Quit your motorcycle and pedal a bicycle!

Tom Keats wrote:
> > Actually, bicycles are one of the most safe transportational
> > modes. Safer even than being a pedestrian. Motorcycles are
> > one of the least safe, as is being a pedestrian.

Where you see differences I see simliraties: MOTORCYCLES, BICYCLES AND
PEDESTRIANS SHARE BEING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE FOOD CHAIN.

Even though bicycles may not that dangerous, they are perceived as
such, and the authorities don't do much to dismiss those fears. It's
not that I'm that fearful (I even rode last night several miles at 3
o'clock am and I'm still alive) it's just the fear factor is always
there particularly in heavy traffic. But you know the saying: WHAT
DOESN'T KILL YOU, MAKE YOU STRONGER.

donquijote1954 wrote:
> Tom Keats wrote:
> > > Actually, bicycles are one of the most safe transportational
> > > modes. Safer even than being a pedestrian. Motorcycles are
> > > one of the least safe, as is being a pedestrian.

> Where you see differences I see simliraties: MOTORCYCLES, BICYCLES AND
> PEDESTRIANS SHARE BEING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE FOOD CHAIN.
>
> Even though bicycles may not that dangerous, they are perceived as
> such, and the authorities don't do much to dismiss those fears. It's
> not that I'm that fearful (I even rode last night several miles at 3
> o'clock am and I'm still alive) it's just the fear factor is always
> there particularly in heavy traffic. But you know the saying: WHAT
> DOESN'T KILL YOU, MAKE YOU STRONGER.

It sounds like the old anecdote of the guy on a safari who asks his
guide, "Is that lion safe?" Response: "He's safer than you."

MLOM wrote:
> donquijote1954 wrote:

> > Where you see differences I see simliraties: MOTORCYCLES, BICYCLES AND
> > PEDESTRIANS SHARE BEING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE FOOD CHAIN.
> >
> > Even though bicycles may not that dangerous, they are perceived as
> > such, and the authorities don't do much to dismiss those fears. It's
> > not that I'm that fearful (I even rode last night several miles at 3
> > o'clock am and I'm still alive) it's just the fear factor is always
> > there particularly in heavy traffic. But you know the saying: WHAT
> > DOESN'T KILL YOU, MAKE YOU STRONGER.

> It sounds like the old anecdote of the guy on a safari who asks his
> guide, "Is that lion safe?" Response: "He's safer than you."

I see. But I won't feel safe until his paws and teeth are removed. Or
until he publicly renounces to eating meat and becomes a vegetarian.

Though not worthy of another thread the small incident that occurred
last night is illustrative of what's going out there...

I was riding my bike at night with the tail light and all, and all of a
sudden I hear the blast of a horn. It was a young lady --phone-on-ear--
who panicked or was trying to intimidate me out of the way, while the
three-lane road was totally deserted...

This is a sort of terrorism without terrorists, or without a cause for
that matter, just plain simple stupidity and lack of interest on the
part of the traffic authorities and politicians to erradicate this
problem.

But my Quixotic adventures --riding a bike on the road-- will continue.
To be continued (if I survive). Of course, and I will wear my
one-of-a-kind T-shirts, like this...

http://cafepress.com/putsomefun

"My struggle is not against the puppet, but against the puppeteer"