R.R. East Bay ridge ride

Paul Macintyre

Guest
The plan was to ride the four Regional Parks that run along the tops of the hills that separate
Richmond, Berkeley and Oakland from the unwashed masses of Eastern CoCo County. Then turn around and
ride back again. We have been enjoying unusually clear weather in the Bay Area for the last week so
it bode well for some spectacular views from the ridge tops. The ride would consist of some of the
finest fire roads that Wildwood, Tilden, Redwood and Chabot Regional Parks have to offer. About
fifty miles of dirt and ten miles of connector roads, with plenty of long steep climbs. I hooked up
with Mark an old river rafting buddy and two of his friends at the El Cerrito BART Station at
9:30AM. We rode through Richmond to the Wildcat Creek trailhead and started the long climb through
Wildcat and Tilden to the top of the Seaview trail. I was a little disappointed that the air quality
had decreased some in the past few days but the views were still impressive. There was an offshore
fog bank so we couldn¹t see the Farralon Islands but the bay was spectacular with views of Napa,
Marin and San Francisco to the north and west. To the east was a fine view of Mt. Diablo and you
could just make out the snow capped Sierras through the haze. I was starting to get concerned that
our pace was to slow for us to make it back by sun down. We road around Volmer Peak and got on
Grizzly Peak Rd. for a short road ride to connect with Redwood Park. One of the guys was pretty beat
by now so we stopped to eat and reassess the ride. After eating we all agreed to continue on to the
half waypoint then see how we felt. The West Ridge trail in this direction is a fun steep down hill
run and a nice pay off for all the climbing we had done. There are some steep technical sections
that are a hoot and a short narrow section that¹s also fun. Unfortunately the downhill was over all
to soon and we faced a long climb up the McDonald trail into Chabot Regional Park. When reached the
top of the ridge it was apparent that we were reaching the limits of our endurance as well. We had
been riding for 5 hours and not reached the half way point and there was only 4 hours left before
sundown. After a long rest we decided to ride down to the lake then bail out to BART and take a
train home.

Stats: 1 rigid, 2 hard tails, 1 full susser, 4 parks, 25+- miles, 1 flat, 0 crashes

Paul

"Paul MacIntyre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>

I love that loop.

Last Friday I rode a shorter version of it. Lake Chabot through Bort Meadows and MacDonald Grade to
Redwood Park. East Ridge then West Ridge to the Moongate staging area (I think that's the gate)
where I dipped into Joaquin Miller, then back into Redwood to finish that loop... back up MacDonald
onto some pavement to the Skyline Blvd median singletrack to the Skyline/Grass Valley junction, got
back into Lake Chabot to finish that loop... rode Ten Hills again for good measure, exited at
Redwood Rd and stopped by Eden bicycles in Castro Village on my way home to pick up a new chainstay.
45 miles total. About a quarter of it in the dark. Good stuff!!

Today, rode Oat Hill in Napa where I met Victor Vincente (1965 Nat' Bicycling Champion and
Olympian). What an excellent ride! Beautiful countryside this time of year. Came home and picked up
the gf and headed to Joaquin Miller for some more riding before stopping by Eden again for some Time
Z pedals for her bike, brake cables and housings.

Came home, changed some tires around, added the new pedals ate generous amounts of pasta and
watched ***.

Now I'm about to check on the laundry (jersey and shorts!) and hit the hay so some friends and I can
head to Auburn and Cool in the morning for a few loops up yonder.

Oh yeah. You should join us for some riding some time! We ride several times throughout the week in
the evenings and almost every weekend we head somewhere (Santa Cruz, Napa, local, wherever). I'm
definitely going to be riding Oat Hill again in the coming weeks. I love that trail!

--
FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
--

"Paul MacIntyre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| The plan was to ride the four Regional Parks that run along the tops
of
| the hills that separate Richmond, Berkeley and Oakland from the unwashed masses of Eastern CoCo
| County. Then turn around and ride back again. We have been enjoying unusually clear weather in the
| Bay Area for the last
week
| so it bode well for some spectacular views from the ridge tops. The ride would consist of some of
| the finest fire roads that Wildwood, Tilden, Redwood and Chabot Regional Parks have to offer.

Ugh.

I can't believe I just read a sentence that included "finest" and "fireroad," and the two words were
linked together.

Nice ride. Next time you want that kind of mileage let me suggest some singletrack.

--
Pete Fagerlin

Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

"Pete Fagerlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Nice ride. Next time you want that kind of mileage let me suggest some singletrack.
|
| --
| Pete Fagerlin
|
| Save Fruita trails! http://www.petefagerlin.com/bookcliffs.htm

Hey Pete,

Do you know of a good loop that can be made with Oat Hill? (Rather than out-and-back.)

I met a guy named Victor Vincente (did a search on him... bicycling hall of fame and nat'l champion)
at Oat Hill today who said he was doing a loop that would take him about 7 hours...

--
FlyingCoyote http://www.boarsgut.com
--

----------
In article <[email protected]>, "Pete Fagerlin"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I can't believe I just read a sentence that included "finest" and "fireroad," and the two words
> were linked together.
>
> Nice ride. Next time you want that kind of mileage let me suggest some singletrack.

Well you ride where you can. I love singletrack but it's hard to come by around here unless you
want to drive.

Paul

----------
In article <[email protected]>, "FlyingCoyote"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Oh yeah. You should join us for some riding some time! We ride several times throughout the week
> in the evenings and almost every weekend we head somewhere (Santa Cruz, Napa, local, wherever).
> I'm definitely going to be riding Oat Hill again in the coming weeks. I love that trail!

I've known about your Chabot rides for some time and will definitely hook up some day.

Paul

On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 21:36:09 -0800, "Paul MacIntyre" <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]
>Stats: 1 rigid, 2 hard tails, 1 full susser, 4 parks, 25+- miles, 1 flat, 0 crashes
>
>Paul

Nice RR...next time go all the way.

Peace, bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
:-]

"Pete Fagerlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Paul MacIntyre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> | The plan was to ride the four Regional Parks that run along the tops

THE HOUSE THE MOVIE HURLY BURLY WAS FILMED IN OAKLAND HILLS HURLY BURLY WAS FILMED AT 70** DEVON WY.
OAKLAND,CA "OAKLAND HILLS" MAP 630-C3. IT COST OVER $50,000 TO REMODEL THE HOUSE FOR THE MOVIE.