quotables

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry Gaudet

'A man's got to know his limitations'

- Clint Eastwood

I like to set goals for myself. This summer I have a two-fold goal. I've explored to the south, the
west, and the north. By process of elimination, like a tapeworm, that leaves me with the option to,
'Go east young man'. As well I'm thinking about trying a 50/50/50 day. Over the winter I've built
myself up to 50 minute swim sets. So I figure a 50 minute morning swim, 50 km ride to the east and
a 50 minute evening swim. Maybe as another goal I'll try to beat my personal best of 115 km on
trails on a mountain bike.

Does anyone else set goals for the season?

--
'They paved paradise And put up a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell

In article <[email protected]>, Barry Gaudet <[email protected]> writes:

> Does anyone else set goals for the season?

I'd rather not set goals. Goals entail commitment. I prefer to do what I want, when I want, as the
whims & muses playfully, teasingly suggest.

But I'm not criticizing people who do set goals. Chaque a son gout. Some folks are predilected to
order and structure; others, to impulsivity.

For those times when I want to ride but don't have anywhere in particular to go, I wrote myself a
little shell script that randomly selects a direction in which to head off to. Here it is:

#!/bin/sh

#FILENAME: direction

seed=`jot -r 1 10000 999999`

echo -n "Thinking ... Hmm, let's go ... " sleep 1 number=`jot -r 1 1 4 $seed`

case $number in
1) echo "north.";;
2) echo "east.";;
3) echo "west.";;
4) echo "south.";; esac

Actually, my main ride *is* due for it's routine Spring overhaul. So I guess I have to resort to
structure, order and commitment sometimes, too.

All I've gotta do, is to work up the ambition to get into my scruffy bike-working clothes, and do
the work. I hate rendering the bike even temporarily unridable, though. What if something comes up,
and I need it? I suppose can always turn to the standby bikes, but those are just second-stringers.

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

In article <[email protected]>, Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:

>For those times when I want to ride but don't have anywhere in particular to go, I wrote myself a
>little shell script that randomly selects a direction in which to head off to.

Software solution.... I prefer the hardware solution. I flip a four-sided coin.

--
--
LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 90% of North Americans cannot taste the difference between
fried dog and fried cat?

>All I've gotta do, is to work up the ambition to get into my scruffy bike-working clothes, and do
>the work. I hate rendering the bike even temporarily unridable, though. What if something comes up,
>and I need it?

What if a giant asteroid were to hit the Earth, you'd die with a dirty bike.

Heh heh.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
the Texas Elvis"------------------
__________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

In article <[email protected]>, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>All I've gotta do, is to work up the ambition to get into my scruffy bike-working clothes, and do
>>the work. I hate rendering the bike even temporarily unridable, though. What if something comes
>>up, and I need it?
>
> What if a giant asteroid were to hit the Earth, you'd die with a dirty bike.
>
> Heh heh.

That would be bad.

But what would really suck, would be if the asteroid hit while I was counting hub bearing balls out
ot their coal-oil bath. What would be unbearable, would be if I lost one out of the tweezers, and it
rolled under something- or-other, to be irretrievably lost, down here in the basement.

I'd bawl-out God with some choice words, in such a predicament. Then, She would teach me an humbling
lesson, in a Karmic way. I'm no certainly no better than Jonah[*]. Eventually, things would settle
down, and return to normal.

I just hope it doesn't happen while I'm looking for that stupid, renegade bearing-ball under the hot
water tank, while being blown into the ionosphere.

cheers, Tom

[*] "Never give a sucker an even break." -- God

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
: In article <[email protected]>,
: Barry Gaudet <[email protected]> writes:

:> Does anyone else set goals for the season?
: I'd rather not set goals. Goals entail commitment.

Really???? Don't you take pride in a sense of accomplishment at achieving something? A hill that
was always a b*tch? Going further than you manged before? Surpassing a personal best? Maybe my
goals are pathetic some , or even unattainable to others but they allow, for me, the challenging of
self. [ugggh!! horrible sentence structue!]

But as you say, in paraphrase: To each his own.

: I prefer to do what I want, when I want, as the whims & muses playfully, teasingly suggest.

Certainly. But days of general personal goals don't preclude the whimsy and muse of other days.

[...]
: in particular to go, I wrote myself a little shell script that randomly selects a direction in
: which to head off to. Here it is:

My avoidance of the east had more to do with the topography. It doesn't seem, at first glance, to
be the best choice. But I've been pleasantly surprised before.

--
'They paved paradise And put up a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell

>I just hope it doesn't happen while I'm looking for that stupid, renegade bearing-ball under the
>hot water tank, while being blown into the ionosphere.

Me either. In any event it is trivial to clean, repack and adjust bearings without chasing them
around the basement. A pie plate, a towel that you don't like, some Simple Green and some
appropriate grease should be all you need apart fron the tools.

Running water to get rid of the Simple Green.

I can't believe this is a problem, I clean, repack and adjust on a regular basis on my frequently
used bikes (six months) and it doesn't get into an Augean task.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
the Texas Elvis"------------------
__________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

In article <[email protected]>, Barry Gaudet <[email protected]> writes:
> Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
>: In article <[email protected]>,
>: Barry Gaudet <[email protected]> writes:
>
>:> Does anyone else set goals for the season?
>: I'd rather not set goals. Goals entail commitment.
>
> Really???? Don't you take pride in a sense of accomplishment at achieving something?

Sometimes. But it can be impromptu, rather than sought & planned.

And the results often can be better.

But, screw pride. I just wanna ride.

Sometimes, it's nice to be free of having to achieve stuff, and just do stuff for the hell of it
instead. I think that's called "therapy" :)

I guess I *do* have goals, but I tend to store them away, and then pick them out & tackle them at a
moment's notice, when the timing seems right. It's just one, personal approach.

cheers, Tom

--