Quickest way to cook C. Breast?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ferrante, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Ferrante

    Ferrante Guest

    Usually when I cook a chicken breast, I bake it in the over for an hour at 350 degrees. However,
    tonight I want to cook one breast and cut it in slices to add to alfredo sauce to put over
    spaghetti. I've never cooked a chicken breast any other way.

    What is the easiest and simplest way to cook it without waiting an hour? Since I want to slice it in
    strips for the sauce, should I slice it first and then cook it? Easier to cut afterwards? If I cook
    it in a small skillet, how do you know when it is done on the inside?

    Thanks in advance for your help. Mark Ferrante Bachelor Cook
     
    Tags:


  2. Mraod

    Mraod Guest

    FERRANTE writes:

    >Usually when I cook a chicken breast, I bake it in the over for an hour at 350 degrees.

    Oy gevalt, that's one dry chicken breast.

    >However, tonight I want to cook one breast and cut it in slices to add to alfredo sauce to put over
    >spaghetti. I've never cooked a chicken breast any other way.

    Assuming you're planning on cooking it a bit in the sauce you've got any number of choices on how to
    cook. I'm also assuming you're using a boneless skinless breast.

    First question is do you want a slightly crispy surface or not?

    If yes, broil for about 8 minutes, or fry on the stovetop (about a tsp of oil in a small 6-8" pan)
    for about 6 minutes/side over medium heat.

    If no, boil for 6 minutes, or simmer for 15. Or put in the microwave on high for approximately
    5 minutes.

    Then cut into cubes or slices.

    If you're feeling adventureous and want to slice (or cube) the breast before cooking, cut to 1/2"
    cubes or 1/4" slices and sautee about 5 minutes over medium heat in a small drizzle of oil.

    Whichever way you cook it, add to the sauce and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.

    Best,

    Marc
     
  3. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    FERRANTE wrote:

    > Usually when I cook a chicken breast, I bake it in the over for an hour at 350 degrees. However,
    > tonight I want to cook one breast and cut it in slices to add to alfredo sauce to put over
    > spaghetti. I've never cooked a chicken breast any other way.
    >
    > What is the easiest and simplest way to cook it without waiting an hour? Since I want to slice it
    > in strips for the sauce, should I slice it first and then cook it? Easier to cut afterwards? If I
    > cook it in a small skillet, how do you know when it is done on the inside?
    >

    A grill pan is a great way to do chicken breasts. Season the breast and plop it on the grill at
    medium to medium high heat. It should be done in about 12-14 minutes at the most, depending on
    thickness.
     
  4. "FERRANTE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Usually when I cook a chicken breast, I bake it in the over for an hour at 350 degrees. However,
    > tonight I want to cook one breast and cut it in slices to add to alfredo sauce to put over
    > spaghetti. I've never cooked a chicken breast any other way.

    Oh my God! You people are going to kill me! Have you savages no sensitivity at all? AAARG!

    Charlie
     
  5. Kswck

    Kswck Guest

    "FERRANTE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Usually when I cook a chicken breast, I bake it in the over for an hour at 350 degrees. However,
    > tonight I want to cook one breast and cut it in slices to add to alfredo sauce to put over
    > spaghetti. I've never cooked a chicken breast any other way.
    >
    > What is the easiest and simplest way to cook it without waiting an hour? Since I want to slice it
    > in strips for the sauce, should I slice it first and then cook it? Easier to cut afterwards? If I
    > cook it in a small skillet, how do you know when it is done on the inside?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help. Mark Ferrante Bachelor Cook

    I'll assume you don't coat the breast with any heavy spices (I've not made the dish in a very long
    time). You can broil the breast for a few minutes-since you are going to slice it up anyway, slice
    it in half when you think it might be done. You can also slice it up and pan fry it in PAM or some
    other spray and/or add a bit of lemon juice to keep it from sticking. The juices should run clear
    when done. After trying it a couple of times, you should just 'know' when it's done.
     
