Quill Stem for 1" threaded steerer. What kind of headset do I need?

PhillyJeff

Sep 30, 2004
Hi. This is my first post so please bear with me. I just bought a used 1997 Lemond Maillot Jaune. It has a 1" threaded steerer with a quill stem. I am not sure of the headset, but I wanted to purchase a new one. Can anyone help me with this?

I was hoping to get a Chris King headset. Is that possible with my quill stem? Thanks in advance.

PhillyJeff said:
Hi. This is my first post so please bear with me. I just bought a used 1997 Lemond Maillot Jaune. It has a 1" threaded steerer with a quill stem. I am not sure of the headset, but I wanted to purchase a new one. Can anyone help me with this?

I was hoping to get a Chris King headset. Is that possible with my quill stem? Thanks in advance.
Yes..............

PhillyJeff said:

I've got the impression you're gunna do some internet buying. A head-set is not always something you can buy on-line because there are slight variations in the dimensions. You've gotta make sure the race fits your fork and the cups fit your frame.

Fat Hack said:
I've got the impression you're gunna do some internet buying. A head-set is not always something you can buy on-line because there are slight variations in the dimensions. You've gotta make sure the race fits your fork and the cups fit your frame.
Don't muddy the friggin water. The Lemond 1" threaded is ISO. That is what 99% of the current 1" threaded offerings will be. One has to try hard to come up with a 1" jis. And even if he dummied into one with Italian threading,It's still compatible.

boudreaux said:
Don't muddy the friggin water. The Lemond 1" threaded is ISO. That is what 99% of the current 1" threaded offerings will be. One has to try hard to come up with a 1" jis. And even if he dummied into one with Italian threading,It's still compatible.
Thanks so much for the information. It was really helpful and appreciated. By the way, what is "ISO" and "jis".;)

PhillyJeff said:
Thanks so much for the information. It was really helpful and appreciated. By the way, what is "ISO" and "jis".;)
standards used in the manufacture of parts. iso = International Orginization for Stadardization. jis = Japaneese Industrial standard.