Quito, Ecuador and South America

melvinloyello

Aug 12, 2004
i am going to be in quito, ecuador for ten weeks beginning in jan 2005. want to know if anyone has ever been. the altitude and hills don't bother me but crazy ass taxis and busses do.
any information on cycling in Quito, Ecuador or south america in general would be appreciated.
thanks in advance,
mel

I've been there, but have never cycled there. I never had problems as a pedestrian there. Traffic seemed less crazed than other Latin cities. Nice city, reminds me somehow of Denver. If you have altitude problems, get a prescription of Diamox before you go. It will help bridge you over until you acclimate.

melvinloyello said:
i am going to be in quito, ecuador for ten weeks beginning in jan 2005. want to know if anyone has ever been. the altitude and hills don't bother me but crazy ass taxis and busses do.
any information on cycling in Quito, Ecuador or south america in general would be appreciated.
thanks in advance,
mel

thanks for the info. altitude shouldn't be a problem. i lived in breckenridge, co for a couple of years and acclimated fine. just the traffic that concerns me.

anyone else?