quill adapter post

Callistus Valerius

Guest
Put a quill adapter post in, because I didn't want to go through the
trouble of changing forks. I put the 1 1/8 stem on it, and it feels solid
as a rock. But on threadless stems, you have a cap on top. With this
adapter, you don't, because it doesn't tighten the headset, etc. Question
is, does the cap have anything to do with a threadless stem besides that?
And is this a reliable setup? It looks kind of weird, but it's on a
commuter bike, so appearance wasn't a main priority. The post is 1 inch at
the bottom, and 1 1/8 inch at the top. It's heavy too.

Callistus Valerius wrote:
> Put a quill adapter post in, because I didn't want to go through the
> trouble of changing forks. I put the 1 1/8 stem on it, and it feels solid
> as a rock. But on threadless stems, you have a cap on top. With this
> adapter, you don't, because it doesn't tighten the headset, etc. Question
> is, does the cap have anything to do with a threadless stem besides that?
> And is this a reliable setup? It looks kind of weird, but it's on a
> commuter bike, so appearance wasn't a main priority. The post is 1 inch at
> the bottom, and 1 1/8 inch at the top. It's heavy too.

I've ran that setup for a couple years on my fixed gear. Works fine
for me.

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 04:06:11 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Put a quill adapter post in, because I didn't want to go through the
>trouble of changing forks. I put the 1 1/8 stem on it, and it feels solid
>as a rock. But on threadless stems, you have a cap on top. With this
>adapter, you don't, because it doesn't tighten the headset, etc. Question
>is, does the cap have anything to do with a threadless stem besides that?

No. Once the clamp's tight, it's a decoration. Prior to that, it's
just taking the slop out of the headset. The threaded headset makes
the cap completely irrelevant.

>And is this a reliable setup?

Properly installed, it's as reliable as a quill stem. That said, I've
worked a quill stem up as much as half an inch over a period of
several weeks of intermittent riding, without loosening the bolt,
simply by doing a lot of standing to pedal hard. I've never had a
threadless stem slip at all. (I'm still not a complete threadless
fan, though; both systems have their uses.)

>It looks kind of weird, but it's on a
>commuter bike, so appearance wasn't a main priority. The post is 1 inch at
>the bottom, and 1 1/8 inch at the top. It's heavy too.

Sometimes such a setup can solve a problem that resisted all other
practical approaches. Weird can be good when it solves a problem
easily and/or elegantly. (Especially the latter.)

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

In article <T6k%[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Put a quill adapter post in, because I didn't want to go through the
>trouble of changing forks. I put the 1 1/8 stem on it, and it feels solid
>as a rock. But on threadless stems, you have a cap on top. With this
>adapter, you don't, because it doesn't tighten the headset, etc. Question
>is, does the cap have anything to do with a threadless stem besides that?
>And is this a reliable setup? It looks kind of weird, but it's on a
>commuter bike, so appearance wasn't a main priority. The post is 1 inch at
>the bottom, and 1 1/8 inch at the top. It's heavy too.

The cap keeps water from pooling in the adaptor.
------------
Alex

Callistus Valerius wrote:
> Put a quill adapter post in, because I didn't want to go through the
> trouble of changing forks. I put the 1 1/8 stem on it, and it feels solid
> as a rock. But on threadless stems, you have a cap on top. With this
> adapter, you don't, because it doesn't tighten the headset, etc. Question
> is, does the cap have anything to do with a threadless stem besides that?
> And is this a reliable setup? It looks kind of weird, but it's on a
> commuter bike, so appearance wasn't a main priority. The post is 1 inch at
> the bottom, and 1 1/8 inch at the top. It's heavy too.

For the ones that tighten with a bolt down the shaft, yes, it's just a
hole. See if a LBS has a cap to put there, for looks if nuthin else.
Fit is key, not looks, if it means ya ride it more-good.....