quiet morning riding in

Claire

Guest
When the 24th falls on a Monday, there' s not a lot of traffic,
particularly before the sun comes up. It was mostly clear, and mostly
cold, but not too cold - upper 30s, with new snow in the mountains
from the weekend of rain here in the lowlands.

I wasn't passed by a car for the first five miles of the ride in to
work. I only saw two bikes coming the other way, and that wasn't until
I had been riding for an hour. Usually, even if it is sleeting
horizontally, I'll see about a dozen.

Warm Regards,

Claire
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org

In article <419be3d2-afa3-44aa-95c1-89f3b42ce278@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Claire <[email protected]> writes:
> When the 24th falls on a Monday, there' s not a lot of traffic,
> particularly before the sun comes up. It was mostly clear, and mostly
> cold, but not too cold - upper 30s, with new snow in the mountains
> from the weekend of rain here in the lowlands.

I love it when the air is so clear that the mountains look
closer and bigger. Those conditions make for good
amateur astronomy nights, especially around new moon.

> I wasn't passed by a car for the first five miles of the ride in to
> work. I only saw two bikes coming the other way, and that wasn't until
> I had been riding for an hour. Usually, even if it is sleeting
> horizontally, I'll see about a dozen.

Ahhhh. Serene peace. Enough to hear one's self think, or
better yet, to shut the internal/mental dialogue right off
and just ... be. Those are such good times for riding --
when all the loud people relinquish their holds on the day.

I'm looking forward to early morning New Year's Day, when
the rest of the world will be sleeping it off. I just
hope the streets will be clear of snow then.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

On Dec 24, 8:17 pm, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article <419be3d2-afa3-44aa-95c1-89f3b42ce...@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> Claire <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > When the 24th falls on a Monday, there' s not a lot of traffic,
> > particularly before the sun comes up. It was mostly clear, and mostly
> > cold, but not too cold - upper 30s, with new snow in the mountains
> > from the weekend of rain here in the lowlands.

> I love it when the air is so clear that the mountains look
> closer and bigger. Those conditions make for good
> amateur astronomy nights, especially around new moon.
>
> > I wasn't passed by a car for the first five miles of the ride in to
> > work. I only saw two bikes coming the other way, and that wasn't until
> > I had been riding for an hour. Usually, even if it is sleeting
> > horizontally, I'll see about a dozen.

> Ahhhh. Serene peace. Enough to hear one's self think, or
> better yet, to shut the internal/mental dialogue right off
> and just ... be. Those are such good times for riding --
> when all the loud people relinquish their holds on the day.
>
> I'm looking forward to early morning New Year's Day, when
> the rest of the world will be sleeping it off. I just
> hope the streets will be clear of snow then.
>
> cheers,
> Tom
>
> --
> Nothing is safe from me.
> I'm really at:
> tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

i also went out with little traffic. i have a 10 mile hill that i
climb and in the middle of it, i found another rider, peacefully
passed him and then he caught up to me. then the peace ended because
for the next 5 miles we got on to race that got us so exhausted to the
top that the other guy almost died! but it was so much fun
carlos
http://www.bikingthings.com

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 09:23:08 -0800 (PST), Claire <[email protected]>
wrote:

>When the 24th falls on a Monday, there' s not a lot of traffic,
>particularly before the sun comes up. It was mostly clear, and mostly
>cold, but not too cold - upper 30s, with new snow in the mountains
>from the weekend of rain here in the lowlands.
>
>I wasn't passed by a car for the first five miles of the ride in to
>work. I only saw two bikes coming the other way, and that wasn't until
>I had been riding for an hour. Usually, even if it is sleeting
>horizontally, I'll see about a dozen.
>
>Warm Regards,
>
>Claire
>http://www.bicyclemeditations.org

Went for a long comfortable ride on Christmas Day. Not a lot of folks
out there but did see some. And quite a few young kids taking their
first rides on their new bikes that Santa brought. Was an enjoyable
day!!!!!

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/1957trike/Christmas Day/2007ChristmasDay-12262007-08.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/1957trike/Christmas Day/2007ChristmasDay-12262007-07.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/1957trike/Christmas Day/2007ChristmasDay-12262007-06.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh160/1957trike/Christmas Day/2007ChristmasDay-12262007-03.jpg

And that's NOT water runoff behind me in those last two photos.
That's a sheet of ice. And a LOAD of fun on the trike!!!!!!

..

> I'm looking forward to early morning New Year's Day, when

tom

be extra careful at that time--vcery real possibility of lots of drunk
drivers--or impared--no sleep etc

take care
peter

In article <FQMcj.8706$pi7.8680@trndny02>,
"ilaboo" <[email protected]> writes:
> .
>>
>> I'm looking forward to early morning New Year's Day, when

> tom
>
> be extra careful at that time--vcery real possibility of lots of drunk
> drivers--or impared--no sleep etc
>
> take care
> peter

Don't worry, I'll be on the lookout for whatever few
of them might be about. But the traffic is so sparse
on New Year's Day morning, they're pretty easy to
spot -- not just by bike riders, but also by the cops,
who'll also be on the lookout for them.

