Quik Q: Mavic Carbone Internal Spoke Nipple [tool] Size?

puma

Jul 23, 2003
Just bought a pair of the Cosmic Carbones (the black plastic fairings) and wanted to know what internal nipple spoke tool is necessary? I'm guessing either a 5 or 5.5mm hex socket? Thanks.

puma said:
Just bought a pair of the Cosmic Carbones (the black plastic fairings) and wanted to know what internal nipple spoke tool is necessary? I'm guessing either a 5 or 5.5mm hex socket? Thanks.

5mm but gotta be a pretty thinned walled one as there isn't a lot of space between the nipple and the 'socket' walls. Mavic has made an 'L' shaped one in the past. I have one if you need it.

I had some old Cosmic Pros for a while, and I ended up using a 5mm socket screwdriver, because it had thin enough walls to get in the holes. IIt was only cheap, so I bent it inot an 'L' for easier use. Most 'ordinary' sockets have walls which are too thick to get in

Thanks. I'll pick one up at a shop later today. The new triple-headed SW-15 Park Tool that just came out this Feb may be a good one.

you'll also need a tool to hold the flat spokes, to stop them from rotating when you tighten them

artemidorus said:
Yep, pair of pliers - works a treat! :D
yeah, because the black finish on those black spokes is SO durable and scratch resistant :)

artemidorus said:
Just put a rag around the jaws.
better yet, find a friend who's bought some Zondas or Eurus, then steel the 'disc' holding tool that comes with those wheels :)