  6. Dennis G .

    Dennis G . Guest

    [email protected] (MrAoD) wrote:

    >Assuming you're planning on cooking it a bit in the sauce you've got any number of choices on how
    >to cook. I'm also assuming you're using a boneless skinless breast.
    >
    >First question is do you want a slightly crispy surface or not?
    >
    >If yes, broil for about 8 minutes, or fry on the stovetop (about a tsp of oil in a small 6-8" pan)
    >for about 6 minutes/side over medium heat.
    >
    >If no, boil for 6 minutes, or simmer for 15. Or put in the microwave on high for approximately
    >5 minutes.
    >
    >Then cut into cubes or slices.
    >
    >If you're feeling adventureous and want to slice (or cube) the breast before cooking, cut to 1/2"
    >cubes or 1/4" slices and sautee about 5 minutes over medium heat in a small drizzle of oil.
    >
    >Whichever way you cook it, add to the sauce and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
    >
    >Best,
    >
    >Marc

    Your recommended cooking times do not sound safe to me although the critical factor is the
    temperature of the coolest part of the meat. Perhaps making thin slices before broiling, frying or
    microwaving would make the temperature rise to the 180 or so required.

    This page gives good info on cooking chicken safely:
    http://www.perdue.com/athome/product_safety/kitchen.asp

    Dennis
     
  7. Ferrante

    Ferrante Guest

    On 10 Feb 2004 16:31:53 GMT, [email protected] (MrAoD) wrote:

    >FERRANTE writes:
    >
    >>Usually when I cook a chicken breast, I bake it in the over for an hour at 350 degrees.
    >
    >Oy gevalt, that's one dry chicken breast.

    Actually the chicken breast is marinated, then I roll it in Italian bread crumbs, and put a little
    paprika/garlic on it, then seal in foil and bake. Really turns out great, but because I plan on
    adding it to the alfredo sauce, I wouldn't dress it up any.

    >
    >>However, tonight I want to cook one breast and cut it in slices to add to alfredo sauce to put
    >>over spaghetti. I've never cooked a chicken breast any other way.
    >
    >Assuming you're planning on cooking it a bit in the sauce you've got any number of choices on how
    >to cook. I'm also assuming you're using a boneless skinless breast.

    Is there any other type?? ;)

    >
    >First question is do you want a slightly crispy surface or not?

    No.
    >
    >If yes, broil for about 8 minutes, or fry on the stovetop (about a tsp of oil in a small 6-8" pan)
    >for about 6 minutes/side over medium heat.
    >
    >If no, boil for 6 minutes, or simmer for 15. Or put in the microwave on high for approximately
    >5 minutes.
    >
    >Then cut into cubes or slices.
    >
    >If you're feeling adventureous and want to slice (or cube) the breast before cooking, cut to 1/2"
    >cubes or 1/4" slices and sautee about 5 minutes over medium heat in a small drizzle of oil.
    >
    >Whichever way you cook it, add to the sauce and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
    >
    >Best,
    >
    >Marc

    Thanks.

    Mark
     
  8. Daisy

    Daisy Guest

    Cant give it to you for an hour hon, but this is a very very good poached chicken recipe I have
    used over and over again - for slicing on pasta, or on a salad - or any recipe that calls for
    cooked chicken.

    Take as many chicken breasts as you need. Leave the skin on! Fold the breast(s) into a pot that will
    hold them snugly. To one breast (and add for more) grate the rind of 1 lemon and add its juice. Salt
    and pepper, one bay leaf and some fresh tarragon if you have it on hand. Add enough water to just
    cover the chicken. Put a lid on the pot and bring to the boil. Skim off the sludgy stuff. Replace
    the lid and take off the heat and leave for one and a half hours. The chicken will be cooked
    (believe me, it will!) Leave until it is cool and slice or do whatever you want with it.

    If you want Asian flavours with this recipe instead of French, replace the lemon and bayleaf and
    other herbs with soy sauce and sliced fresh ginger and a clove of garlic.

