Quill stem slipping in steerer - how can I fix this?

bryanska

Guest
I am resurrecting an old Rockhopper with a quill stem. I can't get the
quill stem to stop rotating in the steere. Seeing as will ride off
road, I need it to STAY.

The quill stem is greased. But no matter how tight I can get it, I can
still twist the handlebars in the steerer, thus winding up with bars
skewed at an angle compared to the front wheel.

Any tips? I am not inserting it too far down, and am well within the
minimum insertion.

I'd rather not put money into it. This is going to be the beater bike.

On Apr 3, 10:27 am, bryanska <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am resurrecting an old Rockhopper with a quill stem. I can't get the
> quill stem to stop rotating in the steere. Seeing as will ride off
> road, I need it to STAY.

Weird. I've fixed up a few of those--they make awesome city huckers if
you add slicks, fenders, and a crate. It's a wedge stem as far as I
remember...did you try a few different vertical positions inside the
steerer? Those stems have a good couple inches of adjustment. Have
you pulled the fork to check the steerer tube for deformity? If it's
fubared, a rigid mtb fork should be easy to scavenge. Check your local
weed smoking bike collective, or cannibalize a ten dollar thrift bike.
If you want to go fancy, Kona has some 1" P2s available, but that's
real money ($60). I guess it could be a screwy stem...can you screw it
down out of the steerer and see the wedge work?

On Apr 3, 12:36 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 3, 10:27 am, bryanska <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I am resurrecting an old Rockhopper with a quill stem. I can't get the
> > quill stem to stop rotating in the steere. Seeing as will ride off
> > road, I need it to STAY.

> Weird. I've fixed up a few of those--they make awesome city huckers if
> you add slicks, fenders, and a crate. It's a wedge stem as far as I
> remember...did you try a few different vertical positions inside the
> steerer? Those stems have a good couple inches  of adjustment. Have
> you pulled the fork to check the steerer tube for deformity? If it's
> fubared, a rigid mtb fork should be easy to scavenge. Check your local
> weed smoking bike collective, or cannibalize a ten dollar thrift bike.
> If you want to go fancy, Kona has some 1" P2s available, but that's
> real money ($60). I guess it could be a screwy stem...can you screw it
> down out of the steerer and see the wedge work?

yep the thread in the wedge might be stripped