quill stem with faceplate?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Michael, Jun 12, 2003.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on faceplates (like
    all the threadless stems have) so I won't have to take off the bar tape and a lever if I ever want
    to swap stems again. Does anybody make such a thing?

    This is a threaded fork (obviously), 1" I think.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    (Michael) wrote:

    > I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on faceplates (like
    > all the threadless stems have) so I won't have to take off the bar tape and a lever if I ever want
    > to swap stems again. Does anybody make such a thing?

    Yes.

    > This is a threaded fork (obviously), 1" I think.

    I have such a beast myself, a riser stem I'm using on a nice old touring bicycle. These are
    reasonably common, though you will probably have the best luck finding one at a shop geared towards
    roadies or commuters.

    Funny story about that stem: I paid $20 for the stem, but only $10 for the bike. It was a
    garage-sale steal.

  3. michael-<< I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on
    faceplates (like all the threadless stems have >><BR><BR>

    Profile and Salsa both make quill faceplate 1 inch stems.

  4. Ideal

    Ideal Guest

    Not that common now though we have some here downunder by Kalloy. Otherwise use a quill adaptor so
    you can use the thousands of mtb aheadstems.

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > michael-<< I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on
    > faceplates (like all the threadless stems have >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Profile and Salsa both make quill faceplate 1 inch stems.

  5. ><< I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on faceplates
    >(like all the threadless stems have >>

    Cinelli makes the one I've been using "The Frog" http://www.cbike.com/cinellistems.htm Steve

  6. Michael

    Michael Guest

    >> I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on faceplates
    >> (like all the threadless stems have

    > Not that common now though we have some here downunder by Kalloy. Otherwise use a quill adaptor so
    > you can use the thousands of mtb aheadstems.

    Most online bike shops have different sections for road and MTB threadless stems. What's the
    difference? Which would work with a quill adapter?

  7. [email protected] (Michael) writes:
    > I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on faceplates (like
    > all the threadless stems have) so I won't have to take off the bar tape and a lever if I ever want
    > to swap stems again. Does anybody make such a thing?
    >
    > This is a threaded fork (obviously), 1" I think.

    Cinelli Frog stem does what you want. I've got one on an older Landshark and I like it. Found one on
    ebay new for $34.

    Tried a Cinelli quill adapter with a threadless-headset stem (Cinelli Alter) and the stem would
    "walk" it's way up the quill adapter.

    Morgan

  8. Todd Kuzma

    Todd Kuzma Guest

    Salsa SUL.

    Todd Kuzma

  9. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on faceplates (like
    >all the threadless stems have) so I won't have to take off the bar tape and a lever if I ever want
    >to swap stems again. Does anybody make such a thing?
    >
    >This is a threaded fork (obviously), 1" I think.

    Profile H2O is once such stem. Not too pricey either.
    ------------------
    Alex

  10. [email protected] (Michael) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on faceplates (like
    > all the threadless stems have) so I won't have to take off the bar tape and a lever if I ever want
    > to swap stems again. Does anybody make such a thing?

    ITM do - the Big One and more basic Alu Tig models are both "front-loading". Failing that, you could
    always try a threadless stem of this style with an Ahead-to-quill adaptor (from Cinelli or similar).

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  11. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on faceplates (like
    > all the threadless stems have) so I won't have to take off the bar tape and a lever if I ever want
    > to swap stems again. Does anybody make such a thing?

    I just got one of those, a "Zoom", on sale at Nashbar for $20 or so.

  12. Tdwfl

    Tdwfl Guest

    >I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on faceplates (like
    >all the threadless stems have) so I won't have to take off the bar tape and a lever if I ever want
    >to swap stems again. Does anybody make such a thing?

    Look here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3613401239

  13. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Michael" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >> I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on faceplates
    > >> (like all the threadless stems have
    >
    > > Not that common now though we have some here downunder by Kalloy. Otherwise use a quill adaptor
    > > so you can use the thousands of mtb aheadstems.
    >
    > Most online bike shops have different sections for road and MTB threadless stems. What's the
    > difference? Which would work with a quill adapter?

    "Road" and "MTB" are generally shorthand for 26.0 bars vs. 25.4 bars, respectively. And misleading
    at that, as some road bars are 25.4. As in helmets, all the rest is fashion.

  14. On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 06:34:13 +0000, Michael wrote:

    > I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on faceplates (like
    > all the threadless stems have) so I won't have to take off the bar tape and a lever if I ever want
    > to swap stems again. Does anybody make such a thing?

    Sure. Lots of options. I have a "Zoom" stem that is 1" threaded and has a faceplate like you want.
    Either Performance or Nashbar will have them.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass. _`\(,_ | What are you on?"
    --Lance Armstrong (_)/ (_) |

  15. David Newman

    David Newman Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 06:34:13 +0000, Michael wrote:
    >
    > > I need to shorten my stem, and I'd like the new stem to have one of those bolt-on faceplates
    > > (like all the threadless stems have) so I won't have to take off the bar tape and a lever if I
    > > ever want to swap stems again. Does anybody make such a thing?
    >
    > Sure. Lots of options. I have a "Zoom" stem that is 1" threaded and has a faceplate like you want.
    > Either Performance or Nashbar will have them.

    Salsa also makes a quill stem with a face plate, and you can probably find the Deda Murex stem with
    a face plate mounted on the bottom. I know the Deda stem is 1 inch, and I assume that the Salsa
    stem is too.