Quick question re Craigslist bike. Seems like a good deal to me. Am I missing anything?

SierraSlim

Oct 4, 2010
[COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, Y'all![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I just found this bike listed on Craigslist for $385. It has some of the things I want, like an 8-speed internal gear hub on the rear and derailleur on the front, upright riding geometry, disc brakes, high-spoke-count rims, etc. It may be a little small for me, but since the seat post and stem are adjustable, it may not. I'll certainly try it before any money changes hands. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff] I haven't actually seen the bike yet, because if y'all say it isn't good, I'm not going to bother. The seller says it has been sitting in the garage most of the time and could use a tune up, but is otherwise in good condition except for a small crack on the fender. He says his coworker bought it new in 2008, and sold it to him last year when he moved; since then, his 17-year-old son rode it for a while, but now has a car, and the bike is too small for the seller himself.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]The question is, is this a good, solid, dependable bike for the money? Are Jamis good bikes? Or does my search continue? [/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff]I appreciate your input, as always. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]JAMIS COMMUTER 4.0 FIRST IMPRESSIONS, WITH ALFINE INTERNAL GEAR HUB (picture below)[/COLOR]

[SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b]These are the specs by reviewer[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b]Richard Masoner, who specifically reviewed the First Impressions bike of the Jamis 4 Commuter line. I deleted the specs identical to ones below.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
  • [SIZE= 14pt]TIG Welded 6061 aluminum frame and fork[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE= 14pt]Shimano R440 front dérailleur[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE= 14pt]27.2 mm suspension seatpost[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE= 14pt]30.5 lbs. MSRP: $835.00[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b]These are the specs on the Jamis website[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b] for the Jamis Commuter 4 line in general. (I couldn't find specs specifically for the Commuter 4 First Impressions bike).[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b]FRAME:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b] 6061 aluminum, sloping double triangle frame design, Future-Form super-lite custom fenders with SS hardware.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b]FORK: [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b]Aluminum straight blade for disc with cro-moly steerer.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b]WHEELS: [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b]Weinmann SPHYNX double wall 700c rims w/eyelets, Shimano Nexus 8-speed internal rear & Formula alloy QR front hub, stainless steel spokes.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b]TIRES: [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b]Kenda Kwest 700 x 32c with K-Shield flat protection and reflective side stripe.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b]DRIVETRAIN: [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b]Shimano Alfine 8-speed internal w/Nexus SL-S500 Rapid Fire shifter and chain tensioner, Shimano front derailleur, FSA Vero alloy crankset with guard, and cartridge BB, 34/48T, 16 speeds.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b]COCKPIT: [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b]Swept-back classic-style city bike bar, Satori adjustable-rise alloy stem, suspension seatpost, Jamis Street saddle.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b]BRAKESET:[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b] Shimano BR-M415 mechanical disc brake with [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b]Tektro Tenera comfort levers. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14pt][COLOR= #58595b]
jamis_c4.jpg
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff] (Sa [/COLOR]

Every 20th post on craigslist in the bike section seems to be "wanted - my stolen bike back..."

It 'might' give you an indication of where a fair amount of craigslist bikes come from...

Bikepedia is a great website for getting specs on bikes, as well as the original M.S.R.P.

http://www.bikepedia.com/

To check for used bikes and prices by make and model, the following website is helpful:

http://bike.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/bike.cgi?cat=bik&itm=centurion

The bike in the picture above looks to be a fairly new one, probably a 2009 model. They have an M.S.R.P. of $1050.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecsFB.aspx?Year=2009&Brand=Jamis&Model=Commuter%204.0&Type=bike

Older models are different, and had an M.S.R.P. about half that of the 2009 model (not adjusting for inflation). The model you saw on the website (current model) may not be what you are getting in the ad (most likely an older model). You will also be giving up a warranty and any other services a local bike shop would offer. It may or may not need repairs and parts replacement. $385 is a good chunk of change for a used bike, especially for an older one that may need work...a $100 used bike purchase by someone who does their own repairs and parts sourcing is a totally different situration. Check the websites above, look for reviews, and don't be too hasty with this one.

Reactions: SierraSlim
I agree 100% with cycleheimer's comments and advice. However, IF it fits you and IF you determine the deal is legitimate, it appears to be a nice bike for you. It's an internal gear bike with adjustable stem, and you could put a mustache bar or other style bar on it. The disc brake and generator/light are things you might not need, but they might be nice to have. The wheel/tire combination appears to be just what you want. Just be careful and good luck. Steve

Fron the specifications alone, it appears to be a good bike. Jamis is a very good bicycle manufacturer and their bikes have won several top ratings in their class over the years. The Alfine IGH is Shimano's higher level IGH. Mechanical disc brakes are a nice touch. Weinmann has been making good quality rims for forever and Vittoria does not make a low quality tires. Everything else on this bike just screams good to high quality.

