quill stem with faceplate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael

I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on faceplates (like
all the threadless stems have) so I won't have to take off the bar tape and a lever if I ever want
to swap stems again. Does anybody make such a thing?

This is a threaded fork (obviously), 1" I think.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
(Michael) wrote:

> I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on faceplates (like
> all the threadless stems have) so I won't have to take off the bar tape and a lever if I ever want
> to swap stems again. Does anybody make such a thing?

Yes.

> This is a threaded fork (obviously), 1" I think.

I have such a beast myself, a riser stem I'm using on a nice old touring bicycle. These are
reasonably common, though you will probably have the best luck finding one at a shop geared towards
roadies or commuters.

Funny story about that stem: I paid $20 for the stem, but only $10 for the bike. It was a
garage-sale steal.

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

michael-<< I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on
faceplates (like all the threadless stems have >><BR><BR>

Profile and Salsa both make quill faceplate 1 inch stems.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Not that common now though we have some here downunder by Kalloy. Otherwise use a quill adaptor so
you can use the thousands of mtb aheadstems.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> michael-<< I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on
> faceplates (like all the threadless stems have >><BR><BR>
>
> Profile and Salsa both make quill faceplate 1 inch stems.
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

>> I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on faceplates
>> (like all the threadless stems have

> Not that common now though we have some here downunder by Kalloy. Otherwise use a quill adaptor so
> you can use the thousands of mtb aheadstems.

Most online bike shops have different sections for road and MTB threadless stems. What's the
difference? Which would work with a quill adapter?

[email protected] (Michael) writes:
> I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on faceplates (like
> all the threadless stems have) so I won't have to take off the bar tape and a lever if I ever want
>
> This is a threaded fork (obviously), 1" I think.

Cinelli Frog stem does what you want. I've got one on an older Landshark and I like it. Found one on
ebay new for $34.

Tried a Cinelli quill adapter with a threadless-headset stem (Cinelli Alter) and the stem would
"walk" it's way up the quill adapter.

Morgan

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
>
>I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on faceplates (like
>all the threadless stems have) so I won't have to take off the bar tape and a lever if I ever want
>to swap stems again. Does anybody make such a thing?
>
>This is a threaded fork (obviously), 1" I think.

Profile H2O is once such stem. Not too pricey either.
------------------
Alex

[email protected] (Michael) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>

ITM do - the Big One and more basic Alu Tig models are both "front-loading". Failing that, you could
always try a threadless stem of this style with an Ahead-to-quill adaptor (from Cinelli or similar).

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

"Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

I just got one of those, a "Zoom", on sale at Nashbar for $20 or so.

"Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >> I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on faceplates
> >> (like all the threadless stems have
>
> > Not that common now though we have some here downunder by Kalloy. Otherwise use a quill adaptor
> > so you can use the thousands of mtb aheadstems.
>
> Most online bike shops have different sections for road and MTB threadless stems. What's the
> difference? Which would work with a quill adapter?

"Road" and "MTB" are generally shorthand for 26.0 bars vs. 25.4 bars, respectively. And misleading
at that, as some road bars are 25.4. As in helmets, all the rest is fashion.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 06:34:13 +0000, Michael wrote:

Sure. Lots of options. I have a "Zoom" stem that is 1" threaded and has a faceplate like you want.
Either Performance or Nashbar will have them.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass. _`\(,_ | What are you on?"
--Lance Armstrong (_)/ (_) |

In article <[email protected]>, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 06:34:13 +0000, Michael wrote:
>
> > I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on faceplates
> > (like all the threadless stems have) so I won't have to take off the bar tape and a lever if I
> > ever want to swap stems again. Does anybody make such a thing?
>
> Sure. Lots of options. I have a "Zoom" stem that is 1" threaded and has a faceplate like you want.
> Either Performance or Nashbar will have them.

Salsa also makes a quill stem with a face plate, and you can probably find the Deda Murex stem with
a face plate mounted on the bottom. I know the Deda stem is 1 inch, and I assume that the Salsa
stem is too.

>>Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.