Quick Release Problems

87Trek

Jun 29, 2006
I was bored the other night, so I decided to take my quick release lever on the front and powdercoat it.
DSC00156.jpg

However, when I put the part in the oven to bake it, I think I might have messed something up. This one part (pictured below) doesnt want to stay in.
DSC00154.jpg

DSC00153.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

Did I completly mess up my part? Also, I only had one spring inside the quick release. Is that normal? Is my spring too messed up to even use?
DSC00155.jpg

In general, do I need to buy a new part?

19? Damn, I was still preoccupied with masturbation at 19...

Looks like a nylock part to stop the nut from unscrewing...

87Trek said:
... This one part (pictured below) doesnt want to stay in.

DSC00153.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

Did I completly mess up my part? Also, I only had one spring inside the quick release. Is that normal? Is my spring too messed up to even use?
DSC00155.jpg

In general, do I need to buy a new part?
You do NOT need to buy a new skewer ...

The plug is cosmetic ...

While there are generally two springs, they are for convenience ... the pictured spring is useable.

If you want to secure the plug in the end cap, then you just need some tub-and-tile ADHESIVE caulk (<$2 for a re-sealable tube):
  • spread a SMALL amount of caulk in the upainted cavity of the end cap ...
  • thread the skewer into the end cap until the tip is just protruding into the cavity ...
  • push the plug into the cavity (I recommend the UN-painted side facing out) as far as you can
  • thread the skewer further into the end cap until it engages the plug
  • thread the skewer into the plug ... the plug will probably rotate a bit ...
  • begin to unthread the skewer to pull the plug into the cavity
HOPEFULLY, when you unthread the skewer you will pull the plug as flush to the end of the cap as it originally was ... you may have to tweak the alignment by threading the skewer into the plug a second-or-third time & unthreading the skewer to pull the plug further into the end cap.

When you are satisfied with the way the plug sits in the end cap, then set the assembly aside for a day-or-two to let the caulk to dry/set.

BTW. There are other adhesives, but you don't want something that will harden over time like epoxy ...