If it's a nice enough day, maybe I'll head up to
New Brighton Park (Vancouver, BC.) Maybe even do
some eastward Trans-Canada Trail from there.

That's actually a nice scenic ride through semi-secluded
wooded areas. There's a bridge from which riders can
spot onto freight trains passing underneath if they're
so inclined, Penzance Drive (the easy way around Capitol
Hill,) and another wooded, semi-secluded place with
signs up about watching out for bears and cougars, although
I've mostly encountered only pairs of new moms pushing
jogging strollers. Maybe there should be signs for the
bears and cougars to watch out for the stroller-pushing moms.

It comes out onto some streets which, with some finagling,
lead to the Barnett Hwy and onward to Port Moody -- a
Sleepy Hollow li'l burgh in the crook of where Burrard
Inlet extends like a sore thumb into Indian Arm. When
you see a rainbow from Vancouver (Proper,) Port Moody
is where the north foot of the rainbow actually is.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes:

> i also went out with little traffic. i have a 10 mile hill that i
> climb and in the middle of it, i found another rider, peacefully
> passed him and then he caught up to me. then the peace ended because
> for the next 5 miles we got on to race that got us so exhausted to the
> top that the other guy almost died! but it was so much fun

I've found the trick with impromtu hill climb races is
to (try to) make it it look like it's effortless for you,
to the other guy.

Even if it isn't. It's kinda like diplomacy, or
swallowing vomit, with some poker-face thrown in.
Psychological warfare.

It also helps to be a lot lighter than the other guy.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 02:57:31 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] writes:
>>
>> i also went out with little traffic. i have a 10 mile hill that i
>> climb and in the middle of it, i found another rider, peacefully
>> passed him and then he caught up to me. then the peace ended because
>> for the next 5 miles we got on to race that got us so exhausted to the
>> top that the other guy almost died! but it was so much fun

>I've found the trick with impromtu hill climb races is
>to (try to) make it it look like it's effortless for you,
>to the other guy.
>
>Even if it isn't. It's kinda like diplomacy, or
>swallowing vomit, with some poker-face thrown in.
>Psychological warfare.
>
>It also helps to be a lot lighter than the other guy.
>

>cheers,
> Tom

hehehe....that's true!!!! Recently I was riding home....pulling my
BoB behind me with a load of groceries. I was considering hopping off
and walking up most of the hill. Then I noticed, on the sidewalk, a
friend of mine that was walking his bike. No trailer. So I
though...."I can't look THAT bad"....so I dropped into a lower gear
and pushed past....smiled and waved at him.....even though it was a
hard climb.....and kept on going. Stopped at the top to take a
breather when he came rolling up actuallt RIDING his. He told me that
if I could do it pulling a trailer he just couldn't stand to be made
to look THAT bad and HAD to ride. I just kind of laughed and we sat
and chatted a bit. Was quite funny though.....

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Tom Keats) writes:

> That's actually a nice scenic ride through semi-secluded
> wooded areas. There's a bridge from which riders can
> spot onto freight trains passing underneath

^^^^
I should have written: "spit".

cheers,
Tom

--

"Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)" <[email protected]> writes:
> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 02:57:31 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
> wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] writes:
>>>
>>> i also went out with little traffic. i have a 10 mile hill that i
>>> climb and in the middle of it, i found another rider, peacefully
>>> passed him and then he caught up to me. then the peace ended because
>>> for the next 5 miles we got on to race that got us so exhausted to the
>>> top that the other guy almost died! but it was so much fun

>>I've found the trick with impromtu hill climb races is
>>to (try to) make it it look like it's effortless for you,
>>to the other guy.
>>
>>Even if it isn't. It's kinda like diplomacy, or
>>swallowing vomit, with some poker-face thrown in.
>>Psychological warfare.
>>
>>It also helps to be a lot lighter than the other guy.
>>

>>cheers,
>> Tom

> hehehe....that's true!!!! Recently I was riding home....pulling my
> BoB behind me with a load of groceries. I was considering hopping off
> and walking up most of the hill. Then I noticed, on the sidewalk, a
> friend of mine that was walking his bike. No trailer. So I
> though...."I can't look THAT bad"....so I dropped into a lower gear
> and pushed past....smiled and waved at him.....even though it was a
> hard climb.....and kept on going. Stopped at the top to take a
> breather when he came rolling up actuallt RIDING his. He told me that

The hard part is to not pant/gasp/wheeze when
anybody's watching.

