R: Deore XT crankset to Ultegra rear

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff Wills, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (alan) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Turns out the shop was going to try a Deore XT front der, can't wait to see. How do the Shimano
    > bar cons compare to my very old, perfect, Sun Tour 6-speed indexed ones? Thanks, Alan

    Shimano's indexing barcons are at least as good as the Suntour units. The levers are slightly
    smaller- but they work fine with my (large) hands. I have a set of 7-speed Shimano barcons that
    still work great after 13 years.

    For your setup, Alan, the barcons will get around the cable-pull issue that Sheldon mentioned.
    You'll be able to use just about any front derailleur you find on the roadside- none of this
    nonsense about searching out obscure Shimano parts.

    Jeff

    Tags:

  2. Alan

    Alan Guest

    [email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (alan) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > > Turns out the shop was going to try a Deore XT front der, can't wait to see. How do the Shimano
    > > bar cons compare to my very old, perfect, Sun Tour 6-speed indexed ones? Thanks, Alan
    >
    > Shimano's indexing barcons are at least as good as the Suntour units. The levers are slightly
    > smaller- but they work fine with my (large) hands. I have a set of 7-speed Shimano barcons that
    > still work great after 13 years.
    >
    > For your setup, Alan, the barcons will get around the cable-pull issue that Sheldon mentioned.
    > You'll be able to use just about any front derailleur you find on the roadside- none of this
    > nonsense about searching out obscure Shimano parts.
    >
    > Jeff

    Must admit, riding on Sun Tour many years after they are gone, I'd like to be able to find parts
    easily. Truth is, the 18 yr. old Sun Tour works perfectly today, but it's time for a change.
    Thanks, Alan

  3. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    alan wrote:
    > Must admit, riding on Sun Tour many years after they are gone, I'd like to be able to find parts
    > easily. Truth is, the 18 yr. old Sun Tour works perfectly today, but it's time for a change.
    > Thanks, Alan

    Search Ebay for "suntour" and follow it for a few weeks, and you can find most anything, lots of it
    New Old Stock, and at less than original price.

    Mark Janeba (adjust address to reply)