Quill vs. Threadless

trekrider

Jul 19, 2003
I am currently completely rebuilding my Trek 5000 and am curious to get opinions...

As I shop for my stem / handlebar combination I am now keenly aware of the massive difference in the availability of stem types. I am still running threaded forks and am struck by how many more options are available in the threadless world. What are the advantages of switching?

One more question... is there anyone who (like me) finds a nice quill stem to be generally more attractive?

Fire away...:)

Originally posted by trekrider
I am currently completely rebuilding my Trek 5000 and am curious to get opinions...

As I shop for my stem / handlebar combination I am now keenly aware of the massive difference in the availability of stem types. I am still running threaded forks and am struck by how many more options are available in the threadless world. What are the advantages of switching?

One more question... is there anyone who (like me) finds a nice quill stem to be generally more attractive?

Fire away...:)

maybe, but a threadless ahead set looks better

Originally posted by fushman
maybe, but a threadless ahead set looks better

I gotta say, the main reason I want a threadless stem and fork is so I can have the handle bars much higher, whilst looking better.
:D

I only have quill stems on all my bikes, and I hate that skinny little stem sticking way out of the steerer. They look ok when they're low, but when you raise them they looky 'yukky':)

So, i guess i disaggree

Well, a few years ago, I'd have said the main reason to go threadless was to open yourself up to the broadening range of stuff available... threadless systems make changing your reach, rise, and bike-aesthetic a snap.

Nowadays, though, I'd say the main reason to go threadless is because the 1" quill is on the verge of total extinction -- unless you're a classicist and a tinkerer, it's not a pratical choice if you're buying new or rebuilding.

I'm undecided on quill looks... they've got a retro-elegance to them, which is classy but sort of the problem as well. You can't divorce their appearence from the fact that they're dated. These days, a quill stem is like a pair of acid-washed jeans, or feathered hair. Not inherently bad, but decade-linked.

I am not exactly a classicist and curently I have a long term project building a 'psuedo-classic' (for lack of a better term) bike akin to the early to mid 90's. Frame is a columbus steel Colnago with plated lugs and chain stay and steel fork, Record delta brakes and brake levers. I am still sourcing the early 90's Record crank which to my mind has a more elegant spider than the current Record.

Although I prefer the chunky, robust look of today's threadless systems on a modern bike the Colnago will get the classic quill, a Cinelli grammo maybe.

Note: Also add among the disadvantage of the quill system is that it breeds rust on a steel steerer if left uncheck.

Although I prefer the chunky, robust look of today's threadless systems on a modern bike the Colnago will get the classic quill, a Cinelli grammo maybe.

Note: Also add among the disadvantage of the quill system is that it breeds rust on a steel steerer if left uncheck. [/B][/QUOTE] There is nothing Classic about a titanium Cinelli Grammo.Want classic and boat anchor quality too,try a Cinelli XA. And FWIW, an aluminum quill and expander CANNOT BREED RUST . A smart guy ought to know that. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by boudreaux

Note: Also add among the disadvantage of the quill system is that it breeds rust on a steel steerer if left uncheck.
There is nothing Classic about a titanium Cinelli Grammo.Want classic and boat anchor quality too,try a Cinelli XA. And FWIW, an aluminum quill and expander CANNOT BREED RUST . A smart guy ought to know that. :rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

Why dont u shut your face! How can you refute soemone else's perspective. If a 2003 CF Ridley Damocles looks classic to me then that's my problem Jerk-O. Besides, your preference of the XA stem sucks - says a lot about your equipment of choice. Also read - 1990's look. That means steel frame, downtube shifters and yes a with quill stem akin to Djamolidine's Carrera or Indurain's Pinarello. They did use grammo.

And FWIW, an aluminum quill and expander CANNOT BREED RUST . A smart guy ought to know that.

The rust does not come from the aluminum quill per-se - it breeds rust because perspiration can seep thru the stem, into the steerer, settle there and the STEEL steerer will rust from the inside. Ever wonder why they grease the steerer inside when using a quill stem? Go figure EINSTEIN.

Originally posted by dennis dee

The rust does not come from the aluminum quill per-se - it breeds rust because perspiration can seep thru the stem, into the steerer, settle there and the STEEL steerer will rust from the inside. Ever wonder why they grease the steerer inside when using a quill stem? Go figure EINSTEIN.
Heres a hot tip for ya. There are also steel threadless steerers. Ya think prespiration or water cannot get inside them? Anyhow, if a steel steerer is greased or treated with a rust preventive like framesaver, RUST becomes something of a moot point....eh? smart guy...

Heres a hot tip for ya. There are also steel threadless steerers. Ya think prespiration or water cannot get inside them? Anyhow, if a steel steerer is greased or treated with a rust preventive like framesaver, RUST becomes something of a moot point....eh? smart guy...

Halleluiah! Why don't you make it your crusade to inform the millions of biking masses who are not as Anally Retentive as you. I am sure that will uplift your well-being tremendously.

Heres a hot tip for ya. There are also steel threadless steerers. Ya think prespiration or water cannot get inside them?

yeah but less likely than a quill system...EINSTEIN! :p

... 16 year old? u sure ur not a retard? ROTFL

Wow... I didn't know my simple post could generate such animosity amongst the group!! It's just a stem guys.... try to keep your perspective. :D :D

Now you are backpedaling AND making assumptions.

Mindless ramblings just to push a point. A quill system is more exposed vs a threadless system - its common sense. But dont bother, I am sure you'll have problems figuring that.

There is nothing Classic about a titanium Cinelli Grammo.Want classic and boat anchor quality too,try a Cinelli XA. And FWIW, an aluminum quill and expander CANNOT BREED RUST . A smart guy ought to know that. :rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

Any reason why you choose to be so snide with your replies? You've been smarmy with a couple of mine, now you flame a poll? Give the attitude a rest...it's getting old.

Don't like the attitude....? Tell it to someone else.

The guilty boy points and accusing finger. Yeah, anyone but you eh. *pitiful*

I only have problems with you boudrreaux and not anyone else because you're always rude when you reply to my posts. I reply to everyone else with respect.

Insensitive fool! Serves you right coz you get what you put in... LOL

From the 'smart guy' in a clown suit and a crutch....LOL

Better than a ***** like you! Really dig ridin' without a saddle eh... try an aero seatpost. I'm sure it will be clarifying for you.

Fool! ROTFL