    Enjoy!

    Daisy.

    Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
     
  9. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Charles Gifford" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "FERRANTE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > Usually when I cook a chicken breast, I bake it in the over for an hour at 350 degrees. However,
    > > tonight I want to cook one breast and cut it in slices to add to alfredo sauce to put over
    > > spaghetti. I've never cooked a chicken breast any other way.
    >
    > Oh my God! You people are going to kill me! Have you savages no sensitivity at all? AAARG!
    >
    > Charlie
    >
    >

    So, substitute marinara for Alfredo, and lightly steamed shredded zuchinni for the pasta. ;-)

    Or Spagetti Squash......

    Alfredo _can_ be made starch free if you know how!

    Just my humble offering!

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<
    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=katra
     
  10. Loki

    Loki Guest

    il Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:19:13 GMT, "Charles Gifford" ha scritto:

    >
    > "FERRANTE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > Usually when I cook a chicken breast, I bake it in the over for an hour at 350 degrees. However,
    > > tonight I want to cook one breast and cut it in slices to add to alfredo sauce to put over
    > > spaghetti. I've never cooked a chicken breast any other way.
    >
    > Oh my God! You people are going to kill me! Have you savages no sensitivity at all? AAARG!
    >
    > Charlie

    I had a landlady who thought trout was a dry fish - she baked it for an hour. And her meat ... I had
    never had roast with such individuated fibres before. Maybe as a farmer's wife she wanted to be sure
    the animal was dead.

    --
    Cheers, Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]
     
  11. Paula

    Paula Guest

    if you are going to slice/cut the breast up anyway then why not cut it up when raw ,and then stir
    fry it in a little olive oil. it will only take a few minutes this way and will still be moist.
     
  12. Ferrante

    Ferrante Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 03:49:03 -0600, Katra
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, "Charles Gifford"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "FERRANTE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:p[email protected]...
    >> > Usually when I cook a chicken breast, I bake it in the over for an hour at 350 degrees.
    >> > However, tonight I want to cook one breast and cut it in slices to add to alfredo sauce to put
    >> > over spaghetti. I've never cooked a chicken breast any other way.
    >>
    >> Oh my God! You people are going to kill me! Have you savages no sensitivity at all? AAARG!
    >>
    >> Charlie
    >>
    >>
    >
    >So, substitute marinara for Alfredo, and lightly steamed shredded zuchinni for the pasta. ;-)
    >
    >Or Spagetti Squash......

    YUCK! I don't eat anything unless I know it going to help kill me...

    Bad-for-you-food is too tasty!

    ;) Mark Ferrante

    >
    >Alfredo _can_ be made starch free if you know how!
    >
    >Just my humble offering!
    >
    >K.
     
  13. "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Charles Gifford"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > Oh my God! You people are going to kill me! Have you savages no
    sensitivity
    > > at all? AAARG!
    > >
    > > Charlie
    >
    > So, substitute marinara for Alfredo, and lightly steamed shredded zuchinni for the pasta. ;-)
    >
    > Or Spagetti Squash......
    >
    > Alfredo _can_ be made starch free if you know how!
    >
    > Just my humble offering!
    >
    > K.

    Hee, hee! With obligatory AAAK! AAAK!

    Charlie
     
  14. Bob

    Bob Guest

    MrAoD wrote:
    > Dennis G. writes:
    >
    >
    >>(MrAoD) wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Assuming you're planning on cooking it a bit in the sauce you've got any number of choices on how
    >>>to cook. I'm also assuming you're using a boneless skinless breast.
    >>>
    >>>First question is do you want a slightly crispy surface or not?
    >>>>If yes, broil for about 8 minutes, or fry on the stovetop (about a tsp of
    >>>oil in a small 6-8" pan) for about 6 minutes/side over medium heat.
    >>>
    >>>If no, boil for 6 minutes, or simmer for 15. Or put in the microwave on high for approximately 5
    >>>minutes.
    >>>
    >>>Then cut into cubes or slices.
    >>>
    >>>If you're feeling adventureous and want to slice (or cube) the breast before cooking, cut to 1/2"
    >>>cubes or 1/4" slices and sautee about 5 minutes over medium heat in a small drizzle of oil.
    >>>
    >>>Whichever way you cook it, add to the sauce and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
    >>>
    >>>Best,
    >>>
    >>>Marc
    >>
    >>Your recommended cooking times do not sound safe to me although the critical factor is the
    >>temperature of the coolest part of the meat.

