Quill Stem Opinions

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Johnny Two Peda, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. In light of the recent Broken 3TTT Motus Stem thread, I'm seriously contemplating getting a new
    stem. The choice has narrowed to a Deda Murex or a Salsa SUL. I will not go down the threaded to
    threadless adapter route.

    Prices and specs between the stems are comparable. The Deda would look better, as it's styling is
    far superior to the Salsa, which is more "industrial". Google searches for both stems reveal a
    couple of negative hits for each, some older reviews on RoadBike Review ripped the Deda to shreds.
    Thus the quandry...

    I no longer race, but still ride 3.5 -5K yearly at a very hard pace. I'm a very strong 210lbs, so I
    do put some stress on the bars.

    I'd appreciate some thoughtful, well formed opinions (on RBT??? Dream on..) on either stem to help
    in my decision.

    Thanks in advance

    Tags:

  2. Top Sirloin

    Top Sirloin Guest

    On 23 Feb 2004 03:43:28 -0800, [email protected] (Johnny Two Pedals) wrote:

    >Prices and specs between the stems are comparable. The Deda would look better, as it's styling is
    >far superior to the Salsa, which is more "industrial". Google searches for both stems reveal a
    >couple of negative hits for each, some older reviews on RoadBike Review ripped the Deda to shreds.
    >Thus the quandry...

    Buy one of each? Quill stem selection is shrinking rapidly IMHO.

    >I no longer race, but still ride 3.5 -5K yearly at a very hard pace. I'm a very strong 210lbs, so I
    >do put some stress on the bars.
    >
    >I'd appreciate some thoughtful, well formed opinions (on RBT??? Dream on..) on either stem to help
    >in my decision.

    I'm just as beefy and I have one of the chunky CODA stems right now and it's pretty damn stiff.
    That said I just bought a SUL because I wanted to try it out while I could still get the size and
    angle I wanted.

    --
    Scott Johnson "There is nothing, I think, more unfortunate than to have soft, chubby, fat-looking
    children who go to watch their school play basketball every Saturday and regard that as their week's

  3. Jim Beam

    Jim Beam Guest

    if you're worried about fatigue, get the salsa.

    Johnny Two Pedals wrote:
    > In light of the recent Broken 3TTT Motus Stem thread, I'm seriously contemplating getting a new
    > stem. The choice has narrowed to a Deda Murex or a Salsa SUL. I will not go down the threaded to
    > threadless adapter route.
    >
    > Prices and specs between the stems are comparable. The Deda would look better, as it's styling is
    > far superior to the Salsa, which is more "industrial". Google searches for both stems reveal a
    > couple of negative hits for each, some older reviews on RoadBike Review ripped the Deda to shreds.
    > Thus the quandry...
    >
    > I no longer race, but still ride 3.5 -5K yearly at a very hard pace. I'm a very strong 210lbs, so
    > I do put some stress on the bars.
    >
    > I'd appreciate some thoughtful, well formed opinions (on RBT??? Dream on..) on either stem to help
    > in my decision.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

  4. David Newman

    David Newman Guest

    The Deda Murex seemed kinda flexy to me, and I'm not as big as you are. I also found its clamp
    strength to be unsatisfactory -- my bars twisted in the clamp too easily. Finally, the face plate
    bolts were too long and the design doesn't allow for much variability in handlebar diameter: If your
    handlebar is a bit small in diameter, it's possible to tighten the bolts far enough that they poke
    through the top side of the stem. Those last two items are related, of course.

    Have you considered the Cinelli Frog? I bought one but haven't used it since I ended up switching to
    threadless.

    >>Dave

  5. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    <snip>
    > I no longer race, but still ride 3.5 -5K yearly at a very hard pace. I'm a very strong 210lbs, so
    > I do put some stress on the bars.
    <snip>

    I'm a reasonably strong 210, and rode 4700 last year. I have had a Salsa quill stem for the last two
    years and it has been fine. I looked at the Murex and, personally, I think the Salsa is more
    attractive.

