quotables

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Barry Gaudet, Apr 19, 2003.

  1. Barry Gaudet

    Barry Gaudet Guest

    'A man's got to know his limitations'

    - Clint Eastwood

    I like to set goals for myself. This summer I have a two-fold goal. I've explored to the south, the
    west, and the north. By process of elimination, like a tapeworm, that leaves me with the option to,
    'Go east young man'. As well I'm thinking about trying a 50/50/50 day. Over the winter I've built
    myself up to 50 minute swim sets. So I figure a 50 minute morning swim, 50 km ride to the east and
    a 50 minute evening swim. Maybe as another goal I'll try to beat my personal best of 115 km on
    trails on a mountain bike.

    Does anyone else set goals for the season?

    --
    'They paved paradise And put up a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell

    Tags:

  2. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Barry Gaudet <[email protected]> writes:

    > Does anyone else set goals for the season?

    I'd rather not set goals. Goals entail commitment. I prefer to do what I want, when I want, as the
    whims & muses playfully, teasingly suggest.

    But I'm not criticizing people who do set goals. Chaque a son gout. Some folks are predilected to
    order and structure; others, to impulsivity.

    For those times when I want to ride but don't have anywhere in particular to go, I wrote myself a
    little shell script that randomly selects a direction in which to head off to. Here it is:

    #!/bin/sh

    #FILENAME: direction

    seed=`jot -r 1 10000 999999`

    echo -n "Thinking ... Hmm, let's go ... " sleep 1 number=`jot -r 1 1 4 $seed`

    case $number in
    1) echo "north.";;
    2) echo "east.";;
    3) echo "west.";;
    4) echo "south.";; esac

    Actually, my main ride *is* due for it's routine Spring overhaul. So I guess I have to resort to
    structure, order and commitment sometimes, too.

    All I've gotta do, is to work up the ambition to get into my scruffy bike-working clothes, and do
    the work. I hate rendering the bike even temporarily unridable, though. What if something comes up,
    and I need it? I suppose can always turn to the standby bikes, but those are just second-stringers.

    cheers, Tom