Quick Question on Rear Hub

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Dante Catoni, Jun 21, 2003.

  1. Dante Catoni

    Dante Catoni Guest

    Thanks for the info on the shifters guys. I got a set of SL-MC40 RapidFires for $35. They made an
    unbelievable difference.

    Now I have another question. If I coast or pedal backwards and then forward there is a lot of play
    before it catches. This is a problem with the rear hub, correct? I think I have Pulstar hubs which
    have a pretty poor reputation to begin with. I just want to replace the rear one. Any
    recommendations? I don't want to spend much money on it. Are Deores decent? I have 7 speeds.

    Thanks Dante

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Dante Catoni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:623Ja.1118$N%[email protected]...
    > Thanks for the info on the shifters guys. I got a set of SL-MC40 RapidFires for $35. They made an
    > unbelievable difference.
    >
    > Now I have another question. If I coast or pedal backwards and then forward there is a lot of play
    > before it catches. This is a problem with the rear hub, correct? I think I have Pulstar hubs which
    > have a pretty poor reputation to begin with. I just want to replace the rear one. Any
    > recommendations? I don't want to spend much money on it. Are Deores decent? I have 7 speeds.
    >
    > Thanks Dante

    Not sure about your current hub, but XT rears are pretty reliable and dirt cheap...$39
    http://cambriabike.com/hubs/shimano_xt_m756_disc_brake_hubs.htm . You might want to consider getting
    a XT disc hub just for future use and upgrade to 8/9 speed?
    --
    Slacker

  3. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Dante Catoni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:623Ja.1118$N%[email protected]...
    | Thanks for the info on the shifters guys. I got a set of SL-MC40
    RapidFires
    | for $35. They made an unbelievable difference.
    |
    | Now I have another question. If I coast or pedal backwards and then
    forward
    | there is a lot of play before it catches. This is a problem with the rear hub, correct? I think I
    | have Pulstar hubs which have a pretty poor reputation to begin with. I just want to replace the
    | rear one. Any recommendations? I don't want to spend much money on it. Are Deores
    decent?
    | I have 7 speeds.
    |
    | Thanks Dante

    The current crop of hubs are almost always made for 8/9 speeds. You can put 7s cassettes on them
    fairly easily by using a spacer behind the last cog. Doing this, it is very important to make sure
    the limits stay set on the derailleur so you don't jam the chain down in the larger gap behind the
    largest cog.

    There is a better solution, though you really have to go to a LBS that knows what they are doing.
    Some distributors still have 7s cassette bodies in stock and if your LBS can get them (one dist. I
    know still had 7s XT in stock as of 6 months ago) then they can be fitted onto any Shimano hub. It
    takes some respacing on the other side but it will actually let you build a slightly stronger wheel,
    as there will be less dish.

    For that matter, you might check whether the pulstar hub used the Shimano interface on the cassette
    body. If so, just replace that.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 6/18/2003