Quinoa

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jarkat2002, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. Jarkat2002

    Jarkat2002 Guest

    I have found a recipe for Peruvian Chicken Ragout that calls for Quinoa. I have never heard of this
    grain before (I had to google it) and don't have it in my pantry (yet). I'm not even sure it's
    considered a grain, some sites say yes, some say no. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup ... can I
    substitute barley instead? Or rice? Would it still be 1/2 cup and would I cook it before adding it
    to the soup? The recipe does not call for the quinoa to be precooked. Thank you! ~Kat

    "I think I would like to call myself 'the girl who wanted to be God'. Yet if I were not in this
    body, where would I be--perhaps I am destined to be classified and qualified. But, oh, I cry out
    aginst it." --Sylvia Plath

    Tags:

  2. "Jarkat2002" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have found a recipe for Peruvian Chicken Ragout that calls for Quinoa.
    > have never heard of this grain before (I had to google it) and don't have
    it in
    > my pantry (yet). I'm not even sure it's considered a grain, some sites
    say
    > yes, some say no. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup ... can I substitute barley instead? Or
    rice?
    > Would it still be 1/2 cup and would I cook it before adding it to the
    soup?
    > The recipe does not call for the quinoa to be precooked. Thank you!

    Oh man, quinoa is great! See if you can find it at your local grocery store (it is in mine). The
    thing with quinoa is you have to rince it before cooking it. There is a bitter substance on the
    surface that is thought to be produced by the grain (yes, it is a grain) to protect it from insects.
    Once you rince it it is fine. Also, quinoa is one of the ancient grains and contains all the
    essential amino acids. Therefore it is considered a complete protein.

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    Jarkat2002 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I have found a recipe for Peruvian Chicken Ragout that calls for Quinoa. I have never heard of this
    >grain before (I had to google it) and don't have it in my pantry (yet). I'm not even sure it's
    >considered a grain, some sites say yes, some say no.

    If you have a Whole Foods Market or any natural food store that sells stuff in bulk, you are likely
    to find it there. I like quinoa. It has a nice mouth feel, much firmer than rice or barley.

    >The recipe calls for 1/2 cup ... can I substitute barley instead? Or rice? Would it still be 1/2
    >cup and would I cook it before adding it to the soup? The recipe does not call for the quinoa to be
    >precooked.

    You would use it the same way you'd use rice. If you would pre-cook rice, then you should pre-cook
    the quinoa. And rinse it (it has a slightly bitter flavor on the surface) after cooking.

    You could also substitute couscous.

    -A

  4. Jarkat2002

    Jarkat2002 Guest

    >You could also substitute couscous.
    >
    >-A

    ahhh ... thank you ... couscous I have! :D

    ~Kat

    "I think I would like to call myself 'the girl who wanted to be God'. Yet if I were not in this
    body, where would I be--perhaps I am destined to be classified and qualified. But, oh, I cry out
    aginst it." --Sylvia Plath

  5. Jarkat2002

    Jarkat2002 Guest

    >Oh man, quinoa is great! See if you can find it at your local grocery store (it is in mine). The
    >thing with quinoa is you have to rince it before cooking it. There is a bitter substance on the
    >surface that is thought to be produced by the grain (yes, it is a grain) to protect it from
    >insects. Once you rince it it is fine. Also, quinoa is one of the ancient grains and contains all
    >the essential amino acids. Therefore it is considered a complete protein.

    I'll get some on my next food co-op trip! ~Kat

    "I think I would like to call myself 'the girl who wanted to be God'. Yet if I were not in this
    body, where would I be--perhaps I am destined to be classified and qualified. But, oh, I cry out
    aginst it." --Sylvia Plath

  6. If you're going for the authentic Peruvian dish, try to find quinoa.

    It is pronounced keen-wa.

    If you're going to get technical botanically, quinoa isn't a grain in that it isn't in the grass
    family and doesn't have the same sorts of leaves or seeds that grass has. Other than that, it cooks
    like a grain, looks like a grain, has the nutritional components of a grain and is found in the
    grain section of the store. I call it a grain, and no one corrects me.

    Look for quinoa in health food stores.

    Rinse the quinoa first. Put it in a sauce pan with 3 times as much water. Cover. Bring to a boil.
    Lower to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes. Lift cover and have a look (and taste). Sometimes it needs
    a tad more water or a few more minutes to cook through. In other words, cook it like rice.

    You could substitute cracked wheat (my first choice) or cous cous or kasha or short grain brown rice
    (my second choice). Barley would be too soft.

