Quiznos Subs

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dee Randall, Feb 13, 2006.

  1. Naomi

    Naomi Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    I wonder what their reputation is for treating their franchisees. They
    started out strong in my area,a little expensive but not a terrible
    value, and then started putting less and less fillings in the
    sandwiches. The guy who owns the one near me seems nice but I get the
    feeling he's desperate.

  2. salgud

    salgud Guest

    ntantiques wrote:
    > Dee Randall wrote:
    > > There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many a
    > > year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not changed.
    > > I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
    > > different than Subway.
    > > Thanks,
    > > Dee Dee

    > The one and only time I tried Quiznos I ended up worshipping the
    > porcelain god for 2 days. Major food poisoning. Never again. Bought
    > the sub at the drive thru window during a "non-peak" time of day. As I
    > contemplated my demise, it occurred to me that the "hot" sub had
    > probably been a leftover pre-fab from lunch. Still get queasy when I
    > see one of their ads.
    >
    > Nancy T

    Strange. Every sandwich I ever had there was made to order. Can't blame
    you for not wanting to try it again. Yuk!

  3. kilikini wrote:
    > "Knit Chic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for

    > many
    >
    >>>a year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not
    >>>changed.
    >>>I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
    >>>different than Subway.
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Dee Dee

    >>IMO they are spendy for what you get. What you get is pretty average.
    >>good luck.
    >>

    > I agree! $8.50 for a sub that looks smaller than the 6" subway? Uh uh. I
    > went three times (because "they" say you have to give a place three times
    > before you call it done) and one time Quiznos was even out of cheese! I've
    > ordered soup, salad and subs there just to be fair and it's just NOT worth
    > it.
    >
    > kili

    I do like their "Bob" commercials though.

    George

  4. "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> writes:

    >There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many a
    >year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not changed.
    >I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
    >different than Subway.

    I really like Quiznos for fast food. They are expensive but their
    ingredients are decent and I love the bread. They toast their subs
    which is the main difference from Subway, and I think their meat is
    better and fresher. I detest Subway and will never go back to one --
    here in town, they use sliced bargain basement lunchmeat and undercooked
    bread. The only other sammich place in town is Panera and I didn't like
    it, either. Quiznos is my favorite, which probably puts me in the
    minority.
    I've never had Quiznos salads or soups, however, and never their beef
    sandwiches. Just the chicken ones.

    Stacia

  5. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Glitter Ninja wrote:

    > I really like Quiznos for fast food. They are expensive but their
    > ingredients are decent and I love the bread. They toast their subs
    > which is the main difference from Subway, and I think their meat is
    > better and fresher. I detest Subway and will never go back to one --
    > here in town, they use sliced bargain basement lunchmeat and undercooked
    > bread. The only other sammich place in town is Panera and I didn't like
    > it, either. Quiznos is my favorite, which probably puts me in the
    > minority.
    > I've never had Quiznos salads or soups, however, and never their beef
    > sandwiches. Just the chicken ones.

    We have a soup and sandwich chain here called Atlanta Bread Company. It
    serves imaginative sandwiches (no subs, but great breads) and very good
    soups. They are always packed. A Panera is opening up across the street.
    I wonder if they'll give them a run for their money?? I've never eaten
    at one before.

  6. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Goomba38" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Glitter Ninja wrote:
    >
    >> I really like Quiznos for fast food. They are expensive but their
    >> ingredients are decent and I love the bread. They toast their subs
    >> which is the main difference from Subway, and I think their meat is
    >> better and fresher. I detest Subway and will never go back to one --
    >> here in town, they use sliced bargain basement lunchmeat and undercooked
    >> bread. The only other sammich place in town is Panera and I didn't like
    >> it, either. Quiznos is my favorite, which probably puts me in the
    >> minority.
    >> I've never had Quiznos salads or soups, however, and never their beef
    >> sandwiches. Just the chicken ones.

    > We have a soup and sandwich chain here called Atlanta Bread Company. It
    > serves imaginative sandwiches (no subs, but great breads) and very good
    > soups. They are always packed. A Panera is opening up across the street. I
    > wonder if they'll give them a run for their money?? I've never eaten at
    > one before.

