Quick Question One Wheel Size (650c/700c).

puma

Jul 23, 2003
I'm just wondering, is any fork compatible w/ either size (650c/700c). Is this just a matter of adjusting the brake pads? Does the length of a fork brake mount to the fork wheel mount imply a more compatible size? I'm kind of clueless/confused on this.

Originally posted by puma
I'm just wondering, is any fork compatible w/ either size (650c/700c). Is this just a matter of adjusting the brake pads? Does the length of a fork brake mount to the fork wheel mount imply a more compatible size? I'm kind of clueless/confused on t
his.

1. [/list=1]

Clueless,
    There really is not a fork that will let you use a 700c wheel or a 650c wheel with rim brakes. The only way that it would work is if you use Avid Mechanical brakes on your frame. They do make a brake that works well with drop bar brake levers. The trail for a 700c wheel with a 45mm fork rake and a 73 degree head tube angle is 59mm and for the 650c wheel it would be 51mm for the same setup. That brings up another problem , it would lower your crankarm clearance to the ground by about 25 mm. The trail function looks like it would be exceptable but not the crankarm clearance. you would also need to weld on disk tabs. Does not seem like a good idea. Hope this makes sense to you.

Originally posted by puma
I'm just wondering, is any fork compatible w/ either size (650c/700c). Is this just a matter of adjusting the brake pads? Does the length of a fork brake mount to the fork wheel mount imply a more compatible size? I'm kind of clueless/confused on this.
700c forks go with frames built for 700c wheels.650c for 650 frames.They are not interchangable,and you cannot adjust the brakes to make it work. Besides that trying to switch them screws up geometry and handling among other things.