I bought an iron horse but there were some problems with how it was
> assembled. I think this is right . The fork rest on the threaded thing
> as shown in pic. It is hallow with small diameter. I assume the
> clamping action gives it the strength?
>
> http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6725/ironhorse2uw.jpg
>
> my brakes were wrong. and the spring on the quick release was
> backwards.

Why don't you go bother the bike shop where you bought the bike rather
than troll Usenet?

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

novice wrote:
> I bought an iron horse but there were some problems with how it was
> assembled. I think this is right . The fork rest on the threaded thing

That's the front hub's axle.

> as shown in pic. It is hallow

It's hollow so the quick release skewer can pass through.

> with small diameter.

The skewer is about 5 mm in diameter, so the hole through the axle is
alittle bigger -- maybe 5.2 mm.

> I assume the clamping action gives it the strength?

Right. I found some instructions on using a quick release lever here:
http://www.bicyclinglife.com/HowTo/UseAQuickRelease.htm

> http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6725/ironhorse2uw.jpg
>
> my brakes were wrong. and the spring on the quick release was
> backwards.

Not sure what you mean here.

G.T. wrote:
> novice wrote:
> > I bought an iron horse but there were some problems with how it was
> > assembled. I think this is right . The fork rest on the threaded thing
> > as shown in pic. It is hallow with small diameter. I assume the
> > clamping action gives it the strength?
> >
> > http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6725/ironhorse2uw.jpg
> >
> > my brakes were wrong. and the spring on the quick release was
> > backwards.
> >

> Why don't you go bother the bike shop where you bought the bike rather
> than troll Usenet?
>
> Greg

For the time you spent slamming the guy, you could have either answered
the 'novice's' question or said nothing. If you don't know the answer,
just read it and go on.....'trolling' is in the mind of the beholder.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
>
>>novice wrote:
>>
>>>I bought an iron horse but there were some problems with how it was
>>>assembled. I think this is right . The fork rest on the threaded thing
>>>as shown in pic. It is hallow with small diameter. I assume the
>>>clamping action gives it the strength?
>>>
>>>http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6725/ironhorse2uw.jpg
>>>
>>>my brakes were wrong. and the spring on the quick release was
>>>backwards.
>>>

>>Why don't you go bother the bike shop where you bought the bike rather
>>than troll Usenet?
>>
>>Greg

> For the time you spent slamming the guy, you could have either answered
> the 'novice's' question or said nothing. If you don't know the answer,
> just read it and go on.....'trolling' is in the mind of the beholder.

Sure, the above post from the person who couldn't even be bothered to
look at his stem when removing it from the fork:

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5021/00005966tp.jpg

Damn, I figured that one out when I was 5 while I was working on my
Schwinn Stingray.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Waking to the sound of laughter

Thanks. I was saying that the bike was assembled wrong so I was
suspicious. The brake pads, for example, were misaligned causing the
brake pads to wear out in my first 30 minute ride.

"Right. I found some instructions on using a quick release lever here:
http://www.bicyclinglife.com/HowTo/UseAQuickRelease.htm"

That's a good link.

G.T. wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>> G.T. wrote:

>>> Why don't you go bother the bike shop where you bought the bike
>>> rather than troll Usenet?
>>>
>>> Greg

>> For the time you spent slamming the guy, you could have either
>> answered the 'novice's' question or said nothing. If you don't know
>> the answer, just read it and go on.....'trolling' is in the mind of
>> the beholder.

> Sure, the above post from the person who couldn't even be bothered to
> look at his stem when removing it from the fork:
>
> http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5021/00005966tp.jpg
>
> Damn, I figured that one out when I was 5 while I was working on my
> Schwinn Stingray.

Come on... we've all dealt with the utmost of mechanically inept people...
May I suggest a killfile? I was recommended this in recent weeks ;)

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

novice wrote:
> Thanks. I was saying that the bike was assembled wrong so I was
> suspicious. The brake pads, for example, were misaligned causing the
> brake pads to wear out in my first 30 minute ride.

30 minutes, huh? How far did you go in 30 minutes? That's a mighty
feat to wear brake pads out in 30 minutes even if you purposely kept the
brakes on.

Greg

--

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
>
>>Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

>>>For the time you spent slamming the guy, you could have either
>>>answered the 'novice's' question or said nothing. If you don't know
>>>the answer, just read it and go on.....'trolling' is in the mind of
>>>the beholder.

>>Sure, the above post from the person who couldn't even be bothered to
>>look at his stem when removing it from the fork:
>>
>>http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5021/00005966tp.jpg
>>
>>Damn, I figured that one out when I was 5 while I was working on my
>>Schwinn Stingray.

> Come on... we've all dealt with the utmost of mechanically inept people...
> May I suggest a killfile? I was recommended this in recent weeks ;)

Sure thing. My apologies to the troll, especially if he has a learning
disability.

Greg

--

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:16:55 -0700, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:

>Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>> G.T. wrote:

>>>Why don't you go bother the bike shop where you bought the bike rather
>>>than troll Usenet?
>>>
>>>Greg

>> For the time you spent slamming the guy, you could have either answered
>> the 'novice's' question or said nothing. If you don't know the answer,
>> just read it and go on.....'trolling' is in the mind of the beholder.
>>

>Sure, the above post from the person who couldn't even be bothered to
>look at his stem when removing it from the fork:
>
>http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5021/00005966tp.jpg

Gotta say, I'm with you on this. The guy who posted that is NOT allowed to
allege that his bicycle was misassembled - not based on his own expertise.

Ron