    We stop at Atlanta Bread Company and Panera along the way from VA to CT.
    (There is only one Atlanta Bread.) The Atlanta Bread is a large room with
    tables; really no atmosphere compared to the Panera's. However, for the
    money, I'll take Panera's everytime. I think Panera's quality is better
    than the one Atlanta Bread; but there is some variation in the Panera's.
    Specifically the one in Harrisonburg, VA (50 miles south of where I live)
    gives about 1/2 of the amount of food that the others do. :-((
    One difference between the two for me -- I feel like I've had some fun when
    I go to Panera's. When I go to Atlanta Bread, I just feel like I've filled a
    void.
    Dee Dee

  7. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Dee Randall wrote:

    > There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many a
    > year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not changed.
    > I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
    > different than Subway.
    > Thanks,
    > Dee Dee

    We went to one local Quiznos at a mall. Sandwich was thin, quite flat
    and barely warm. Nothing like the posh fat sandwiches shown in their
    telly ads. Vastly overpriced as well.

  8. "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email protected]:

    > There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for
    > many a year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has
    > not changed. I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if
    > it is much different than Subway.
    > Thanks,
    > Dee Dee

    I can't say a lot about their subs. If you like a lot of freebie chile
    peppers and stuff and decent bread the place is okay. I've always gotten a
    philly thing but been disappointed with it.

    Michael

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

  9. "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many
    > a year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not
    > changed.
    > I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
    > different than Subway.
    > Thanks,
    > Dee Dee

    Neither is rally all that good, but Subway improved (at least IMO) when they
    started to offer a toasted sandwich to compete with Quiznos.

  10. Default User

    Default User Guest

    alsandor wrote:

    > Default User a écrit :
    >
    > > For subs in STL, I prefer to go the Amighetti's franchise at Village
    > > Square (I know this means nothing to 99% of you).

    > Probably, more accurately, 99,9%.

    Doubt it's quite that high. That would mean that only 1 in 1000 would
    know. There are at least three St. Louis residents that I know of among
    the active participants in the group, who probably know what I mean. We
    don't have much more than a few hundred actives, I'd say. Now, with a
    small data set it's trickier to extrapolate to the pure lurkers, but
    I'm confident that it wouldn't change the numbers much.

    Brian

    won't shut up.

  11. PastaLover

    PastaLover Guest

    Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
    > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many
    >>a year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not
    >>changed.
    >>I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
    >>different than Subway.
    >>Thanks,
    >>Dee Dee

    > Neither is rally all that good, but Subway improved (at least IMO) when they
    > started to offer a toasted sandwich to compete with Quiznos.

    Quiznos was really good when they were a small chain around the Denver
    area. When they went national, something changed. Same thing with Boston
    Chicken (later Boston Market)--when they first started in the Boston
    suburbs, they were really good. Almost like homemade dinner that Grandma
    used to make. Then they went national and something changed.

  12. George

    George Guest

    Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
    > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many
    >>a year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not
    >>changed.
    >>I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
    >>different than Subway.
    >>Thanks,
    >>Dee Dee

    > Neither is rally all that good, but Subway improved (at least IMO) when they
    > started to offer a toasted sandwich to compete with Quiznos.

    Unfortunately all of the advertising makes people think that those two
    places are the *only* place you could possibly get a sub (maybe they
    even invented them too).

    Just like pizza the best subs are always at the local mom & pop joints.
    As far as toasted subs being a Quiznos idea one local place has been
    toasting subs on request for at least the past 25 years.

  13. salgud

    salgud Guest

    George wrote:
    > Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
    > > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > >>There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many
    > >>a year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not
    > >>changed.
    > >>I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
    > >>different than Subway.
    > >>Thanks,
    > >>Dee Dee

    > > Neither is rally all that good, but Subway improved (at least IMO) when they
    > > started to offer a toasted sandwich to compete with Quiznos.
    > >

    > Unfortunately all of the advertising makes people think that those two
    > places are the *only* place you could possibly get a sub (maybe they
    > even invented them too).
    >
    > Just like pizza the best subs are always at the local mom & pop joints.
    > As far as toasted subs being a Quiznos idea one local place has been
    > toasting subs on request for at least the past 25 years.

