Quite brilliant

Wafflycathcsdir

Guest
A wonderful *positive* step for cycling,

From the CTC web site - and I hope it is successful. More power to those involved for making
the effort!

Cheers, helen s

"Cyclists offer help to blighted Tube users February 4 2003

Tower Hamlets Wheelers and Redbridge London Cycling Campaign are offering a bicycling bus service
for tube users affected by Central Line suspension.

From Monday February 10 the groups will guide tube users swapping overcrowding and prolonged
journeys for a quick and easy ground level alternative by cycle.

Their convey, led by experienced cyclists, will follow the Central Line route, using mainly quiet
back streets.

On Monday 10th and Tuesday 11th February, Redbridge LCC will start from Wanstead tube at 7:55am,
reaching Mile End at 8:20am to join the Tower Hamlets Wheelers convoy which will reach Marble Arch
by 9:10am, where there are shower facilities for £1 at a leisure centre.

For the rest of the week the Wheelers will start the convoy from Mile End at
8:20am.

Return accompanied journeys are also available on request and the journey into town can be arranged
to suit timings of people wishing to join, if they contact the Wheelers in advance.

People wishing to join in can contact [email protected] or call 07799 537 504.

The Wheelers are handing out leaflets to Tube users at Mile End where the District Line is even more
crowded than usual as people use it instead of the Central Line.

Ends

For more information contact Alix Stredwick 07903 606 330 (home: 020 8880
9)

Notes for editors

The Tower Hamlets Wheelers is the local cycle action group in the east London Borough of Tower
Hamlets, campaigning for better cycling facilities and encouraging more people to cycle ­ for
health, the environment and for London. The Wheelers are affiliated to the London Cycling Campaign,
the largest urban cycling campaign in the world.

Tower Hamlets Wheelers 34 Vermeer Court Rembrandt Close London E14 3XA 020 7515 9905
[email protected] http://www.towerhamletswheelers.org.uk "

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter deftly scribbled ;

> A wonderful *positive* step for cycling,

<snip>

> The Tower Hamlets Wheelers is the local cycle action group in the east London Borough of Tower
> Hamlets, campaigning for better cycling facilities and encouraging more people to cycle ­ for
> health, the environment and for London. The Wheelers are affiliated to the London Cycling
> Campaign, the largest urban cycling campaign in the world.
>
> Tower Hamlets Wheelers 34 Vermeer Court Rembrandt Close London E14 3XA 020 7515 9905
> [email protected] http://www.towerhamletswheelers.org.uk "

That's a brilliant idea. Wonder why it hasn't been thought of before. I hope they get enough
'commuters' to take the convoy idea up. ;)

--
...................................Paul-*** Seti 1391 wu in 9942 hours
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Paul - *** wrote:

> That's a brilliant idea. Wonder why it hasn't been thought of before. I hope they get enough
> 'commuters' to take the convoy idea up. ;)

I can see it being a good publicity stunt and hopefully it will tempt a few to consider starting to
cycle, but of course one of the biggest benefits of cycling (*) is that you don't have to follow
someone else's route, at their own time and pace. It sounds to me like all the disadvantages of PT
with none of the benefits.

James

James Annan deftly scribbled ;

> Paul - *** wrote:
>
>> That's a brilliant idea. Wonder why it hasn't been thought of before. I hope they get enough
>> 'commuters' to take the convoy idea up. ;)
>
> I can see it being a good publicity stunt and hopefully it will tempt a few to consider starting
> to cycle, but of course one of the biggest benefits of cycling (*) is that you don't have to
> follow someone else's route, at their own time and pace. It sounds to me like all the
> disadvantages of PT with none of the benefits.

Since I don't live in London I can't say for sure, but it's my experience, gained when visiting
friends for a week or so, that the 'general public' are mortally afraid of cycling in the
congestion. An initiative like this, I imagine, would bolster peoples confidence enough to get them
hopefully making their own routes to work.

Most people seem to need a small push to get them going, this sort of thing could just do it.

--
...................................Paul-*** Seti 1399 wu in 10037 hours

James Annan wrote:

> I can see it being a good publicity stunt and hopefully it will tempt a few to consider starting
> to cycle, but of course one of the biggest benefits of cycling (*) is that you don't have to
> follow someone else's route, at their own time and pace.

Well, maybe, but you could make the same argument about learning to drive with an instructor who
takes you in their car where they say. The point seems to be that once you know what you're doing
after some help, then you don't need the help any more.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

> Well, if I lived in the smoke and I was tempted to try a cycling commute, I'd feel much happier
> about giving it a go if there was an expereinced cyclist leading the way

This is the reason for Bike Buddy schemes. Start planning now for Bike Week - whose Bike Buddy will
you be, folks? I have my eye on someone who lives not too far from me and works in the same office.

--
Guy
===

"David Pipes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'd have to get up, go downstairs, out to the garage, get out bike, get on bike, find energy to
> pedal bike, return home, replace bike in garage, go upstairs to my office which is next to my
> bedroom - hardly seems worth it!

My wife has commented on the peculiar way it's a 13 mile cycle to get to work when the desk is in my
bedroom...

(return journey is only 8).

cheers, clive