Quick question on rear wheel removal.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Cusp, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Cusp

Cusp New Member

haha - sorry for the basic question .... but just can't seem to find the info anywhere.

How do I shift the rear derailer to the smallest sprocket while not riding the bike? The bike is stationary with me off of it.

haha - I need one hand to shift, one to pedal ... and the 3rd to lift the wheel off the ground. haha. I just wish I had that 3rd hand.

Thanks!

Tags:

2. Capisce

Capisce New Member

Simplest is to shift down as many times as possible, then lift with one hand and turn pedal with the other. Repeat procedure til you are at the smallest sprocket.

3. Cusp

Cusp New Member

Perfect. Thanks!

4. rule62

rule62 New Member

Stand on the right side of the bike, holding onto the handlebars with your right hand and the back of the saddle with your left. With your left leg, position the right pedal so that it is poised at the top of its pedal stroke, like at 1 or 2 o'clock.

Shift.

Lift the bike by the back of the seat with your left hand, and push down the right pedal your left leg.

Repeat until you have your chain properly positioned to remove the wheel.

If you are worried about getting chain ring tatooed in this process, you can do all of this from the other side of the bike as well. It is just a little harder to reach across and shift.

Cheers!

5. Slugster438

Slugster438 New Member

Well it's easy: move the shift lever to the smallest position, tilt the bike onto its kickstand and front wheel with one hand, and spin the cranks forward with the other hand until the chain falls onto the smallest sprocket.

Your bicycle does have a kickstand, doesn't it?.....

6. jasong

jasong New Member

put head under seatpost, raise, and shift _while_ pedaling with your hands. Don't shift if your not pedalling.