Quick Release to Fixed Hub

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by icewhain, Oct 18, 2004.

  1. icewhain

    icewhain Guest

    How do I change my front wheel from quick release to bolted? I
    thought it would be simple: get a steel skewer the same size as the
    quick release one, and put a bolt on either end.

    Tags:

  2. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    icewhain wrote:
    > How do I change my front wheel from quick release to bolted? I
    > thought it would be simple: get a steel skewer the same size as the
    > quick release one, and put a bolt on either end.

    You need to replace the axle with one that extends past the dropouts.
    This requires changing out the cones, spacers and lock washers from one
    the old axle to the new one (with a conventional hub-cartridge bearing
    hubs vary). You'll be able to screw axle *nuts* onto the longer ends.
    Just curious, why?

    Shawn

  3. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    "icewhain" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > How do I change my front wheel from quick release to bolted? I
    > thought it would be simple: get a steel skewer the same size as the
    > quick release one, and put a bolt on either end.

    It is simple but you need to buy a solid axle. They're a bit longer than the
    QR ones and are not expensive. You need to then disassemble the hub and swap
    the cones, locknuts and other gubbins over to the new axle, taking care to
    get the spacing right.

    HTH

    Andy Chequer

  4. icewhain wrote:
    > How do I change my front wheel from quick release to bolted? I
    > thought it would be simple: get a steel skewer the same size as the
    > quick release one, and put a bolt on either end.

    You can switch to a solid axle as others have suggested, but you can also
    get a bolt-in skewer (they use allen bolts). They should be available as a
    set (front and rear wheels plus seatpost) at any LBS.

  6. icewhain wrote:
    > How do I change my front wheel from quick release to bolted? I
    > thought it would be simple: get a steel skewer the same size as the
    > quick release one, and put a bolt on either end.

    You can switch to a solid axle as others have suggested, but you can also
    get a bolt-in skewer (they use allen bolts). They should be available as a
    set (front and rear wheels plus seatpost) at any LBS.

  7. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Jacobe Hazzard" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >icewhain wrote:
    >> How do I change my front wheel from quick release to bolted? I
    >> thought it would be simple: get a steel skewer the same size as the
    >> quick release one, and put a bolt on either end.

    >You can switch to a solid axle as others have suggested, but you can also
    >get a bolt-in skewer (they use allen bolts). They should be available as a
    >set (front and rear wheels plus seatpost) at any LBS.

    It should be mentioned that the "leverless" skewers are probably less
    secure than a quality steel QR skewer (unless you are talking about
    theft, in which case they're more secure). A good QR can apply a
    surprising amount of "squeeze" to the dropouts - it's hard (read,
    impossible) to duplicate that with the bolted skewers I've seen.

    So if the intention was to make the front wheel less likely to
    loosen... this may be the wrong direction. If it's to prevent a quick
    theft (or even to save a few grams), the leverless skewer might be OK.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  8. icewhain

    icewhain Guest

    Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>> How do I change my front wheel from quick release to bolted? I
    >>> thought it would be simple: get a steel skewer the same size as the
    >>> quick release one, and put a bolt on either end.

    >>You can switch to a solid axle as others have suggested, but you can also
    >>get a bolt-in skewer (they use allen bolts). They should be available as a
    >>set (front and rear wheels plus seatpost) at any LBS.

    >It should be mentioned that the "leverless" skewers are probably less
    >secure than a quality steel QR skewer (unless you are talking about
    >theft, in which case they're more secure). A good QR can apply a
    >surprising amount of "squeeze" to the dropouts - it's hard (read,
    >impossible) to duplicate that with the bolted skewers I've seen.
    >
    >So if the intention was to make the front wheel less likely to
    >loosen... this may be the wrong direction. If it's to prevent a quick
    >theft (or even to save a few grams), the leverless skewer might be OK.

    Hi. Thanks for all your posts.

    I want to change it to prevent theft. So I think I'll go for the
    leverless skewer.

  9. icewhain

    icewhain Guest

  10. icewhain wrote:
    >> I want to change it to prevent theft. So I think I'll go for the
    >> leverless skewer.

    > Wow. They aren't cheap...
    > http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=11069

    You can get allen bolt skewers for much less than that. Those skewers are
    expensive because of the kryptonite name and because they use special keys
    to open and close that provide a slightly greater degree of security. My
    experience is that allen bolts are plenty secure, even in high theft
    areas, unless you have some pretty shiny wheels.

  11. JoelM

    JoelM New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2004
    I've heard a few doubts as to how well the kryptonite levers hold tight.
    These are worth checking out: http://www.myquicklock.com/mtbr/howitworks.html#
    basically quick releases with a detachable lever. Read the article too. Apparently they have 100 different patterns to assure that a thief cant just buy a set and go around snatching up components as usual.
    I am seriously considering getting these when I get my nice bike :)

  12. JoelM

    JoelM New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2004
    Forgot to mention, it's worth noting their "guarantee." http://www.myquicklock.com/mtbr/guarantee.html
    If your wheels get jacked, you'll get your 45 bucks back if your lucky, otherwise youre SOL on the cost of the components.

  13. JoelM wrote:
    > I've heard a few doubts as to how well the kryptonite levers hold
    > tight.
    >
    > These are worth checking out:
    > http://www.myquicklock.com/mtbr/howitworks.html#
    > basically quick releases with a detachable lever. Read the article
    > too. Apparently they have 100 different patterns to assure that a
    > thief cant just buy a set and go around snatching up components as
    > usual.
    > I am seriously considering getting these when I get my nice bike :)

    Those look more secure against theft than the kryptonite skewers, which
    present a fairly large surface that can be manupulated with ordinary tools
    (pliers, screwdriver, etc.)

  14. icewhain

    icewhain Guest

    "Jacobe Hazzard" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> I've heard a few doubts as to how well the kryptonite levers hold
    >> tight.
    >>
    >> These are worth checking out:
    >> http://www.myquicklock.com/mtbr/howitworks.html#
    >> basically quick releases with a detachable lever. Read the article
    >> too. Apparently they have 100 different patterns to assure that a
    >> thief cant just buy a set and go around snatching up components as
    >> usual.
    >> I am seriously considering getting these when I get my nice bike :)

    >Those look more secure against theft than the kryptonite skewers, which
    >present a fairly large surface that can be manupulated with ordinary tools
    >(pliers, screwdriver, etc.)

    I ordered some from a LBS for £13.99 inc postage. They're allen key
    ones, but it's really to prevent opportunists/kids from undoing my
    front wheel. (They are not shiny at all).