    Did someone say that Quizno's invented the hot sub? I don't remember
    reading that, must be getting old.
    I agree that many local mom & pop sub shops make a better sub than
    Quizno's. Unfortunately, I live in Denver, Co, and I have yet to find
    one of those. Compared to the alternatives, Quizno's is pretty good.
    Someone above mentioned trying their Philly Cheese Steak and being
    dissappointed. Me too. Their Italian and some of their own inventions
    are much better.
    As for the Bob commercials, they make me want to go to some other
    sandwich place, just to let them know how stupid I think those
    commericials are. I think the first "talkie" had a talking baby in it.
    There have been so many movies/tv shows/commercials with talking babies
    over the years, not a good one yet. Pathetic, at best!

  14. Jude

    Jude Guest

    salgud wrote:

    > Did someone say that Quizno's invented the hot sub? I don't remember
    > reading that, must be getting old.
    > I agree that many local mom & pop sub shops make a better sub than
    > Quizno's. Unfortunately, I live in Denver, Co, and I have yet to find
    > one of those. Compared to the alternatives, Quizno's is pretty good.
    > Someone above mentioned trying their Philly Cheese Steak and being
    > dissappointed. Me too. Their Italian and some of their own inventions
    > are much better.

    Oh, I've got a great hole-in-the-wall in Denver I'd like to point you
    to. My memory of where it is is a little hazy but maybe I can get you
    there........let's see, it's called dayight Donuts, and it's off of
    I-70 in Golden. There's an exit where I always stay when I come into
    town for shows at Red Rocks.......there's a Sleep Inn and a fairfield
    Inn and a steakhouse, all together, plus what used to be an IHOP but is
    something else now. Right next to that is a little shopping center with
    the Donut place i it; They have WONDERFUL middle eastern food----
    felafel, babaghnoush, lentil soup, gyros - and the feta cheese is
    handmade by the owner's wife! Great donuts, too.

    Our joke is that we call it All Quaida Donuts, becasue last time we
    were there (last summer), we went in two dys in a row. First day the
    guy (Arab guy) was really friendly, etc. Second day, we came in and
    yelled into the back, "See? Toldya we'd be back again today!" He
    laughed and said he'd be right with us.....well, while we waited, we
    listened to the Middle Eastern music he was playing, and our eye was
    caught by his computer. He was watching Al-Jezeira (sp?) network! As
    soon as he came into the room and noticed us staring at his monitor,
    off went the music, off went the computer, on went the radio of
    American pop hits. While we were eating, 3 Midlle Eastern guys came in
    and they all huddled and whispered in the corner, pointedly looking
    over their shoulder at us as we ate..........we weren't sure if many
    folks like us come through their shop.

    But to this day, it's the best Feta cheese I've ever eaten!

    ps, not in any way trying to racial profile I hope the humor of the
    situation came through. It was definitely weird, though!

  15. George

    George Guest

    salgud wrote:
    > George wrote:
    >
    >>Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]

    >>>Neither is rally all that good, but Subway improved (at least IMO) when they
    >>>started to offer a toasted sandwich to compete with Quiznos.
    >>>

    >>Unfortunately all of the advertising makes people think that those two
    >>places are the *only* place you could possibly get a sub (maybe they
    >>even invented them too).
    >>
    >>Just like pizza the best subs are always at the local mom & pop joints.
    >>As far as toasted subs being a Quiznos idea one local place has been
    >>toasting subs on request for at least the past 25 years.

    > Did someone say that Quizno's invented the hot sub? I don't remember
    > reading that, must be getting old.

    Thats the inference I get from the marketing "we are the best and look
    at this great toasting idea we have..."

    > I agree that many local mom & pop sub shops make a better sub than
    > Quizno's. Unfortunately, I live in Denver, Co, and I have yet to find
    > one of those.

    Look harder, there has to be one. In my area there are at least six
    really good ones and you find them by asking around or asking someone
    where they got that great (looking and smelling) sub they are eating.
    And if you want a real treat and are in an area with an Asian population
    look for a banh mi shop. They are a Vietnamese "sub" with interesting
    ingredients and just happen to be toasted.

    Compared to the alternatives, Quizno's is pretty good.
    > Someone above mentioned trying their Philly Cheese Steak and being
    > dissappointed. Me too. Their Italian and some of their own inventions
    > are much better.
    > As for the Bob commercials, they make me want to go to some other
    > sandwich place, just to let them know how stupid I think those
    > commericials are. I think the first "talkie" had a talking baby in it.
    > There have been so many movies/tv shows/commercials with talking babies
    > over the years, not a good one yet. Pathetic, at best!

