Quiet news day....

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

A sign that we are in the middle of the Christmas break period (apologies to those having to
work ;-) )....

The local press ( Express & Star) had *2* cycling related stories in it tonight.

The first was regarding the fact that almost 100 million trips were made on the national cycle
network this year following an increase in the number of traffic free routes... Now call me cynical,
but 100 million!!!!...It would certainly explain why I virtually never see another cyclist on the
roads...they're all on the NCN, getting the trip count up. Apparently there are now 6,750 miles of
the network open. I reckon that someone with a calculator could work out that over 365 days, 100
million trips along 6750 miles of routes would probably result in traffic greater than M6/M5
junction at the height of the rush hour, i.e. approx 8 wide. I know they talk about 100 million
trips rather than miles, but lets, for sake of argument, average each trip out to say just a
mile......

The second article was about 'Cyclists demanding safety campaign', CTC campaign for greater
punishment, in line with damage done, with suitable quotes from Roger Geffen, CTC spokesman
(interesting pun!!). This is very admirable Roger, but if the original story about the amount of
trips now being taken on the NCN was accurate, there shouldn't be any cyclists left on the roads to
worry about....

May you all have a trouble free and safe New Year,

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 17:26:39 -0000, in uk.rec.cycling Dave put fingers to keyboard and tapped away
writing...

Message ID:- <[email protected]>

> A sign that we are in the middle of the Christmas break period (apologies to those having to work
> ;-) )....
>
> The local press ( Express & Star) had *2* cycling related stories in it tonight.
>
> The first was regarding the fact that almost 100 million trips were made on the national cycle
> network this year following an increase in the number of traffic free routes... Now call me
> cynical, but 100 million!!!!...It would certainly explain why I virtually never see another
> cyclist on the roads...they're all on the NCN, getting the trip count up. Apparently there are now
> 6,750 miles of the network open. I reckon that someone with a calculator could work out that over
> 365 days, 100 million trips along 6750 miles of routes would probably result in traffic greater
> than M6/M5 junction at the height of the rush hour, i.e. approx 8 wide. I know they talk about 100
> million trips rather than miles, but lets, for sake of argument, average each trip out to say just
> a mile......

Most of the National Cycle Network is on roads.

100,000,000 / 6750 = 14,815 trips starting for every mile of the National Cycle Network per year.

14,815 / 365 = 41 trips starting for every mile of the National Cycle Network per day.

If you assume the average length of each journey on the National Cycle Network is 1 mile, you would
expect about 40 cyclists to pass along every mile of the National Cycle Network per day.

If you assume the average length of each journey along the national cycle network is 5 miles, you
would expect 200 cyclists to pass along every mile of the National Cycle Network per day.

10,000,000 trips per year is 274,000 trips per day, that's 137,000 cyclists on a return trip along
part of the National Cycle Network per day.

None of this seems unreasonable.

>
> The second article was about 'Cyclists demanding safety campaign', CTC campaign for greater
> punishment, in line with damage done, with suitable quotes from Roger Geffen, CTC spokesman
> (interesting pun!!). This is very admirable Roger, but if the original story about the amount of
> trips now being taken on the NCN was accurate, there shouldn't be any cyclists left on the roads
> to worry about....
>
> May you all have a trouble free and safe New Year,
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave
>

--

Best wishes, Ace

==============================

Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide, Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit To his
full height. On, on, you noblest English.

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 18:46:53 +0000, Ace Agincourt <agincourt1.don'[email protected]> wrote:

>Most of the National Cycle Network is on roads.

