quotables

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry Gaudet

Two accidents in one day might not be a lot in big cities but around here I rarely see one reported
accident in a week.

At least the drivers were caught and held accountable. I suspect many such accidents go unreported
or the driver unidentifed.

The Guelph Tribune, 23/5/3 [A bad day for cyclists] or [why I loathe autos]

Police Blotter.

'A 49-year-old man suffered minor injuries when he was hit by a van May 20. The cyclist was
westbound on Willow Road when he was hit at the intersection of Applewood Crescent by a van driven
by a 67-year-old man turning left on to Willow at 4:42 p.m. A Highway Traffic Act charge is pending
against the van driver. [...] 'A cyclist suffered minor injuries after being hit by a car May 20.
The 23-year-old cyclist was headed south on Gordon Street at 1 p.m. when he collided with a
northbound car driven by a 74-year-old woman as she turned left on to Waterloo Avenue. A Highway
Traffic Act charge is pending against the car driver.'

--
'They paved paradise And put up a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell

Two examples of why (in traffic) daytime running lights for bicycles are a very good idea.

--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic programmer)
"Barry Gaudet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Two accidents in one day might not be a lot in big cities but around here I rarely see one
> reported accident in a week.
>
> At least the drivers were caught and held accountable. I suspect many such accidents go
> unreported or the driver unidentifed.
>
> The Guelph Tribune, 23/5/3 [A bad day for cyclists] or [why I loathe
autos]
>
> Police Blotter.
>
> 'A 49-year-old man suffered minor injuries when he was hit by a van May
> The cyclist was westbound on Willow Road when he was hit at the intersection of Applewood Crescent
> by a van driven by a 67-year-old man turning left on to Willow at 4:42 p.m. A Highway Traffic Act
> charge is pending against the van driver. [...] 'A cyclist suffered minor injuries after being hit
> by a car May 20. The 23-year-old cyclist was headed south on Gordon Street at 1 p.m. when he
> collided with a northbound car driven by a 74-year-old woman as she turned left on to Waterloo
> Avenue. A Highway Traffic Act charge is pending against the car driver.'
>
> --
> 'They paved paradise And put up a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell

GRL <[email protected]> wrote:
: Two examples of why (in traffic) daytime running lights for bicycles are a very good idea.

My first thought was an uncomplimentary generalization of elderly drivers but to your idea: Do you
think day time lights would make that much difference? I've been told that blinkies in night time
aren't that visually significant from the auto drivers POV.

:>The Guelph Tribune, 23/5/3 [A bad day for cyclists] or [why I loathe autos]
:>
:> Police Blotter.
:> 'A 49-year-old man suffered minor injuries when he was hit by a van May
: 20.
:> The cyclist was westbound on Willow Road when he was hit at the intersection of Applewood
:> Crescent by a van driven by a 67-year-old man turning left on to Willow at 4:42 p.m. A Highway
:> Traffic Act charge is pending against the van driver. [...] 'A cyclist suffered minor injuries
:> after being hit by a car May 20. The 23-year-old cyclist was headed south on Gordon Street at 1
:> p.m. when he collided with a northbound car driven by a 74-year-old woman as she turned left on
:> to Waterloo Avenue. A Highway Traffic Act charge is pending against the car driver.'
:> --
:> 'They paved paradise And put up a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell

--
'They paved paradise And put up a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell

> Do you think day time lights would make that much difference?

Back on May 12 I saw a rider ahead of me almost get right-hooked by a car that passed him. The rider
didn't have daytime running lights, but he did have lots of visibility-enhancing colour. Lots of
bright yellow, shone-on from behind by the midday sun. It was more effective than any active
lighting, which would have been washed-out and limited to being a mere point-source by the bright
daylight. I'm still astounded that the driver missed noticing him.

I do use (generator) lights on rainy or dark, overcast days; the drivers seem to appreciate it.

cheers, Tom

--