  16. salgud

    salgud Guest

    Jude wrote:
    > salgud wrote:
    >

    > > Did someone say that Quizno's invented the hot sub? I don't remember
    > > reading that, must be getting old.
    > > I agree that many local mom & pop sub shops make a better sub than
    > > Quizno's. Unfortunately, I live in Denver, Co, and I have yet to find
    > > one of those. Compared to the alternatives, Quizno's is pretty good.
    > > Someone above mentioned trying their Philly Cheese Steak and being
    > > dissappointed. Me too. Their Italian and some of their own inventions
    > > are much better.

    > Oh, I've got a great hole-in-the-wall in Denver I'd like to point you
    > to. My memory of where it is is a little hazy but maybe I can get you
    > there........let's see, it's called dayight Donuts, and it's off of
    > I-70 in Golden. There's an exit where I always stay when I come into
    > town for shows at Red Rocks.......there's a Sleep Inn and a fairfield
    > Inn and a steakhouse, all together, plus what used to be an IHOP but is
    > something else now. Right next to that is a little shopping center with
    > the Donut place i it; They have WONDERFUL middle eastern food----
    > felafel, babaghnoush, lentil soup, gyros - and the feta cheese is
    > handmade by the owner's wife! Great donuts, too.
    >
    > Our joke is that we call it All Quaida Donuts, becasue last time we
    > were there (last summer), we went in two dys in a row. First day the
    > guy (Arab guy) was really friendly, etc. Second day, we came in and
    > yelled into the back, "See? Toldya we'd be back again today!" He
    > laughed and said he'd be right with us.....well, while we waited, we
    > listened to the Middle Eastern music he was playing, and our eye was
    > caught by his computer. He was watching Al-Jezeira (sp?) network! As
    > soon as he came into the room and noticed us staring at his monitor,
    > off went the music, off went the computer, on went the radio of
    > American pop hits. While we were eating, 3 Midlle Eastern guys came in
    > and they all huddled and whispered in the corner, pointedly looking
    > over their shoulder at us as we ate..........we weren't sure if many
    > folks like us come through their shop.
    >
    > But to this day, it's the best Feta cheese I've ever eaten!
    >
    > ps, not in any way trying to racial profile I hope the humor of the
    > situation came through. It was definitely weird, though!

    Thanks! If I get out that way, I'll go look for it.

  17. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On 14 Feb 2006 06:40:26 -0800, "salgud" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I agree that many local mom & pop sub shops make a better sub than
    >Quizno's. Unfortunately, I live in Denver, Co, and I have yet to find
    >one of those. Compared to the alternatives, Quizno's is pretty good.
    >Someone above mentioned trying their Philly Cheese Steak and being
    >dissappointed. Me too. Their Italian and some of their own inventions
    >are much better.

    What I like about Quiznos (and Subway or Blimpie) is that their
    "small" vegetarian is precisely what I want. I don't want meat or a
    lot of melted cheese or lots of chewy bread, just fresh vegetables on
    a soft roll. I don't see how a mom & pop sub shop (if I knew where
    one was) could improve on it. So for me, Quiznos is juuuust right :)

    Sue(tm)

  18. salgud

    salgud Guest

    George wrote:
    > salgud wrote:
    > > George wrote:

    > >>Unfortunately all of the advertising makes people think that those two
    > >>places are the *only* place you could possibly get a sub (maybe they
    > >>even invented them too).
    > >>
    > >>Just like pizza the best subs are always at the local mom & pop joints.
    > >>As far as toasted subs being a Quiznos idea one local place has been
    > >>toasting subs on request for at least the past 25 years.

    > > Did someone say that Quizno's invented the hot sub? I don't remember
    > > reading that, must be getting old.

    > Thats the inference I get from the marketing "we are the best and look
    > at this great toasting idea we have..."
    >

    > > I agree that many local mom & pop sub shops make a better sub than
    > > Quizno's. Unfortunately, I live in Denver, Co, and I have yet to find
    > > one of those.

    > Look harder, there has to be one. In my area there are at least six
    > really good ones and you find them by asking around or asking someone
    > where they got that great (looking and smelling) sub they are eating.
    > And if you want a real treat and are in an area with an Asian population
    > look for a banh mi shop. They are a Vietnamese "sub" with interesting
    > ingredients and just happen to be toasted.