    Not only are they safe, they'll result in a way overcooked piece of chicken.

    > It's a chicken breast ferchrissakes. B'ile the pee outta it, burn the crud outta it and you've got
    > a not-very-tasty-to-begin-with clod of meat that's overcooked.
    >
    >
    >>Perhaps making thin slices before broiling, frying or microwaving would make the temperature rise
    >>to the 180 or so required.

    180 absolutely isn't required. All the important baddies are either dead at 140 or so reduced as to
    constitute no hazard. Most people wouldn't like the texture of the meat at that temp, though. Cook
    it to 160 and it's done.

    > News to you: If you thin slice the breast (and I'm being generous with the thin part here, say
    > 1/4") and you broil, bake, fry, microwave or even look at it sidewise, it's going to be overdone
    > with *any* of the times I gave. And oh yeah, that 180 (which I'd ramp down to 160 max) temp is
    > internal for a full cut of chicken, bone-in and measured at the thickest part of the meat.

    Used to be. 160 in the thigh away from bone. Let rest for 10 minutes and carve away. Moist, tender,
    tasty, safe chicken. Succulent.

    Yes, I said succulent.

    > If you've got a 1/4" slice I double-dog-dare you to find a thermometer that won't come out
    > t'other side.
    >
    >>This page gives good info on cooking chicken safely:
    >>http://www.perdue.com/athome/product_safety/kitchen.asp

    That advice comes from a lawyer, not a cook. Forget it.

    > Oh frikkin blow me. You cite a corporate we-warned-you-so-you-can't-sue-us info page as gospel.
    >
    > I * in your general direction.
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Marc
    >
    > (who's had a really bad day and is anticipating an even worse year.)

    Well buck up. Chicken is about to get cheaper. China has stopped all imports of American chicken
    since a second flock in Maryland has tested positive for avian flu. They've been importing 2000 tons
    a day from us.

    Pastorio
     
  15. stan

    stan Guest

    FERRANTE <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Usually when I cook a chicken breast, I bake it in the over for an hour at 350 degrees. However,
    > tonight I want to cook one breast and cut it in slices to add to alfredo sauce to put over
    > spaghetti. I've never cooked a chicken breast any other way.

    > What is the easiest and simplest way to cook it without waiting an hour? Since I want to slice it
    > in strips for the sauce, should I slice it first and then cook it? Easier to cut afterwards? If I
    > cook it in a small skillet, how do you know when it is done on the inside?

    Just heat up a frying pan, add a bit of olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan, then cook the
    chicken breast in it for a few minutes per side and make sure you pound the breast flat in between
    two sheets of plastic wrap before you cook it.
     
  16. Dan Levy

    Dan Levy Guest

    FERRANTE <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What is the easiest and simplest way to cook [chicken breast] without
    waiting a
    > hour? Since I want to slice it in strips for the sauce, should I slice it first and then cook
    > it? Easier to cut afterwards? If I cook it in a small skillet, how do you know when it is done
    > on the inside?

    Kitchen shears or strong scissors work well to slice uncooked boneless chicken breast into short
    strips, if you don't have a suitably sharp knife. Cut lengthwise into 2 or 3 pieces then snip pieces
    crosswise off of those pieces. The result can be stir-fried in a couple tablespoons oil at medium
    high heat (not quite smoking) in about 5 minutes.
     
Loading...