    App

  6. David

    David Guest

    "Johnny Two Pedals" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    <snip>

    The salsa SUL is the way to go. I've been using it on my main winter bike and wow! what a difference
    it makes over anything i've had on there before. Nice craftmanship and strength. I have a itm
    millineum on my summer bike, and the salsa is much stronger.

    david

  7. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    may have said:

    >In light of the recent Broken 3TTT Motus Stem thread, I'm seriously contemplating getting a new
    >stem. The choice has narrowed to a Deda Murex or a Salsa SUL.

    If you can break a Salsa, you need hardware that you're not going to get off the shelf.

  8. Frank Knox

    Frank Knox Guest

    "Johnny Two Pedals" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In light of the recent Broken 3TTT Motus Stem thread, I'm seriously contemplating getting a new
    > stem. The choice has narrowed to a Deda Murex or a Salsa SUL. I will not go down the threaded to
    > threadless adapter route.
    >
    > Prices and specs between the stems are comparable. The Deda would look better, as it's styling is
    > far superior to the Salsa, which is more "industrial". Google searches for both stems reveal a
    > couple of negative hits for each, some older reviews on RoadBike Review ripped the Deda to shreds.
    > Thus the quandry...
    >
    > I no longer race, but still ride 3.5 -5K yearly at a very hard pace. I'm a very strong 210lbs, so
    > I do put some stress on the bars.
    >
    > I'd appreciate some thoughtful, well formed opinions (on RBT??? Dream on..) on either stem to help
    > in my decision.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    I like my Salsa SUL. Made by Waterford. Lifetime guarantee too. You can order yours directly from
    Waterford bikes as I did. For a small upcharge they will paint it a color other than black for you.
    I had them paint mine to match the finish on my Waterford frame.

  9. The threads on the top bolt of my Kalloy UNO stem stripped out on me Sunday, so I've been looking
    for another quill stem with removable faceplate. I assume from the choices you gave in your post
    that this is what you're looking for as well.

    One of the more promising choices I've seen is the Cinelli "Frog":

    http://www.xxcycle.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl?SCREEN=detail&REF=365

    The design looks a lot stronger than the two bolt front mount seen on the Kalloy and similar road
    stems (Profile Designs, Zoom, Salsa). Not only because it has three bolts, but the face plate is
    mounted on top of the stem. Meaning the STEM, not the bolt threads bear the weight.

    The reviews of this stem are good, but it is a bit pricey.

    "May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  10. >Subject: Re: Quill Stem Opinions
    >From: [email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman")
    >Date: 2/23/2004 7:24 PM Central Standard Time
    >
    >The threads on the top bolt of my Kalloy UNO stem stripped out on me Sunday, so I've been looking
    >for another quill stem with removable faceplate. I assume from the choices you gave in your post
    >that this is what you're looking for as well.
    >
    >One of the more promising choices I've seen is the Cinelli "Frog":
    >
    >http://www.xxcycle.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl?SCREEN=detail&REF=365
    >
    >The design looks a lot stronger than the two bolt front mount seen on the Kalloy and similar road
    >stems (Profile Designs, Zoom, Salsa). Not only because it has three bolts, but the face plate is
    >mounted on top of the stem. Meaning the STEM, not the bolt threads bear the weight.
    >
    >The reviews of this stem are good, but it is a bit pricey.
    >
    >"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"
    >
    >Chris Zacho ~ "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
    >
    >Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

    I've owned both the Salsa SUL and the Cinelli Frog ( 73 deg). Both are good stems and comparable in
    weight (despite what the ads say, I weighed them). The Salsa is noticably stiffer and has a better
    faceplate design, but it is steel and if you chip the paint it's going to rust. I've had to re-paint
    one of the earlier ones (pre-SUL). That said I setteled on the Frog, primarly because I got a little
    more elevation without exceding the minimum insertion line. If I weighed 200+ (I'm 170#) I'd lean
    toward the Salsa and switch to a 90 deg to get my elevation. Steve