Quick simple meals

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Bargain52.com, Nov 29, 2005.

  1. Im trying to save money so I have decided to start cooking instead of
    going out to eat all the time. The only problem is that I really don't
    know how to cook so I was wondering if anyone could let me know of
    some quick simple meals that I can cook. Something thats good but not
    complicated or time consuming. Thanks!

    Find the best deals online @ Bargain52.com

    Tags:

  2. salgud

    salgud Guest

    Bargain52.com wrote:
    > Im trying to save money so I have decided to start cooking instead of
    > going out to eat all the time. The only problem is that I really don't
    > know how to cook so I was wondering if anyone could let me know of
    > some quick simple meals that I can cook. Something thats good but not
    > complicated or time consuming. Thanks!
    >

    > Find the best deals online @ Bargain52.com

    It would help to have more information. What kinds of food do you
    like/dislike? Are you a "meat and potatos" type, or a veggie freak? Low
    sodium, lo carb, j-lo? There are thousands of easy recipes, and some of
    us here will be happy to help.
    I also suggest you go to the bookstore and look for beginner cookbooks.
    One of the first I bought was "Make it Easy in your Kitchen" by Laurie
    Burroghs Grad. I still use it, even though I bought it in 1983. Some
    great recipes in there, most take 30 min or less to prepare, though
    some take hours to cook. She has a newer one now, available at Amazon.

  3. Bargain52.com wrote:
    > Im trying to save money so I have decided to start cooking instead of
    > going out to eat all the time. The only problem is that I really don't
    > know how to cook so I was wondering if anyone could let me know of
    > some quick simple meals that I can cook. Something thats good but not
    > complicated or time consuming. Thanks!

    Menu: Hamburger, steamed broccoli, baked potato.

    Menu: Baked chicken pieces, baked acorn squash, Caesar salad.

    Menu: Broiled fish (salmon, mahi-mahi or any other firm fleshed fish),
    rice, boiled carrots with lemon and ginger.

    HTH
    --Lia

  4. Arnold

    Arnold Guest

    Baked beans on toast? ;-)

    "Bargain52.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Im trying to save money so I have decided to start cooking instead of
    > going out to eat all the time. The only problem is that I really don't
    > know how to cook so I was wondering if anyone could let me know of
    > some quick simple meals that I can cook. Something thats good but not
    > complicated or time consuming. Thanks!
    >

    > Find the best deals online @ Bargain52.com

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Bargain52.com" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Im trying to save money so I have decided to start cooking instead of
    > going out to eat all the time. The only problem is that I really don't
    > know how to cook so I was wondering if anyone could let me know of
    > some quick simple meals that I can cook. Something thats good but not
    > complicated or time consuming. Thanks!
    >

    > Find the best deals online @ Bargain52.com

    You have no idea what a complicated question this is. :)

    Pick up a large foreman type grill with removable plates for easy
    washing. That's a real time saver for making good meats. I have a
    Hamilton Beach brand and I love it.

    I grill chicken wings, burgers, steaks, pork chops, chicken legs,
    chicken breasts, eggrolls, grilled sandwiches etc. That's just a start.
    Serve a piece of grilled meat with a side of steamed veggies. An iris
    steamer in a small pot will do, or nuking fresh, canned or fresh frozen
    veggies also works.

    Meat and veggies, some toast or rolls on the side or a potatoe baked in
    the microwave (wrap in wax paper and nuke for 5 to 8 minutes depending
    on the size of the spud).

    These are just a start. Stir fry's are also very simple, fast and
    versatile.

    I rarely ever spend more than 20 minutes making a good, nutritous meal
    from fresh and fresh frozen ingredients.

    I attempt more complex stuff on the weekends when I have time. ;-)

    Hope this helps?
    --
    Om.

  6. aem

    aem Guest

    Bargain52.com wrote:
    > Im trying to save money so I have decided to start cooking instead of
    > going out to eat all the time. The only problem is that I really don't
    > know how to cook so I was wondering if anyone could let me know of
    > some quick simple meals that I can cook. Something thats good but not
    > complicated or time consuming. Thanks!

    If you want to learn to cook, a good book that covers the basics can
    teach you how to make many simple good meals. Decent cooking is not
    rocket science but reliable guidance is important. There are a number
    of good books; one which I can recommend is "How To Cook Everything" by
    Mark Bittman. -aem

  7. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Bargain52.com wrote:
    >> Im trying to save money so I have decided to start cooking instead of
    >> going out to eat all the time. The only problem is that I really don't
    >> know how to cook so I was wondering if anyone could let me know of
    >> some quick simple meals that I can cook. Something thats good but not
    >> complicated or time consuming. Thanks!
    >>

    > If you want to learn to cook, a good book that covers the basics can
    > teach you how to make many simple good meals. Decent cooking is not
    > rocket science but reliable guidance is important. There are a number
    > of good books; one which I can recommend is "How To Cook Everything" by
    > Mark Bittman. -aem