Now, as everyone else has stated, if the bike is in very good condition, the price is pretty darned good. I think that Mr. Slim could take care of a bike that is in pretty good condition. If the bike looks like they just fished it out of a lake somewhere, well then it is a different story. All in all, go see the bike and take Mr. Slim with you. If you have any questions concerning anything that might need repaired, ask the owner if you could take the bike to your LBS and have them check it over, at your own expense of course. You do have a trusty LBS already, don't you?

If I were looking for a comfort bike and it was my size, and it looked like the photo, I would be all over it!!!!!

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Every 20th post on craigslist in the bike section seems to be "wanted - my stolen bike back..."

It 'might' give you an indication of where a fair amount of craigslist bikes come from...

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, Swampy![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I do know that a lot of the bikes on CL are stolen. But having talked to this guy, I don't think that's the case here (though of course I could always be wrong). He seems like a pretty upright guy, speaks intelligently and articulately, and doesn't sound like the guys I've seen selling a $500 bike for $65 for some drug money. If I did buy it and found out it was stolen, I would have to return it to the rightful owner, and call the $350 the 'stupid tax,' lol. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for watching out for me! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Cycleheimer,[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]You provide some great links! I had recently found Bikepedia, but had never seen the other one; how handy is that![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I will definitely be more cautious when/if buying a used bike than I even am in my search for a new one. I thought maybe if it was in good-enough shape, it may be worth the risk of not having a warranty. Since it's $900 less than the new one I'm currently considering, that would buy a lot of new tires or minor gadgets.... and would allow me to save up money for my dream bike for a year or so, while still training for my credit-card tour. The seller did say this one has a crack on the fender, which makes me leery; but if that's all that's wrong with it, fenders aren't that expensive (I've been looking, since most of the bikes I like don't have them, lol). [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I will keep your cautions in mind as I shop. And thanks for the input! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hey, Steve![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I was waiting for your post, lol. Love your recommendations![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]You said you agreed with Cycleheimer, and I nearly fell over. After the past 3 weeks, I didn't think I was ever gonna get any two of you to agree on ANYTHING, lol. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I agree that the bike COULD be a great deal for me; that's what I'm a little excited about it, because it's the first used one I've seen that comes close. There are a lot of IFs involved, and I will proceed, if at all, very cautiously. The temptation to save hundreds of dollars is strong -- but not if I end up spending it on repairs! So I will be definitely careful. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]My hubby, the techy, was excited about the disc brakes and generator light, lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for being there.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, KD![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Your post was full of such good information! The first paragraph especially helped, since I don't know yet which brand names are good quality. Thanks![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Your suggestion to take the bike to a LBS was excellent. Part of both the problem -- and a good thing -- is that the bike is a 2-hour drive away. So neither can I rush over and fall in love and buy something on the spur of the moment -- nor can I take it to any bike shop I'm familiar with, since it's out of town. I will have to rely on myself, your cautions, and Mr. Slim (LOVE that name, lol), who is even more cautious and suspicious a character than I am, so if there's something wrong with it than can be seen sans a microscopie, he'll likely find it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]As always, I appreciate the help. I might have grown a few brain cells today! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

if the frame is too small than its not only the seat height changes but also the space between the seat and the handle bars and the pedals and the front tyre. dont 4get if you are planning on rideing the bike offroad than you will have to change the tyres and the front suspension.

looks like a very decent bike andthing with internal gear hub is awsum!!!

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, Theo![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks for that information; I had not thought of the difference between the seat and handlebars, and pedals and tire. That's why I come on here so often; y'all are full of such helpful information that bike-manufacturer websites assume I already know, lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks a lot! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

Sierra, After reading the updated post with seller's comments, and seeing the updated specs and original price, I'd say that everything lines up pretty well. It seems like a nice bike for you. Depreciation of about 50% seems reasonable for this bike, I guess. Given the seller's story, he may not have much more than (his asking price) in it, and it's of no use to him. However, it would still be good to see if he has the original receipt, or if the bike was ever registered in any jurisdiction. Other than that, you'll have to go by your First Impression riding it, and your instincts. Good luck.

The updated photo is of a model from about two years ago. Jamis has changed the specs on that bike over the years. Make sure you have a rough idea of which model year it is. It will make a difference, especially when it comes time to negotiate the price. If it is a 2008 model in excellent shape (paint and metal finish in pristine condition, brakes and gears properly adjusted, good tires, wheels properly aligned) and it is the correct size, you may want to consider it...especially if you like the idea of going on a road trip.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Steve --[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]You said, "... go with your First Impression." You clever thing you! Took me a minute to catch that one. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Cycleheimer, thanks for the input too. I may end up not buying this bike, because it's a 2-hour drive away and I've come down with a nasty cold that's heading to bronchitis (otherwise, I would have gone to see it yesterday!). But I will definitely try, if I go, to check it out for general condition. My problem -- which is why I'll take Frugal Hubby -- is that I have no idea how to tell if gears are properly adjusted, other than that they're not falling off, lol. But I'm learning, I'm learning![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Have a great day, y'all. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Awwww, Steve....[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks, Sweetie. I'd blow you a kiss but it would be full of germs, lol. Even Dear Hubby wouldn't kiss me this morning except from across the room. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/tongue.gif[/COLOR]