quotables

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Barry Gaudet, May 25, 2003.

  1. Barry Gaudet

    Barry Gaudet Guest

    Two accidents in one day might not be a lot in big cities but around here I rarely see one reported
    accident in a week.

    At least the drivers were caught and held accountable. I suspect many such accidents go unreported
    or the driver unidentifed.

    The Guelph Tribune, 23/5/3 [A bad day for cyclists] or [why I loathe autos]

    Police Blotter.

    'A 49-year-old man suffered minor injuries when he was hit by a van May 20. The cyclist was
    westbound on Willow Road when he was hit at the intersection of Applewood Crescent by a van driven
    by a 67-year-old man turning left on to Willow at 4:42 p.m. A Highway Traffic Act charge is pending
    against the van driver. [...] 'A cyclist suffered minor injuries after being hit by a car May 20.
    The 23-year-old cyclist was headed south on Gordon Street at 1 p.m. when he collided with a
    northbound car driven by a 74-year-old woman as she turned left on to Waterloo Avenue. A Highway
    Traffic Act charge is pending against the car driver.'

    --
    'They paved paradise And put up a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell

    Tags:

  2. Grl

    Grl Guest

    Two examples of why (in traffic) daytime running lights for bicycles are a very good idea.

    --

    - GRL

    "It's good to want things."

    Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic programmer)
    "Barry Gaudet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Two accidents in one day might not be a lot in big cities but around here I rarely see one
    > reported accident in a week.
    >
    > At least the drivers were caught and held accountable. I suspect many such accidents go
    > unreported or the driver unidentifed.
    >
    > The Guelph Tribune, 23/5/3 [A bad day for cyclists] or [why I loathe
    autos]

    > Police Blotter.
    >
    > 'A 49-year-old man suffered minor injuries when he was hit by a van May
    20.
    > The cyclist was westbound on Willow Road when he was hit at the intersection of Applewood Crescent
    > by a van driven by a 67-year-old man turning left on to Willow at 4:42 p.m. A Highway Traffic Act
    > charge is pending against the van driver. [...] 'A cyclist suffered minor injuries after being hit
    > by a car May 20. The 23-year-old cyclist was headed south on Gordon Street at 1 p.m. when he
    > collided with a northbound car driven by a 74-year-old woman as she turned left on to Waterloo
    > Avenue. A Highway Traffic Act charge is pending against the car driver.'
    >
    > --
    > 'They paved paradise And put up a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell

  3. Barry Gaudet

    Barry Gaudet Guest

    GRL <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Two examples of why (in traffic) daytime running lights for bicycles are a very good idea.

    My first thought was an uncomplimentary generalization of elderly drivers but to your idea: Do you
    think day time lights would make that much difference? I've been told that blinkies in night time
    aren't that visually significant from the auto drivers POV.

    :>The Guelph Tribune, 23/5/3 [A bad day for cyclists] or [why I loathe autos]
    :>
    :> Police Blotter.
    :>
    :> 'A 49-year-old man suffered minor injuries when he was hit by a van May
    : 20.
    :> The cyclist was westbound on Willow Road when he was hit at the intersection of Applewood
    :> Crescent by a van driven by a 67-year-old man turning left on to Willow at 4:42 p.m. A Highway
    :> Traffic Act charge is pending against the van driver. [...] 'A cyclist suffered minor injuries
    :> after being hit by a car May 20. The 23-year-old cyclist was headed south on Gordon Street at 1
    :> p.m. when he collided with a northbound car driven by a 74-year-old woman as she turned left on
    :> to Waterloo Avenue. A Highway Traffic Act charge is pending against the car driver.'
    :>
    :> --
    :> 'They paved paradise And put up a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell

    --
    'They paved paradise And put up a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell

  4. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    > Do you think day time lights would make that much difference?

    Back on May 12 I saw a rider ahead of me almost get right-hooked by a car that passed him. The rider
    didn't have daytime running lights, but he did have lots of visibility-enhancing colour. Lots of
    bright yellow, shone-on from behind by the midday sun. It was more effective than any active
    lighting, which would have been washed-out and limited to being a mere point-source by the bright
    daylight. I'm still astounded that the driver missed noticing him.

    I do use (generator) lights on rainy or dark, overcast days; the drivers seem to appreciate it.

    cheers, Tom