    I'll drop everything, including my son's wedding, and get right on it!
    :)
    I've heard of one in S Denver, but I rarely go anywhere near that part
    of town. I know they exist, but haven't found one anywhere close to
    where I travel.
    As for the Asian sandwich, sounds delicious, and the next time I'm over
    in that part of town, and have some time, I'll ask around. Of course,
    it might be 5 yrs before that happens!
    As for "asking around", part of the problem here, is that, like in this
    NG, I don't know many people here in Denver that know what a good sub
    sandwich is. Most of them, like the posters here, think Subway is just
    great. They don't want "chewy" bread. They've never had a "good sub"
    like you get back east, and grew up on Wonder Bread. Actually, I grew
    up on Wonder Bread, but have learned to appreciate real bread and won't
    touch American white bread with a ten foot pole. To me, it can't be a
    "good sub" without some good bread, and then the other ingredients
    follow from there. Good bread is very rare here. Suprisingly, the best
    European style bread I can get here is at Safeway's bakery! And I can
    get American style good bread and Great Harvest. Thanks goodness. But
    subs made with that kind of bread, hard to find. I can't remember
    seeing a real Hoagie roll anywhere.
    OTOH, we get 300 days a yr of sunshine!

  19. "salgud" <[email protected]> writes:

    >Did someone say that Quizno's invented the hot sub? I don't remember
    >reading that, must be getting old.

    The cups at Quiznos have some sort of little blurb which does indeed
    sound like they are trying to claim they invented the toasted sub.

    >I agree that many local mom & pop sub shops make a better sub than
    >Quizno's. Unfortunately, I live in Denver, Co, and I have yet to find
    >one of those.

    I live in a small town myself and mom and pop sub places don't exist.
    There aren't many non-chain restaurants at all -- two Mexican places,
    one Thai, and one very high end wine bar. So for me, I'm pleased with
    our Quiznos, but if I was in a more urban area, I'd search out something
    better.

    Stacia

  20. George

    George Guest

    salgud wrote:

    >>>I agree that many local mom & pop sub shops make a better sub than
    >>>Quizno's. Unfortunately, I live in Denver, Co, and I have yet to find
    >>>one of those.

    >>Look harder, there has to be one. In my area there are at least six
    >>really good ones and you find them by asking around or asking someone
    >>where they got that great (looking and smelling) sub they are eating.
    >>And if you want a real treat and are in an area with an Asian population
    >>look for a banh mi shop. They are a Vietnamese "sub" with interesting
    >>ingredients and just happen to be toasted.

    > I'll drop everything, including my son's wedding, and get right on it!
    > :)

    OK, got to address the important stuff first..

    > I've heard of one in S Denver, but I rarely go anywhere near that part
    > of town. I know they exist, but haven't found one anywhere close to
    > where I travel.
    > As for the Asian sandwich, sounds delicious, and the next time I'm over
    > in that part of town, and have some time, I'll ask around. Of course,
    > it might be 5 yrs before that happens!
    > As for "asking around", part of the problem here, is that, like in this
    > NG, I don't know many people here in Denver that know what a good sub
    > sandwich is. Most of them, like the posters here, think Subway is just
    > great. They don't want "chewy" bread. They've never had a "good sub"
    > like you get back east, and grew up on Wonder Bread. Actually, I grew
    > up on Wonder Bread, but have learned to appreciate real bread and won't
    > touch American white bread with a ten foot pole. To me, it can't be a
    > "good sub" without some good bread, and then the other ingredients
    > follow from there. Good bread is very rare here. Suprisingly, the best
    > European style bread I can get here is at Safeway's bakery! And I can
    > get American style good bread and Great Harvest. Thanks goodness. But
    > subs made with that kind of bread, hard to find. I can't remember
    > seeing a real Hoagie roll anywhere.
    > OTOH, we get 300 days a yr of sunshine!

    I think a few weeks of snow and cold is better than having only
    industrial food.

    I agree about the wonder bread. A good sub needs a good roll that is a
    little crispy and has real texture. Most of the real sub places in my
    area use rolls made by a great local Italian bakery.

    Sometimes your nose will hope you find real subs. I was working at a
    location where I don't really know the area. There was the unmistakable
    aroma of a really good sub coming from the break room across the hall. I
    went over and asked and it turns out there was a mom & pop sub shop two
    blocks away.