    I'll second that.
    I just checked out that book out at the library along with his "Best Recipes
    in the World." Then I bought the "Best Recipes in the World" for my own
    library.
    I also checked out but haven't got to look at them yet :
    "The Minimalist Cooks at Home" and "The Minimalist Cooks Dinner."
    I'd never taken notice of him before I saw the books at the library. Then I
    noticed that he has a show on PBS running (in HD). DH has hooked up HD for
    me now so I can see Mark Bittman. A round-about way to get HD! Funny how
    things work out.
    Dee Dee

  8. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Bargain52.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Im trying to save money so I have decided to start cooking instead of
    >>going out to eat all the time. The only problem is that I really don't
    >>know how to cook so I was wondering if anyone could let me know of
    >>some quick simple meals that I can cook. Something thats good but not
    >>complicated or time consuming. Thanks!
    >>

    >>Find the best deals online @ SPAMCRAP.com

    > You have no idea what a complicated question this is. :)

    <psst> I don't think they were really expecting an answer. I sort of got
    the impression it was a troll advertising their website.

  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    Goomba38 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "Bargain52.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Im trying to save money so I have decided to start cooking instead of
    > >>going out to eat all the time. The only problem is that I really don't
    > >>know how to cook so I was wondering if anyone could let me know of
    > >>some quick simple meals that I can cook. Something thats good but not
    > >>complicated or time consuming. Thanks!
    > >>

    > >>Find the best deals online @ SPAMCRAP.com

    > > You have no idea what a complicated question this is. :)

    > <psst> I don't think they were really expecting an answer. I sort of got
    > the impression it was a troll advertising their website.

    I missed the spam...

    Guess I was not looking.

    My bad! Sowwy!
    --
    Om.

  10. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    >><psst> I don't think they were really expecting an answer. I sort of got
    >>the impression it was a troll advertising their website.

    > I missed the spam...
    >
    > Guess I was not looking.
    >
    > My bad! Sowwy!

    no, you may be right.. I'm an old cynic and any time someone says so
    little (stupid question posted without any information to go on) and
    tosses in their website so obviously, I get suspicious. <shrug>

  11. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    52pickup.com wrote:
    > Im trying to save money so I have decided to start cooking instead of
    > going out to eat all the time. The only problem is that I really don't
    > know how to cook so I was wondering if anyone could let me know of
    > some quick simple meals that I can cook. Something thats good but not
    > complicated or time consuming. Thanks!
    >

    > Find the best deals online @ Ramen.com

    Ah so....

    Sheldon San

  12. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "Goomba38" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "Bargain52.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Im trying to save money so I have decided to start cooking instead of
    > >>going out to eat all the time. The only problem is that I really don't
    > >>know how to cook so I was wondering if anyone could let me know of
    > >>some quick simple meals that I can cook. Something thats good but not
    > >>complicated or time consuming. Thanks!
    > >>

    > >>Find the best deals online @ SPAMCRAP.com

    > > You have no idea what a complicated question this is. :)

    > <psst> I don't think they were really expecting an answer. I sort of got
    > the impression it was a troll advertising their website.

    In this instance, so did I. However, unfortunately we may *never know for
    sure* <gravitas infused deep sad sigh... >

    ',;~{~

    Shaun aRe

  13. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote

    > "Goomba38" <[email protected]> wrote

    >> <psst> I don't think they were really expecting an answer. I sort of got
    >> the impression it was a troll advertising their website.

    > In this instance, so did I. However, unfortunately we may *never know for
    > sure* <gravitas infused deep sad sigh... >

    I saw their screen name was a website address or something, and so
    was their sig. Nothing else. Just one of those things that make you go
    Hmmmm, just like the song.

    nancy

  14. Hey Dee Dee,

    Thanks for the books. I went and checked a few books out at the library
    yesterday. Funny but I didn't even think to do that.

  15. Hey Dee Dee,

    Thanks for the books. I went and checked a few books out at the library
    yesterday. Funny but I didn't even think to do that.

  16. I only eat chicken and fish. My biggest thing is putting things
    together. I don't know what makes a good meal if that makes any sense.

  17. I only eat chicken and fish. My biggest thing is putting things
    together. I don't know what makes a good meal if that makes any sense.

  18. George

    George Guest

    Bargain52.com wrote:
    > I only eat chicken and fish. My biggest thing is putting things
    > together. I don't know what makes a good meal if that makes any sense.

    No, do you mean you only eat chicken or fish period or do you mean that
    they are your main protein source? If the latter think what would be
    served with it if you ordered chicken or fish in a restaurant.

  19. George

    George Guest

    Bargain52.com wrote:
    > I only eat chicken and fish. My biggest thing is putting things
    > together. I don't know what makes a good meal if that makes any sense.

    No, do you mean you only eat chicken or fish period or do you mean that
    they are your main protein source? If the latter think what would be
    served with it if you ordered chicken or fish in a restaurant.

  20. George

    George Guest