> if I could do it pulling a trailer he just couldn't stand to be made
> to look THAT bad and HAD to ride. I just kind of laughed and we sat
> and chatted a bit. Was quite funny though.....

Vancouver's built on a central, east-west ridge. I
live on the top of the ridge. Last summer I was
working through a temp agency whose office is
located at the southern foot of the ridge. One
morning I had ridden to the agency office to
pick up my paycheque and was heading back home,
up the hill.

Halfway up the slope, some kid on a motorized
skateboard started following me. It was one
of those model-airplane-engined thingies that
made a tightly strained, nasal "nheeeeeeeeeeee"
noise, kinda like Felix Unger when his sinusitus
flares up.

I simply /had/ to stay ahead of this guy.
Had I been fresh, I'd have right handily
toasted him. But I just did an afteroon
shift stint the night before, and was looking
forward to another one that day, so I had
to conserve my energy stores.

I managed to keep ahead of him, but everytime
I looked in my handlebar mirror, there he was
in his saggin' clothes, hands casually in his
pants pockets, stoopid li'l engine making that
irritating "nheeeeeeeeeee" sound.

He almost caught up to me at the crest of the
ridge @ 41st & Ontario St. But the traffic
light finally went in my favour and I bombed
down the other side of the ridge, laughing
all the way to the bank with my paycheque.
He had the temerity to try to follow. Like
the song "Switchez" by Eazy-E says:
"Mothaf*cka shoulda stayed his ass home."

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <FQMcj.8706$pi7.8680@trndny02>,

> It comes out onto some streets which, with some finagling,
> lead to the Barnett Hwy and onward to Port Moody -- a
> Sleepy Hollow li'l burgh in the crook of where Burrard
> Inlet extends like a sore thumb into Indian Arm. When
> you see a rainbow from Vancouver (Proper,) Port Moody
> is where the north foot of the rainbow actually is.

Maybe I've done some of this on RSVP?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <FQMcj.8706$pi7.8680@trndny02>,

> > It comes out onto some streets which, with some finagling,
> > lead to the Barnett Hwy and onward to Port Moody -- a
> > Sleepy Hollow li'l burgh in the crook of where Burrard
> > Inlet extends like a sore thumb into Indian Arm. When
> > you see a rainbow from Vancouver (Proper,) Port Moody
> > is where the north foot of the rainbow actually is.

> Maybe I've done some of this on RSVP?

Yes, I think so. If nothing else, you definitely rode the Barnet and
through Port Moody.

As we have previously discussed, you have spent several years now riding
within about two blocks of my house, and I have not quite managed to get
myself out of bed (or in one case, out of Greece) to say hi.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

In article <[email protected]>,
"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> In article <FQMcj.8706$pi7.8680@trndny02>,

>> It comes out onto some streets which, with some finagling,
>> lead to the Barnett Hwy and onward to Port Moody -- a
>> Sleepy Hollow li'l burgh in the crook of where Burrard
>> Inlet extends like a sore thumb into Indian Arm. When
>> you see a rainbow from Vancouver (Proper,) Port Moody
>> is where the north foot of the rainbow actually is.

> Maybe I've done some of this on RSVP?

Maybe the street part; I doubt if the off-road
Trans-Canada Trail is part of the RSVP route,
as it's largely single track. But it would make
an interesting detour. In this defoliated time
of year, one can catch impressive but fleeting
vistas of Burrard Inlet and the North Shore mountains
from the trail. There's one or two eastbound steepnesses
that may require dismounting. I figure that's where any
bears or cougars will getcha.

The Greater Vancouver area is rife with little-used
multi-user trails which make for quite pleasant
little escapes from the hustle & bustle of
city (or suburban) traffic. They're little-used
because so few people know where they are, much less
where they go. The casual riders here gravitate toward
a couple of more widely known, tourist-trappy paths,
while remaining ignorant of the wealth of other
car-free riding environments -- including that stretch
of the Trans-Canada trail I described in my previous post.

I think these "unknown" paths a mixed blessing -- they're
wonderfully peaceful to ride on and can even be useful
(like the one in Burnaby that leads from Carelton to
Sanderson Way and onward to BCIT [heading east from Vancouver
into Burnaby, cross Boundary Road @ 29th on the Vancouver
side, into Spruce on the Burnaby side, and just keep going.)
But if not enough people use them I fear municipalities may
be loathe to build more, or to maintain the existing ones.
Especially if the municipalities are pressured by real estate
developers to allocate such spaces for more immediately
lucrative purposes.

I also like this thing that goes from the 7-Eleven Trail,
parallel to Southpoint, through Byrne Creek Park, leading
to Marine Dr/Marine Way, and connecting to Byrne Rd (an
industrial area where jobs may be had) and onward to the
Fraser River Foreshore Park.

I could write a book about the less known & more obscure
cycling routes of Greater Vancouver. Maybe I should.
Or at least, collaberate with others.