R.I.P. PRESIDENT LECH A. KACZYŃSKI

gman0482

Aug 13, 2009
There is no possible description of how I feel right now. Poland has suffered a huge blow, and an undescribable loss. My prayers go out to President's family especially his daughter who not only lost her father, but also her mother, and prayers for the families of the other 94 passenger's who were on board.

Moje Serce dzisiaj jest cięszkie i smutnę.

-Grzegorz

Yes, very, very sad.

I lived in Warszawa for a year - lovely city, lovely people. Thinking of you.

making_tracks

Dreadful tragedy for the family and friends of the deceased, and for Poland as a country of course.

We have many Polish people here in Ireland : they've opened a book of condolences over here.

On a side subject, why did they travel in an aircraft that has a poor safety record?

limerickman said:
On a side subject, why did they travel in an aircraft that has a poor safety record?

They were supposed to get a new aircraft some time back, but it was decided that the TU-154 (Russian plane) was still in good shape with very low air time. There was also not enough $ in the budget, which I think is crazy, because you can save money on lots of things, but something like this should not be avoided at any costs.

Of course it's very easy now to speculate and question everything, after the fact. But the main and obvious remains true, it's a devistating tragedy and loss, making a huge hole in the governing body of Poland.

Let's not forget who was on that plane besides the president and wife. Almost every head of the Polish government. From all the generals of every military sector, to all the head cardinals and priests, to the highest house and senate delegates. It is pretty much not believable to me. Now the whole world will learn about what took place in Katyń 70 years ago. How Stalin's NKVD executed 22,000 Polish officers and citizens. Now the hidden archives should be released and the detailed facts should come out. IMO, Stalin has murdered once again.

I have Polish tv and I've been watching the kondukt or caravan of president's coffin from the airport to the palace all day. They only identified 24 people so far, and Mrs.Kaczyńska is still not identified.

gman0482 said:
They were supposed to get a new aircraft some time back, but it was decided that the TU-154 (Russian plane) was still in good shape with very low air time. There was also not enough $ in the budget, which I think is crazy, because you can save money on lots of things, but something like this should not be avoided at any costs.

Of course it's very easy now to speculate and question everything, after the fact. But the main and obvious remains true, it's a devistating tragedy and loss, making a huge hole in the governing body of Poland.

Let's not forget who was on that plane besides the president and wife. Almost every head of the Polish government. From all the generals of every military sector, to all the head cardinals and priests, to the highest house and senate delegates. It is pretty much not believable to me. Now the whole world will learn about what took place in Katyń 70 years ago. How Stalin's NKVD executed 22,000 Polish officers and citizens. Now the hidden archives should be released and the detailed facts should come out. IMO, Stalin has murdered once again.

I have Polish tv and I've been watching the kondukt or caravan of president's coffin from the airport to the palace all day. They only identified 24 people so far, and Mrs.Kaczyńska is still not identified.

I am a keen WWII student and I am fully acquainted with the NKVD and what they did at Katyn.

Are you suggesting that this plane crash is a conspiracy of some kind?

limerickman said:
I am a keen WWII student and I am fully acquainted with the NKVD and what they did at Katyn.

Are you suggesting that this plane crash is a conspiracy of some kind?

Well you're one in a thousand that knows the story, because most people don't know, and that's not anyone's fault, it's just a fact.

How do you conclude that I'm suggesting a conspiracy ? I'm not.

gman0482 said:
Well you're one in a thousand that knows the story, because most people don't know, and that's not anyone's fault, it's just a fact.

How do you conclude that I'm suggesting a conspiracy ? I'm not.

maybe I misread your initial post but I assumed that you were alleging that there might well have been foul play regarding this plane crash.

limerickman said:
maybe I misread your initial post but I assumed that you were alleging that there might well have been foul play regarding this plane crash.

Greg, I was wondering the same thing because of this in your post:

Now the whole world will learn about what took place in Katyń 70 years ago. How Stalin's NKVD executed 22,000 Polish officers and citizens. Now the hidden archives should be released and the detailed facts should come out. IMO, Stalin has murdered once again.

I thought that maybe there was something else that hadn't been disclosed before?

64Paramount said:
Greg, I was wondering the same thing because of this in your post:

Now the whole world will learn about what took place in Katyń 70 years ago. How Stalin's NKVD executed 22,000 Polish officers and citizens. Now the hidden archives should be released and the detailed facts should come out. IMO, Stalin has murdered once again.

I thought that maybe there was something else that hadn't been disclosed before?

Agreed 64 : the Stalin comment made me wonder if Gman was alleging that the plane crash was an act of sabotage by the Russians.

The comment I made about Stalin murdering again is just my personal and deep feeling and thought, that because of Stalin's executions 70 years ago, this plane tragedy would have never happened, therefore I completely blame Stalin for this, not today's Russia.

What I meant about the whole world learning about Katyń, was that for many years Katyń was kept a secret, even threatening the families of those killed if they ever tried to speak out.

gman0482 said:
The comment I made about Stalin murdering again is just my personal and deep feeling and thought, that because of Stalin's executions 70 years ago, this plane tragedy would have never happened, therefore I completely blame Stalin for this, not today's Russia.

What I meant about the whole world learning about Katyń, was that for many years Katyń was kept a secret, even threatening the families of those killed if they ever tried to speak out.

I see.
Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, Beria and the NKVD and the Soviets have a lot to answer for as regards Poland and WWII.

Poland was on the receiving end of two despotic regimes (Nazi Germany and USSR).
The cynical way in which the Western powers turned their back on Poland was shameful.

But Poland and the Poles are a proud people and the country will get over this terrible tragedy.
We have many Polish people working/living here in Ireland and I know that these smart and confident people will press on with the job of rebuilding Poland.

Thanks for the kind words Limmerick.

I just came back from a beautiful ceremony at my church. We all are devistated, but as you said, we will get through this and come out stronger. This week the president was supposed to officially announce his running for re-election. Now the election must happen sooner, within 2 months perhaps.

It won't be easy to replace all that were lost, along with a favored runner-up for next presidency (who was from my home city) was also on the plane.

Komorowski however, who is the vice president now, is also running for election, and is a great man who if elected (which I predict), will make a great president.

gman0482 said:
There's a very good Polish film called, conveniently enough, Katyn that is widely available.