quill adapter post

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Callistus Valerius, Apr 12, 2006.

  1. Put a quill adapter post in, because I didn't want to go through the
    trouble of changing forks. I put the 1 1/8 stem on it, and it feels solid
    as a rock. But on threadless stems, you have a cap on top. With this
    adapter, you don't, because it doesn't tighten the headset, etc. Question
    is, does the cap have anything to do with a threadless stem besides that?
    And is this a reliable setup? It looks kind of weird, but it's on a
    commuter bike, so appearance wasn't a main priority. The post is 1 inch at
    the bottom, and 1 1/8 inch at the top. It's heavy too.

    Tags:

  2. Callistus Valerius wrote:
    > Put a quill adapter post in, because I didn't want to go through the
    > trouble of changing forks. I put the 1 1/8 stem on it, and it feels solid
    > as a rock. But on threadless stems, you have a cap on top. With this
    > adapter, you don't, because it doesn't tighten the headset, etc. Question
    > is, does the cap have anything to do with a threadless stem besides that?
    > And is this a reliable setup? It looks kind of weird, but it's on a
    > commuter bike, so appearance wasn't a main priority. The post is 1 inch at
    > the bottom, and 1 1/8 inch at the top. It's heavy too.

    I've ran that setup for a couple years on my fixed gear. Works fine
    for me.

  3. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 04:06:11 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Put a quill adapter post in, because I didn't want to go through the
    >trouble of changing forks. I put the 1 1/8 stem on it, and it feels solid
    >as a rock. But on threadless stems, you have a cap on top. With this
    >adapter, you don't, because it doesn't tighten the headset, etc. Question
    >is, does the cap have anything to do with a threadless stem besides that?

    No. Once the clamp's tight, it's a decoration. Prior to that, it's
    just taking the slop out of the headset. The threaded headset makes
    the cap completely irrelevant.

    >And is this a reliable setup?

    Properly installed, it's as reliable as a quill stem. That said, I've
    worked a quill stem up as much as half an inch over a period of
    several weeks of intermittent riding, without loosening the bolt,
    simply by doing a lot of standing to pedal hard. I've never had a
    threadless stem slip at all. (I'm still not a complete threadless
    fan, though; both systems have their uses.)

    >It looks kind of weird, but it's on a
    >commuter bike, so appearance wasn't a main priority. The post is 1 inch at
    >the bottom, and 1 1/8 inch at the top. It's heavy too.

    Sometimes such a setup can solve a problem that resisted all other
    practical approaches. Weird can be good when it solves a problem
    easily and/or elegantly. (Especially the latter.)

    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  4. In article <T6k%[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > Put a quill adapter post in, because I didn't want to go through the
    >trouble of changing forks. I put the 1 1/8 stem on it, and it feels solid
    >as a rock. But on threadless stems, you have a cap on top. With this
    >adapter, you don't, because it doesn't tighten the headset, etc. Question
    >is, does the cap have anything to do with a threadless stem besides that?
    >And is this a reliable setup? It looks kind of weird, but it's on a
    >commuter bike, so appearance wasn't a main priority. The post is 1 inch at
    >the bottom, and 1 1/8 inch at the top. It's heavy too.

    The cap keeps water from pooling in the adaptor.
    ------------
    Alex

  5. Callistus Valerius wrote:
    > Put a quill adapter post in, because I didn't want to go through the
    > trouble of changing forks. I put the 1 1/8 stem on it, and it feels solid
    > as a rock. But on threadless stems, you have a cap on top. With this
    > adapter, you don't, because it doesn't tighten the headset, etc. Question
    > is, does the cap have anything to do with a threadless stem besides that?
    > And is this a reliable setup? It looks kind of weird, but it's on a
    > commuter bike, so appearance wasn't a main priority. The post is 1 inch at
    > the bottom, and 1 1/8 inch at the top. It's heavy too.

    For the ones that tighten with a bolt down the shaft, yes, it's just a
    hole. See if a LBS has a cap to put there, for looks if nuthin else.
    Fit is key, not looks, if it means ya ride it more-good.....