R3 inner chain stay wear

doulos

Apr 22, 2007
I've got clearcoat wear on the front aspect of both inner chainstays from tire rub. The wheel was built by a LBS and trued regularly and currently only minimally out of round. Running 700X23 tires. Used this wheel (Mavic CXP 33) with power tap hub on another bike without this issue. I use firm pressure to tighten the quick release (contact at half way closed). Just noticed this during regular cleaning, bike shifts and rides normally.

1. Wheel flex?
2. Frame flex?
3. QR too loose?

Thanks Tim

doulos said:
I've got clearcoat wear on the front aspect of both inner chainstays from tire rub. The wheel was built by a LBS and trued regularly and currently only minimally out of round. Running 700X23 tires. Used this wheel (Mavic CXP 33) with power tap hub on another bike without this issue. I use firm pressure to tighten the quick release (contact at half way closed). Just noticed this during regular cleaning, bike shifts and rides normally.

1. Wheel flex?
2. Frame flex?
3. QR too loose?

Thanks Tim

Rear wheel spoke tension? Do you have a problem with LH spokes coming loose?

doulos said:

1. Wheel flex?
2. Frame flex?
3. QR too loose?
See how much you can deflect the rim when you GRAB a pair of spokes on the rear wheel with your hands when it is mounted in your frame OR simply grab the rim near the chainstay & hook your thumb over the chainstay and see how easily you can move it toward either chainstay ...or, not.

How many spokes (and, what type) does the rear wheel have & how much do you weigh?

I don't know about your quick release, but if the wheel isn't seated in the same position AFTER a ride as before OR if you have concerns/doubts, then change to either a SHIMANO or a CAMPAGNOLO quick release.

531Aussie said:
WOW! That's a tight fit.
Click on "Detail views"

http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=R32009

Are your stays the same as the new ones?

Cervelo's new design ethic is to build more component conflicts into each successive new design. The rumor is that when the when the S5 comes out, it will only be compatible with Shimano Di4, and the S5 will be released 2 years before Di4 even hits the designers' desks.

alienator said:
Cervelo's new design ethic is to build more component conflicts into each successive new design. The rumor is that when the when the S5 comes out, it will only be compatible with Shimano Di4, and the S5 will be released 2 years before Di4 even hits the designers' desks.
Crikey!

The lack of tire clearance on modern road racing frames is getting ridiculous!