Quikmaps

Mark Shroyer

Guest
I had been thinking hypothetically about writing a Google Maps mashup
which would allow me to display detailed bicycle routes on my web page as
a Google Map overlay, but these guys beat me to the punch and then some:

http://www.quikmaps.com/

It's a free (currently beta) service that allows one to create a overlay
of arbitrary paths, labels, and so on, and use that overlay on either a
web-based Google Map or Google Earth.

Here's an example, illustrating my preferred bike route around
Gainesville, FL:

http://www.markshroyer.com/blog/2006/06/28/quikmaps/

I just thought this might be of interest to any other cyclist/webmaster
hybrids around here...

--
Mark Shroyer <[email protected]>
http://www.markshroyer.com/

I can't use that, it would invalidate the sence of purchasing my TopoUSA
program. :-3)

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

In article <[email protected]>,
Mark Shroyer <[email protected]> wrote:

> I had been thinking hypothetically about writing a Google Maps mashup
> which would allow me to display detailed bicycle routes on my web page as
> a Google Map overlay, but these guys beat me to the punch and then some:
>
> http://www.quikmaps.com/
>
> It's a free (currently beta) service that allows one to create a overlay
> of arbitrary paths, labels, and so on, and use that overlay on either a
> web-based Google Map or Google Earth.
>
> Here's an example, illustrating my preferred bike route around
> Gainesville, FL:
>
> http://www.markshroyer.com/blog/2006/06/28/quikmaps/
>
> I just thought this might be of interest to any other cyclist/webmaster
> hybrids around here...

It's nice, but the gmaps pedometer is even nicer for doing bike routes.
It lacks the pins and labels of quikmaps, but the line-drawing routine
is much better conceived for the specific process of route drawing.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

It also does automatic on-the-fly mileage calculations, can do
elevations for North America and the UK, and you can save and print
maps, too. I used it to generate this for my club:

http://www.escapevelocity.bc.ca/wtnc.html
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=133325

Pedants will notice that the map on the EV website doesn't exactly match
the gmaps route. This is because I noticed a small error I had made in
mapping the course after I generated the picture for the website. I
corrected the route (and linked to the corrected version), but didn't do
another site graphic.