Quick Release to Fixed Hub

icewhain

Guest
How do I change my front wheel from quick release to bolted? I
thought it would be simple: get a steel skewer the same size as the
quick release one, and put a bolt on either end.

icewhain wrote:
> How do I change my front wheel from quick release to bolted? I
> thought it would be simple: get a steel skewer the same size as the
> quick release one, and put a bolt on either end.

You need to replace the axle with one that extends past the dropouts.
This requires changing out the cones, spacers and lock washers from one
the old axle to the new one (with a conventional hub-cartridge bearing
hubs vary). You'll be able to screw axle *nuts* onto the longer ends.
Just curious, why?

Shawn

"icewhain" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How do I change my front wheel from quick release to bolted? I
> thought it would be simple: get a steel skewer the same size as the
> quick release one, and put a bolt on either end.

It is simple but you need to buy a solid axle. They're a bit longer than the
QR ones and are not expensive. You need to then disassemble the hub and swap
the cones, locknuts and other gubbins over to the new axle, taking care to
get the spacing right.

HTH

Andy Chequer

icewhain wrote:
> How do I change my front wheel from quick release to bolted? I
> thought it would be simple: get a steel skewer the same size as the
> quick release one, and put a bolt on either end.

You can switch to a solid axle as others have suggested, but you can also
get a bolt-in skewer (they use allen bolts). They should be available as a
set (front and rear wheels plus seatpost) at any LBS.

"Jacobe Hazzard" <[email protected]> wrote:

>icewhain wrote:
>> How do I change my front wheel from quick release to bolted? I
>> thought it would be simple: get a steel skewer the same size as the
>> quick release one, and put a bolt on either end.

>You can switch to a solid axle as others have suggested, but you can also
>get a bolt-in skewer (they use allen bolts). They should be available as a
>set (front and rear wheels plus seatpost) at any LBS.

It should be mentioned that the "leverless" skewers are probably less
secure than a quality steel QR skewer (unless you are talking about
theft, in which case they're more secure). A good QR can apply a
surprising amount of "squeeze" to the dropouts - it's hard (read,
impossible) to duplicate that with the bolted skewers I've seen.

So if the intention was to make the front wheel less likely to
loosen... this may be the wrong direction. If it's to prevent a quick
theft (or even to save a few grams), the leverless skewer might be OK.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> How do I change my front wheel from quick release to bolted? I
>>> thought it would be simple: get a steel skewer the same size as the
>>> quick release one, and put a bolt on either end.

>>You can switch to a solid axle as others have suggested, but you can also
>>get a bolt-in skewer (they use allen bolts). They should be available as a
>>set (front and rear wheels plus seatpost) at any LBS.

>It should be mentioned that the "leverless" skewers are probably less
>secure than a quality steel QR skewer (unless you are talking about
>theft, in which case they're more secure). A good QR can apply a
>surprising amount of "squeeze" to the dropouts - it's hard (read,
>impossible) to duplicate that with the bolted skewers I've seen.
>
>So if the intention was to make the front wheel less likely to
>loosen... this may be the wrong direction. If it's to prevent a quick
>theft (or even to save a few grams), the leverless skewer might be OK.

Hi. Thanks for all your posts.

I want to change it to prevent theft. So I think I'll go for the
leverless skewer.

icewhain wrote:
>> I want to change it to prevent theft. So I think I'll go for the
>> leverless skewer.

> Wow. They aren't cheap...
> http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=11069

You can get allen bolt skewers for much less than that. Those skewers are
expensive because of the kryptonite name and because they use special keys
to open and close that provide a slightly greater degree of security. My
experience is that allen bolts are plenty secure, even in high theft
areas, unless you have some pretty shiny wheels.

I've heard a few doubts as to how well the kryptonite levers hold tight.
These are worth checking out: http://www.myquicklock.com/mtbr/howitworks.html#
basically quick releases with a detachable lever. Read the article too. Apparently they have 100 different patterns to assure that a thief cant just buy a set and go around snatching up components as usual.
I am seriously considering getting these when I get my nice bike :)

Jacobe Hazzard said:
icewhain wrote:
>> I want to change it to prevent theft. So I think I'll go for the
>> leverless skewer.

> Wow. They aren't cheap...
> http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=11069

You can get allen bolt skewers for much less than that. Those skewers are
expensive because of the kryptonite name and because they use special keys
to open and close that provide a slightly greater degree of security. My
experience is that allen bolts are plenty secure, even in high theft
areas, unless you have some pretty shiny wheels.

Forgot to mention, it's worth noting their "guarantee." http://www.myquicklock.com/mtbr/guarantee.html
If your wheels get jacked, you'll get your 45 bucks back if your lucky, otherwise youre SOL on the cost of the components.

JoelM wrote:
> I've heard a few doubts as to how well the kryptonite levers hold
> tight.
>
> These are worth checking out:
> http://www.myquicklock.com/mtbr/howitworks.html#
> basically quick releases with a detachable lever. Read the article
> too. Apparently they have 100 different patterns to assure that a
> thief cant just buy a set and go around snatching up components as
> usual.
> I am seriously considering getting these when I get my nice bike :)

Those look more secure against theft than the kryptonite skewers, which
present a fairly large surface that can be manupulated with ordinary tools
(pliers, screwdriver, etc.)

"Jacobe Hazzard" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I've heard a few doubts as to how well the kryptonite levers hold
>> tight.
>>
>> These are worth checking out:
>> http://www.myquicklock.com/mtbr/howitworks.html#
>> basically quick releases with a detachable lever. Read the article
>> too. Apparently they have 100 different patterns to assure that a
>> thief cant just buy a set and go around snatching up components as
>> usual.
>> I am seriously considering getting these when I get my nice bike :)

>Those look more secure against theft than the kryptonite skewers, which
>present a fairly large surface that can be manupulated with ordinary tools
>(pliers, screwdriver, etc.)

I ordered some from a LBS for £13.99 inc postage. They're allen key
ones, but it's really to prevent opportunists/kids from undoing my
front wheel. (They are not shiny at all).