Quick Survey on Group Riding

jbros

Jan 28, 2013
Hello everyone,

I am a university student trying to get feedback on an idea of how many people ride in groups and the ability levels of the riders that you ride with. Below is the link for the survey. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/G8NSGYR

i think i get your idea but i don't think its feasible, inside the gym in a spinning class yes, you train as a group and every single member can adjust the spinning bike freewheel to vary the intensity, it is not the same on a real road bike peloton out on the roads,

I looked at the survey.

It is not hard to ride in a group of people who have different abilities and still get a good workout.

I used to do 50 miles hard before the weekend group rides. Made the group ride a bit harder for me. Weaker riders sat in and/or took short cuts home. Stronger riders spent more time at the front or out in the wind.

Sitting upright rather than in the drops changes things.

---

I can see your idea. The resistance unit from a trainer mounted behind the seat.

I think it is a nice idea. But not something most would be interested in.

The key is good bike handling and being able to hold a wheel well, something most elite and experienced riders can do well. Drifting out into the wind for even seconds here and there at speeds beyond what we are familiar with can drain the tank quickly though.

I find the idea of intentionally adding a resistance unit odd. I can imagine the following scenario, " Sure honey, I will go out and ride with you - but first let me set up the drag device so that I can get a decent workout because you are too slow."

The few times I ride with a slower group, I adjust my expectations and enjoy the ride. I think anyone that is focused on training is not going to be participating in many B rides with the expectation of getting an intense workout.

The more viable device is one that would allow a slower rider keep pace with a faster group. The fear of getting dropped or being outclassed keeps many people from participating in group rides. Assist devices are readily available for commuter and mountain bikes - but I have not seen a sleek road setup commercially available.