Quite a week

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Mikael Seierup, May 11, 2003.

  1. First a braindead girl going the wrong way on a one-way street beaned me frontally with her bike
    last monday.

    Then today some old geezer forgets to look over his shoulder before turning left across the
    bikepath. Presumably to cross the street. Just my bad luck that I was overtaking him at that precise
    moment. His frontwheel hits my right arm below the elbow and down he goes like a sack of potatoes
    hitting or bouncing of a parked car in the process. Luckily my momentum carried me past him before
    that. And thankfully he was unhurt although his fall looked rather nasty.

    I'll be hiding under the bed. I obviously offended some bikedeity.

    M.

    Tags:

  2. Tony

    Tony Guest

    On Sun, 11 May 2003 17:05:17 +0200, "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'll be hiding under the bed. I obviously offended some bikedeity.

    Legs Larry refers to the P*nct**e Fairy on occasion; perhaps an evil twin? :)

    Regards,

    Tony

  3. "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Then today some old geezer forgets to look over his shoulder before turning left across the
    > bikepath. Presumably to cross the street.

    Me think it's even worse when they look, but see nothing. Happens to me all the time.

    I might have to repaint the bike in a less stealthish color (It's Fiat Yellow BTW - Ferrari Yel. on
    a good day ;-)

    Torben

  4. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    I saw two big car crashes within five minutes this morning. First I heard, then saw in mirror, then
    saw the the tail end when I turned to look. Idiot in SUV ran red light (as they all do here, all the
    time) and ran into other idiot in SUV, who thinks green means go (here, it means stop and wait for
    red-light runners to get out of the way).

    T-boned him at about 40 mph, knocking car out of way, flew through street, into sign, over sign, up
    curb, into parking lot, across parking lot into brick building. I was a block away and glad to have
    been 30 seconds ahead of this idiocy, as I'd be dead if I had been there.

    A few blocks later, same thing -- Idiot driving. SUV decides that yielding right-of-way in order to
    make a left-hand turn is for sissies, or people with smaller cars. SUV jockey whips a left, but his
    tank ain't as fast as he thinks, and a long disco two-door flies right into him. I was glad to be 30
    seconds ahead of that scene too.

    Watch yourselves folks.

    sj

  5. what are the odds eh Wouldn't it be great if SUVs had some manufacturing flaw that after x # of
    miles they would home in on one another and wipe themselves out. Imagine Ford trying to squirm out
    of that one? Oh Well, yes the tires on our newer SUVs don't peel off, but the SUVs do appear to aim
    for other SUVs at high speed.LOL
    --------------------------
    "Seth Jayson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I saw two big car crashes within five minutes this morning. First I heard, then saw in mirror,
    > then saw the the tail end when I turned to look. Idiot in SUV ran red light (as they all do here,
    > all the time) and ran into other idiot in SUV, who thinks green means go (here, it means stop and
    > wait for red-light runners to get out of the way).
    >
    > T-boned him at about 40 mph, knocking car out of way, flew through street, into sign, over sign,
    > up curb, into parking lot, across parking lot into brick building. I was a block away and glad to
    > have been 30 seconds ahead of this idiocy, as I'd be dead if I had been there.
    >
    > A few blocks later, same thing -- Idiot driving. SUV decides that yielding right-of-way in order
    > to make a left-hand turn is for sissies, or people with smaller cars. SUV jockey whips a left, but
    > his tank ain't as fast as he thinks, and a long disco two-door flies right into him. I was glad to
    > be 30 seconds ahead of that scene too.
    >
    > Watch yourselves folks.
    >
    > sj

  6. Jerry Rhodes

    Jerry Rhodes Guest

    [email protected] (Seth Jayson) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > other idiot in SUV, who thinks green means go (here, it means stop and wait for red-light runners
    > to get out of the way).

    Sounds like you live in Houston.

    Jerry (Honorary Houston Crazy)

  7. Bentrider

    Bentrider Guest

    >I might have to repaint the bike in a less stealthish color (It's Fiat Yellow BTW - Ferrari Yel. on
    >a good day ;-)

    I believe that Ferrari calls it Fly Yellow.

    Bryan J. Ball Editor, www.bentrider.com (and closet Ferrari fan)

  8. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    > Sounds like you live in Houston.

    I live in a workin' class suburb of Chicago, southwest SY-Eeeed.

    My ride goes from trailer-park truck drivers (most dangerous) to blue-haired Polish ladies
    neighborhood (less angry, but unpredictable) through a crazy Latino street scene (least hostility,
    predictable crazy driving behavior) a bombed-out projects area (spooky. very few cars) and then just
    regular packed traffic on wide roads (makes yer hair stand on end)

  9. "'BentRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I believe that Ferrari calls it Fly Yellow.

    I can't imagine that. My logic elf tells me it'd be an italian name ;-)

    Fab, can you help out here? Oops, sorry. Offcourse you can't. Ferrari's don't do hills, right?

    Torben

  10. 'BentRider wrote:

    > I believe that Ferrari calls it Fly Yellow.

    They do. Or rather "Giallo Fly".

    Dave Larrington for and on behalf of the Walthamstow Tifosi

  11. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    > > I believe that Ferrari calls it Fly Yellow.
    >
    > I can't imagine that. My logic elf tells me it'd be an italian name ;-)

    Then it ought to be either _giallamosca_ or _moscagialla_, or something like that.

  12. "Seth Jayson" skrev...
    > > > I believe that Ferrari calls it Fly Yellow.
    > >
    > > I can't imagine that. My logic elf tells me it'd be an italian name ;-)
    >
    > Then it ought to be either _giallamosca_ or _moscagialla_, or something like that.

    Mozarella yeller?

  13. Bentrider

    Bentrider Guest

    Yes, what he said. American Ferrari dealers translate it to Fly Yellow.

    On Tue, 13 May 2003 12:18:46 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >'BentRider wrote:
    >
    >> I believe that Ferrari calls it Fly Yellow.
    >
    >They do. Or rather "Giallo Fly".
    >
    >Dave Larrington for and on behalf of the Walthamstow Tifosi

  14. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Seth Jayson wrote:

    > ... Idiot in SUV...