Quite brilliant

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Feb 6, 2003.

  1. A wonderful *positive* step for cycling,

    From the CTC web site - and I hope it is successful. More power to those involved for making
    the effort!

    Cheers, helen s

    "Cyclists offer help to blighted Tube users February 4 2003

    Tower Hamlets Wheelers and Redbridge London Cycling Campaign are offering a bicycling bus service
    for tube users affected by Central Line suspension.

    From Monday February 10 the groups will guide tube users swapping overcrowding and prolonged
    journeys for a quick and easy ground level alternative by cycle.

    Their convey, led by experienced cyclists, will follow the Central Line route, using mainly quiet
    back streets.

    On Monday 10th and Tuesday 11th February, Redbridge LCC will start from Wanstead tube at 7:55am,
    reaching Mile End at 8:20am to join the Tower Hamlets Wheelers convoy which will reach Marble Arch
    by 9:10am, where there are shower facilities for £1 at a leisure centre.

    For the rest of the week the Wheelers will start the convoy from Mile End at
    8:20am.

    Return accompanied journeys are also available on request and the journey into town can be arranged
    to suit timings of people wishing to join, if they contact the Wheelers in advance.

    People wishing to join in can contact [email protected] or call 07799 537 504.

    The Wheelers are handing out leaflets to Tube users at Mile End where the District Line is even more
    crowded than usual as people use it instead of the Central Line.

    Ends

    For more information contact Alix Stredwick 07903 606 330 (home: 020 8880
    9)

    Notes for editors

    The Tower Hamlets Wheelers is the local cycle action group in the east London Borough of Tower
    Hamlets, campaigning for better cycling facilities and encouraging more people to cycle ­ for
    health, the environment and for London. The Wheelers are affiliated to the London Cycling Campaign,
    the largest urban cycling campaign in the world.

    Tower Hamlets Wheelers 34 Vermeer Court Rembrandt Close London E14 3XA 020 7515 9905
    [email protected] http://www.towerhamletswheelers.org.uk "

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. Paul - XXX

    Paul - XXX Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter deftly scribbled ;

    > A wonderful *positive* step for cycling,

    <snip>

    > The Tower Hamlets Wheelers is the local cycle action group in the east London Borough of Tower
    > Hamlets, campaigning for better cycling facilities and encouraging more people to cycle ­ for
    > health, the environment and for London. The Wheelers are affiliated to the London Cycling
    > Campaign, the largest urban cycling campaign in the world.
    >
    > Tower Hamlets Wheelers 34 Vermeer Court Rembrandt Close London E14 3XA 020 7515 9905
    > [email protected] http://www.towerhamletswheelers.org.uk "

    That's a brilliant idea. Wonder why it hasn't been thought of before. I hope they get enough
    'commuters' to take the convoy idea up. ;)

    --
    ...................................Paul-xxx Seti 1391 wu in 9942 hours
    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  3. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Paul - xxx wrote:

    > That's a brilliant idea. Wonder why it hasn't been thought of before. I hope they get enough
    > 'commuters' to take the convoy idea up. ;)

    I can see it being a good publicity stunt and hopefully it will tempt a few to consider starting to
    cycle, but of course one of the biggest benefits of cycling (*) is that you don't have to follow
    someone else's route, at their own time and pace. It sounds to me like all the disadvantages of PT
    with none of the benefits.

    James

  4. Paul - XXX

    Paul - XXX Guest

    James Annan deftly scribbled ;

    > Paul - xxx wrote:
    >
    >> That's a brilliant idea. Wonder why it hasn't been thought of before. I hope they get enough
    >> 'commuters' to take the convoy idea up. ;)
    >
    > I can see it being a good publicity stunt and hopefully it will tempt a few to consider starting
    > to cycle, but of course one of the biggest benefits of cycling (*) is that you don't have to
    > follow someone else's route, at their own time and pace. It sounds to me like all the
    > disadvantages of PT with none of the benefits.

    Since I don't live in London I can't say for sure, but it's my experience, gained when visiting
    friends for a week or so, that the 'general public' are mortally afraid of cycling in the
    congestion. An initiative like this, I imagine, would bolster peoples confidence enough to get them
    hopefully making their own routes to work.

    Most people seem to need a small push to get them going, this sort of thing could just do it.

    --
    ...................................Paul-xxx Seti 1399 wu in 10037 hours
    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  5. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    James Annan wrote:

    > I can see it being a good publicity stunt and hopefully it will tempt a few to consider starting
    > to cycle, but of course one of the biggest benefits of cycling (*) is that you don't have to
    > follow someone else's route, at their own time and pace.

    Well, maybe, but you could make the same argument about learning to drive with an instructor who
    takes you in their car where they say. The point seems to be that once you know what you're doing
    after some help, then you don't need the help any more.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

    > Well, if I lived in the smoke and I was tempted to try a cycling commute, I'd feel much happier
    > about giving it a go if there was an expereinced cyclist leading the way

    This is the reason for Bike Buddy schemes. Start planning now for Bike Week - whose Bike Buddy will
    you be, folks? I have my eye on someone who lives not too far from me and works in the same office.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  7. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "David Pipes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I'd have to get up, go downstairs, out to the garage, get out bike, get on bike, find energy to
    > pedal bike, return home, replace bike in garage, go upstairs to my office which is next to my
    > bedroom - hardly seems worth it!

    My wife has commented on the peculiar way it's a 13 mile cycle to get to work when the desk is in my
    bedroom...

    (return journey is only 8).

    cheers, clive