    Quinoa is a favorite of mine. In fact, my substitutions usually go the other way around. The recipe
    will call for cous cous or cracked wheat, and I use quinoa instead. I make quinoa tabouli now
    without thinking that the recipe originally called for cracked wheat.

    --Lia

    Jarkat2002 wrote:
    > I have found a recipe for Peruvian Chicken Ragout that calls for Quinoa. I have never heard of
    > this grain before (I had to google it) and don't have it in my pantry (yet). I'm not even sure
    > it's considered a grain, some sites say yes, some say no. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup ... can I
    > substitute barley instead? Or rice? Would it still be 1/2 cup and would I cook it before adding it
    > to the soup? The recipe does not call for the quinoa to be precooked. Thank you! ~Kat
    >

    > "I think I would like to call myself 'the girl who wanted to be God'. Yet if I were not in this
    > body, where would I be--perhaps I am destined to be classified and qualified. But, oh, I cry out
    > aginst it." --Sylvia Plath

  7. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (Jarkat2002) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have found a recipe for Peruvian Chicken Ragout that calls for Quinoa. I have never heard of
    > this grain before (I had to google it) and don't have it in my pantry (yet). I'm not even sure
    > it's considered a grain, some sites say yes, some say no. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup ... can I
    > substitute barley instead? Or rice? Would it still be 1/2 cup and would I cook it before adding it
    > to the soup? The recipe does not call for the quinoa to be precooked.

    Kat,

    Some things to consider:

    1. Quinoa has a very distinctive taste and very strong taste for a grain. You can substitute all
    you want, but it will taste different. Not bad or good, but different. The taste of quinoa can
    actually overpower other tastes. If I was to guess what to substitute, it would be wild rice.
    Maybe brown rice. (See #2 below.)

    2. Quinoa cooks fairly quickly and barley cooks slowly. Keep this in mind when trying to substitute
    an uncooked grain.

    3. I don't believe Quinoa expands as much as barley or even rice when cooked. This is hard to
    estimate because quinoa is a very small, round seed. So even if it expanded 100%, it would be
    hard to see. (The grain to water ratio is the standard 2:1, so it has to expand when it soaks up
    the water.)

    If you really want to follow the original recipe, I'd try to locate quinoa at health food type
    stores or on line.

    Hope this helps,

    Ken

  8. Could you cook it in a rice cooker?

  9. Jarkat2002

    Jarkat2002 Guest

    >Kat,
    >
    >Some things to consider:
    >
    >1. Quinoa has a very distinctive taste and very strong taste for a grain. You can substitute all
    > you want, but it will taste different. Not bad or good, but different. The taste of quinoa can
    > actually overpower other tastes. If I was to guess what to substitute, it would be wild rice.
    > Maybe brown rice. (See #2 below.)
    >
    >2. Quinoa cooks fairly quickly and barley cooks slowly. Keep this in mind when trying to
    > substitute an uncooked grain.
    >
    >3. I don't believe Quinoa expands as much as barley or even rice when cooked. This is hard to
    > estimate because quinoa is a very small, round seed. So even if it expanded 100%, it would be
    > hard to see. (The grain to water ratio is the standard 2:1, so it has to expand when it soaks
    > up the water.)
    >
    >If you really want to follow the original recipe, I'd try to locate quinoa at health food type
    >stores or on line.
    >
    >Hope this helps,
    >
    >Ken

    Thank you for all of the great information ... I can't wait to give quinoa a try :) ~Kat

    "I think I would like to call myself 'the girl who wanted to be God'. Yet if I were not in this
    body, where would I be--perhaps I am destined to be classified and qualified. But, oh, I cry out
    aginst it." --Sylvia Plath

  10. Ken

    Ken Guest

    > >Hope this helps,
    > >
    > >Ken
    > >

    > Thank you for all of the great information ... I can't wait to give quinoa a try :) ~Kat

    Kat,

    One of my pet peeves is when people ask for advice/help on a n.g., get many replies, and never do a
    quick "thank you" reply back.

    Well, thank you for saying thank you.

    As I said before, if you put quinoa (pronounced keenwa) in a soup or stew to thicken it, you'll
    definitely taste it. It's not a neutral taste like couscous or white rice. (Flame away all you
    couscous and white rice lovers, but try quinoa and you'll know what I mean.)

    Ken

  11. Jay

    Jay Guest

    "cynthia mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Could you cook it in a rice cooker?

    I have many times. Seems to work fine for me.

    -Jay

    --

    "[Robert Smith's] music makes you cry, even if you haven't broken up with
    your girlfriend or ran over a kitty in the road and deep fried it in your