Quick survey on bicycle travel cases

awgc2424

Dec 1, 2012
Hi I’m a university student working on a project to do with reducing the number of components that have to be removed from bicycles when they are packed in bike travel cases for transport on commercial aircraft. Here's a quick survey that I'd really appreciate if people could fill out.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KZ2HJTB

Thank you.

I'm having trouble seeing the point of this. Rent vs buy is:
a) a moot point as I already have one
b) impossible to answer as it depends on rental cost vs purchase cost vs my storage capacity vs the probability of using it again.
Let's say rental cost is 1/4 of buying cost. Odds are that if I'm serious enough about my riding to go on a dedicated bike trip, I'm probably hoping to do more than one anyhow.
So rental cost has to be a lot smaller than buying cost for it to make any sense.
The big showstopper being that I need some place to store the big box between uses.
If I haven't, my motivation to rent suddenly becomes bigger.

And to be honest, I don't have much of a problem removing either of those parts.
Anyone going on a (unsupported) trip better have more mechanic's skills than to be challenged by that anyhow, or be ready to walk/hike to the next city should anything need sesrvicing while on the road.

Leaving pedals on increase the size of the package significantly, as does wheels. Admittedly, leaving wheels on makes for a bigger but thinner overall package. Might work fine on the aircraft, but will be horrible in cars, taxis, public transportation ASO.

My current case is tailored to be as tight as possible, and require removing fork, crank, wheels and derailer. I can bring it on public transport w/o making an utter fool of myself - as long as it isn't the London Underground.

If you want to come up with something clever, try a collapsible case that wouldn't take up so much storage space when not in use. Or what about a soft case with inflatable padding? The protection of the hard case with the ease of storage of the soft case.

dabac said:
Or what about a soft case with inflatable padding? The protection of the hard case with the ease of storage of the soft case.
At least one company is doing this. I don't remember the name, but I believe they are in the UK.

That's pretty neat, and quite similar to what I was imagining. But I was envisioning something a bit more elaborate though, something with more separate cavities for wheels and frame for instance. Looking like that, I'd still worry about load transfer onto things like the rear triangle for instance.

"Looking like that, I'd still worry about load transfer onto things like the rear triangle for instance."

As would I. When it comes to the airlines and shipping services I only trust the best hardshell cases or my own double-carboard w/foam and anti-crush braces.

The Australian Enviro Box is an interesting solution. Essentially the protection of a soft bag but it can be folded flat - so is more convenient on tour than lugging a complete hard box.

Personally I would always look at reinforcing with horizontal struts though apparantly the format allows airlines to take this on without the standard bike box waiver (so you don't need to sign away your bike and accept any damage - it probably differs from country to country and between airlines).

The other technique is with an old bike box and being creative creating horizontal reinforcing struts - plenty of work involved but I have seen bikes damaged in expensive "semi soft" cases.

Originally Posted by schris .

....apparantly the format allows airlines to take this on without the standard bike box waiver (so you don't need to sign away your bike and accept any damage - it probably differs from country to country and between airlines).

All my experiences with bike shipping tells me it's a rip-off - you lose whatever you do. Last time I flew I'd checked the airline requirements, even phoned the baggage handling office at the airport. Carried with me a printout, where it showed that my case was within limits. Didn't get me anywhere with the check-in staff: "it's a bike" they said, "and bikes are special luggage by default. Please join the queue over there and pay extra" And guess what, special luggage is always shipped at own risk.
It's just too much aggro, from then on I just go for the sturdiest case available, hope for the best and factor in the cost.

Only way I've found to "beat the system"- assuming, the airline allows you to check in two pieces of luggage, is to disassemble a full-sus frame so that it'll fit in a regular suitcase, then send the wheels along in a box of their own. Then you can avoid the surcharge, and whatever travels in the suitcase gets to enjoy the same level of assurances as packed luggage usually does.

"All my experiences with bike shipping tells me it's a rip-off - you lose whatever you do."

That's been my experience. Airline surcharges at best and lost stuff (stolen, more likely) at worst.

So...I keep a bike at the vacation house, with a friend I visit out west and generally use any excuse I can to buy a bike while travelling. Fly it home? No way! I'll strip it down, box it up bombproof and UPS/FedEx it back to the house or biz. The airline baggage monkeys have had their last shot at losing or demolishing anything I own.