quick release axles

10timesbetter

Oct 7, 2004
I just got another bike off one of my friends, and I haven't decided if i'm going to eventually turn it into a fixed gear yet or not, but it has the quick release axles on both wheels. The wheel has a cassette on it, so i know if i was to turn it into a fixed gear, it would need a whole new hub anyway, but until i decide, I could always just turn it into a single speed, my only concern, was whether or not the axle holds tight enough to keep the wheel from moving when i've gotta start pedaling in a higher gear than i do now. I know on my fixed gear i've gotta tighten the bolts pretty good to keep the wheel from moving, I wasn't sure what you guys thought about it, I think the only times i've had trouble with it moving was when i would skid, so that might not be a problem if it wasn't fixed on this bike, just curious what you guys thought,

10timesbetter said:
I just got another bike off one of my friends, and I haven't decided if i'm going to eventually turn it into a fixed gear yet or not, but it has the quick release axles on both wheels. The wheel has a cassette on it, so i know if i was to turn it into a fixed gear, it would need a whole new hub anyway, but until i decide, I could always just turn it into a single speed, my only concern, was whether or not the axle holds tight enough to keep the wheel from moving when i've gotta start pedaling in a higher gear than i do now. I know on my fixed gear i've gotta tighten the bolts pretty good to keep the wheel from moving, I wasn't sure what you guys thought about it, I think the only times i've had trouble with it moving was when i would skid, so that might not be a problem if it wasn't fixed on this bike, just curious what you guys thought,
ive had quck release on my fixie for 10 months and it has been fine. Mine is a steel KHS with steel QR if that makes any difference.

nuts and bolts drove me up the wall!