R/R: Camp Thunder!

Dave W

Guest
Scuse me while I whip this out......

Went down to Thomaston, GA this morning. Down to the BSA canoe camp on the Flint river. Hadn't been
there in about a year. While the scenery is excellent, the ride sux! (at least the first part does)
The climbs are hellish (for central GA). Obviously not much elevation, but the obstacles are the
crux. Rocks rocks, and even more freakin rocks.

I hit the trailhead @ 10:00 am to find absolutely no one in sight.

The ride begins with a mile long cruise on the banks of the mighty Flint.Saw a bunch of snapperhead
turtles sunning themselves on the rocks. Some pretty big jokers! But one can't really enjoy the
wildlife cuz your too busy manuvering the damn rocks! Good thing this part is flat. But it is a good
indication of things to come. After crossing several water crossings ya gotta hang a left and begin
the agonizing climbs that are once again filled with dreaded rocks! I have just installed new
shifter cables, adjusted the brakes, everything is working like it should. The only concern I have
is that pesky Zoke things I asked about earlier. (Thanks to everyone who responded in a positive
way, damn Shaun, that means you!) I went with it anyway.

As I inch myself up and up, trying to reach the brass ring, I think about the last time I was here.
The trails were fairly groomed. Not this time. I may have been the first person to ride these trails
this season. At least that's my thought, which was more or less confirmed when I signed in at the
trailhead kiosk. Of the 15 or so people that have logged their names, all were their for fishing
purposes. No bike riders have signed in since last November.

The trail itself lead me to the same conclusion. They were absolutely ugly. Covered with leaves and
pinestraw. It was difficult following in some spots. This was compounded by the fact that someone
had came up the d/h side in a dozer or something, and chewed the trails all to hell in some spots!
It sucked. I finally made it up this damn hill and started to enjoy some nice singletrack that just
disappeared in several spots. I guess they might have been up there with the equipment cutting some
fire breaks, although it didn't look like they did too good of a job.

I finally reached some excellent downhill spots, but the condition of the terrain had me riding the
brakes because I had no idea what kind of **** lie ahead. Damn good thing too. As I was haulin ass
down one very quick spot, something told me to back it down a notch. As I rounded a sweeping corner
at speed something appeared that was just weird. I've heard some of you guy's tales about things
found on the trail. I think I've found something better than anything I've read about. Although I
couldn't keep it, it was much too large to pack it out in my bak'. I found a 1997 Ford Ranger pick
up truck dead in the middle of the trail!! Windows rolled halfway down, camper window on the back
open. Key's in the ignition! I'm sure a few of you would have rathered I didn't slow down, and
T-boned the truck head on, but not today my furry friends. I stopped and looked around, but didn't
see a soul. Whomever this truck belonged too was deep in the woods, some freakin where. My mind
wandered a little more than I liked, and I truly started to hear "Duelling Banjos" in my head. I
hauled ass.

I hit the d/h known simply as "45" as in 45 degree incline, haulin ass. This was an excellent test
for the Avid SD 7's I had to back it down hard and fast. I cooked on down the hill, feeling the wind
of the Motoraptors on my ass. I was way back on this baby, and it was a blast. I held it to the
bottom. After a longish climb it was time for the payoff, the waterbarred downhill! What a fun d/h
this is. Every 20-30 ft another bar. At speed one has barely enough time to land, and get set for
the next one. Yet another blast. This part makes all the rocks worthwhile, as it is rock free! And
very, very fast. I slipped back into the lot. My Blazer is still the only thing in the lot. Put my
gear away, and hit the road home. What a blast! I sincerely hope that all of you have rides like
this. Wonderful.

Dave

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:25:56 -0400, Dave W <[email protected]> wrote:

>Scuse me while I whip this out......

Weak!

>Went down to Thomaston, GA this morning. Down to the BSA canoe camp on the Flint river.

Did fvcking not! I was there and didn't see any lame-ass-three-foot-nonriding-no bike skills-idiots
anywhere in sight!

[snip rest of Bvllsh!t!]

>Dave

:-]

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:58:54 -0400, Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:25:56 -0400, Dave W <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Scuse me while I whip this out......
>
>Weak!
>

>>Went down to Thomaston, GA this morning. Down to the BSA canoe camp on the Flint river.
>
>Did fvcking not! I was there and didn't see any lame-ass-three-foot-nonriding-no bike skills-idiots
>anywhere in sight!
>
>[snip rest of Bvllsh!t!]
>

>>Dave
>
>Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
>mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
>:-]
hahahaha, you should get w/ Spider & brush up on your antagonizing skills....

Talk about weak!

Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:58:54 -0400, Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:25:56 -0400, Dave W <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>Scuse me while I whip this out......
> >
> >Weak!
> >

> >>Went down to Thomaston, GA this morning. Down to the BSA canoe camp on the Flint river.
> >
> >Did fvcking not! I was there and didn't see any lame-ass-three-foot-nonriding-no bike
> >skills-idiots anywhere in sight!
> >
> >[snip rest of Bvllsh!t!]
> >

> >>Dave
> >
> >Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
> >mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
> >:-]
> hahahaha, you should get w/ Spider & brush up on your antagonizing skills....

LOL. More irony. Hump, hump, hump...

> Talk about weak! Well, every time you talk about yourself, natch.

Spider

You do, all the time.