R700-Changing rear 9spd Cassette

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Fred, Apr 22, 2003.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I have a R700 with 105 comps. I live in the mountains & would like to change the rear cassette to
    provide a lower gear ratio. Any suggestions?

    Thanks, Fred

    Tags:

  2. "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a R700 with 105 comps. I live in the mountains & would like to change the rear cassette to
    > provide a lower gear ratio. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks, Fred

    I think the biggest cassette that you can use with your existing components is the 12-27. If you
    need even more gearing, you can install a MTB (XTR, XT or LX) rear derailluer and cassette on your
    bike. Those cassettes can be had in 11-32 or 12-34 cogs which could get you up some STEEP hills. You
    might need a longer chain too.

  3. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    > I have a R700 with 105 comps. I live in the mountains &
    would like to
    > change the rear cassette to provide a lower gear ratio.
    Any
    > suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks, Fred

    You don't state what you have now, or whether it's double or triple, and how low a gear
    ratio you want

    With an otherwise standard Shimano 105 triple nine speed set-up, (52-42-30 crankset), I'm using a
    custom 13-14-15-16-17-19-21-24-28, which works for me - about 28 gear-inches. A "standard" 12-27
    Ultegra nine speed cassette would also work

    If you've only a double, a 39T small ring and the 28T large sprocket will get you down to about 37
    gear-inches. You can try a larger rear sprocket, but at the expense of wider gaps between adjacent
    sprockets. You can get Shimano compatible ATB cassettes with 11-30, 11-32, or 12-34. IMHO, though,
    the 11T is a waste of time on a road bike with a 52T or 53T large chainring, so better to customize
    these to a 12T or 13T smallest sprocket

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    13/30 will work fine

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:34:18 GMT, "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I think the biggest cassette that you can use with your existing components is the 12-27. If you
    >need even more gearing, you can install a MTB (XTR, XT or LX) rear derailluer and cassette on
    >your bike.

  5. Rb

    Rb Guest

    A longer chain can be critical when installing a larger cassette. At a recent local club ride, I
    stopped and assisted a rider who had put in a larger cassette without checking chain length. His
    bike was in the big-big combination. The chain and derailleurs were locked up. The rd was extended
    straight forward and the chain was tighter than a guitar string. We had to loosen the rear wheel and
    bring it forward to loosen the chain enough to drop it onto a smaller gear.

    r.b.

    news:<[email protected]>...