Quick release nuts?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Keven Ruf, Apr 8, 2003.

  1. Keven Ruf

    Keven Ruf Guest

    Is there a product that converts a quick release wheel to a track-legal wheel (ie no lever)?

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "Keven Ruf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is there a product that converts a quick release wheel to a track-legal wheel (ie no lever)?

    There are products that allow you to replace the QR skewer with a similar diameter rod with
    allen key nuts on the ends. However, I don't think you'll get enough gripping force on the rear
    wheel of a track bike with these although I suspect you must have a rear track wheel with a
    solid axle and nuts?

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  3. On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 19:43:01 +0000, S. Anderson wrote:

    > "Keven Ruf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Is there a product that converts a quick release wheel to a track-legal wheel (ie no lever)?
    >
    > There are products that allow you to replace the QR skewer with a similar diameter rod with allen
    > key nuts on the ends. However, I don't think you'll get enough gripping force on the rear wheel
    > of a track bike with these although I suspect you must have a rear track wheel with a solid axle
    > and nuts?

    Such a "slow-release" works fine on my rear wheel. I may not be Marty Nothstein, but I climb a lot
    of hills on my track bike and it does not slip. Of course, QRs also work.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you _`\(,_ | killed all of us?
    From every corner of Europe, hundreds, (_)/ (_) | thousands would rise up to take our places.
    Even Nazis can't kill that fast. -- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Keven Ruf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is there a product that converts a quick release wheel to a track-legal wheel (ie no lever)?

    There are, your LBS should be able to order you a set.

    The front works like a champ, the rear isn't the best way to go about making a rear wheel "track
    legal." I know several of my trackie teammates that use the bolt-on skewer for their Zipp discs, but
    they really have to crank down on the tension to get the rear wheel to stay.

    If you have an axle that you can thread for the bolts that the Thule racks use, American Classic
    makes some washers that are serrated that work well. I have a Zipp 340/Am Classic hub with their
    track axle kit that is great for changing out gears: you only need a 5mm wrench to change gears.

    Mike

  5. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2003 19:43:01 +0000, S. Anderson wrote:
    >

    > Such a "slow-release" works fine on my rear wheel. I may not be Marty Nothstein, but I climb a lot
    > of hills on my track bike and it does not slip. Of course, QRs also work.
    >
    > --
    >
    > David L. Johnson
    >
    > __o | And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you _`\(,_ | killed all of
    > us? From every corner of Europe, hundreds, (_)/ (_) | thousands would rise up to take our
    > places. Even Nazis can't kill that fast. -- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

    I've seen them work fine on road bikes with horizontal dropouts too, come to think of it. So I take
    it back, give'em a shot and they should be fine.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  6. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >Is there a product that converts a quick release wheel to a track-legal wheel (ie no lever)?

    Most QR axles are threade, so you could put the appropriate nuts on the axle. Some that are not
    threaded on the outside, such as bullseye, are threaded on the inside so that you could use a small
    screw and washer to hold the wheel in place.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  7. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected]
    > says...
    > >

    > >Is there a product that converts a quick release wheel to a track-legal wheel (ie no lever)?
    >
    > Most QR axles are threade, so you could put the appropriate nuts on the axle. Some that are not
    > threaded on the outside, such as bullseye, are threaded on the inside so that you could use a
    > small screw and washer to hold the wheel in place.

    Assuming the axle was long enough to go the whole way through the dropouts and had enough space
    outside to put a nut and washer on.