Presumably they count the 300 yards of NCN 5 I ride every day in my 15 mile round trip commute :)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 18:46:53 +0000, Ace Agincourt <agincourt1.don'[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Most of the National Cycle Network is on roads.
>
> Presumably they count the 300 yards of NCN 5 I ride every day in my 15 mile round trip commute :)

I do 8 miles on NCN 1 nearly every day and 4 miles on NCN 65. In fact, NCN 65 is the road outside
my house, so we all have to use it.
--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

"Ace Agincourt" <agincourt1.don'[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi Dave,
>
> On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 17:26:39 -0000, in uk.rec.cycling Dave put fingers to keyboard and tapped away
> writing...
>
> Message ID:- <[email protected]>
>
>
> > A sign that we are in the middle of the Christmas break period
(apologies to
> > those having to work ;-) )....
> >
> > The local press ( Express & Star) had *2* cycling related stories in it tonight.
> >
> > The first was regarding the fact that almost 100 million trips were made
on
> > the national cycle network this year following an increase in the number
of
> > traffic free routes... Now call me cynical, but 100 million!!!!...It would certainly explain
why I
> > virtually never see another cyclist on the roads...they're all on the
NCN,
> > getting the trip count up. Apparently there are now 6,750 miles of the network open. I reckon
> > that someone with a calculator could work out
that
> > over 365 days, 100 million trips along 6750 miles of routes would
probably
> > result in traffic greater than M6/M5 junction at the height of the rush hour, i.e. approx 8
> > wide. I know they talk about 100 million trips rather than miles, but lets,
for
> > sake of argument, average each trip out to say just a mile......
>
>
> Most of the National Cycle Network is on roads.
>
> 100,000,000 / 6750 = 14,815 trips starting for every mile of the National Cycle Network per year.
>
> 14,815 / 365 = 41 trips starting for every mile of the National Cycle Network per day.
>
> If you assume the average length of each journey on the National Cycle Network is 1 mile, you
> would expect about 40 cyclists to pass along every mile of the National Cycle Network per day.
>
> If you assume the average length of each journey along the national cycle network is 5 miles, you
> would expect 200 cyclists to pass along every mile of the National Cycle Network per day.
>
> 10,000,000 trips per year is 274,000 trips per day, that's 137,000 cyclists on a return trip along
> part of the National Cycle Network per day.
>
> None of this seems unreasonable.
>
Does 'round these 'ere parts, Ace..but thanks for working it out ;-) Dave.

In article <[email protected]>, Dave wrote:
> Now call me cynical, but 100 million!!!!...It would certainly explain why I virtually never see
> another cyclist on the roads...they're all on the NCN, getting the trip count up.
>

Probably includes my 2 trips per day commute that includes a section of NCN Route 66 [1].

> Apparently there are now 6,750 miles of the network open. I reckon that someone with a calculator
> could work out that over 365 days, 100 million trips along 6750 miles of routes would probably
> result in traffic greater than M6/M5 junction at the height of the rush hour, i.e. approx 8 wide.
> I know they talk about 100 million trips rather than miles, but lets, for sake of argument,
> average each trip out to say just a mile.
>

That works out to be 41 users per mile on the assumption that the average trip uses a mile of the
NCN. Given that the section I use has that many passing over it in 15 minutes in the morning and
evening peak periods, that quite plausible.

[1] Section concerned is entirely on road most of which is classified as 'A' road.

Gary

--

The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.

For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

"Gary Knighton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Dave
wrote:
> > Now call me cynical, but 100 million!!!!...It would certainly explain
why I
> > virtually never see another cyclist on the roads...they're all on the
NCN,
> > getting the trip count up.
> >
>
> Probably includes my 2 trips per day commute that includes a section of
NCN
> Route 66 [1].
>
> > Apparently there are now 6,750 miles of the network open. I reckon that someone with a
> > calculator could work out
that
> > over 365 days, 100 million trips along 6750 miles of routes would
probably
> > result in traffic greater than M6/M5 junction at the height of the rush hour, i.e. approx 8
> > wide. I know they talk about 100 million trips rather than miles, but lets,
for
> > sake of argument, average each trip out to say just a mile.
> >
>
> That works out to be 41 users per mile on the assumption that the average trip uses a mile of the
> NCN. Given that the section I use has that many passing over it in 15 minutes in the morning and
> evening peak periods,
that
> quite plausible.
>
> [1] Section concerned is entirely on road most of which is classified as
'A'
> road.
>
> Gary
>
> --
>
> The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely to be read.
>
> For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.
>
>
Sheeesh, I love yous guys...andyou Guy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.