RAAM rider killed

"gds" <[email protected]> wrote:

>see:http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/

Here it is. Yikes.

With profound regret, Race Across America announces that Bob
Breedlove, competitor #188, collided head-on with a pickup truck at
approximately 12.15 p.m. EDT, on June 23, 28 miles west of Trinidad,
Colorado. When paramedics arrived on the scene they pronounced him
dead. The accident took place on a section of road that sloped very
gently downhill for cyclists in the race. According to the driver of
the pickup truck, Bob Breedlove appeared to collapse on his bicycle
and swerved into the path of the oncoming vehicle.

Cyclists competing in the Race Across America are offered the option
of completing the race, should they so desire.

Race Director Jim Pitre said: "Speaking both personally, and on behalf
of the entire management and all those associated with the race, I
extend my most sincere sympathy to the family of Bob Breedlove."

At the time of the accident, Bob Breedlove was leading the 50+
category, and was 12th overall in the race.

"Neil Brooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> With profound regret, Race Across America announces that Bob
> Breedlove, competitor #188, collided head-on with a pickup

truck at

> At the time of the accident, Bob Breedlove was leading the

50+
> category, and was 12th overall in the race.

In the entire history of RAAM, this is the second death.
On the other hand, the first death was either 2 or 3 years
ago, the number of competitors is small, and the pressures may
be increasing.

IIRC, Breedlove was defending his "over 50" record. When he
set the record, he made a few additional stops at fire
stations as part of a "post 9/11" event. It's possible that
the race is becoming more "serious" now and people may be
taking even more chances. The brief news story indicates "It
seemed like he must have passed out, he slumped on his bars.
He just swerved right into our lane." It's also possible I'm
just overreacting.

Mike Kruger wrote:

> In the entire history of RAAM, this is the second death. On the other hand, the first death was either 2 or 3 years ago.

Wasn't there a Canadian rider (without a support team) badly injured
10+ years ago?

> It's possible that the race is becoming more "serious" now and people may be taking even more chances.

Maybe just the sleep deprivation. It's probably not a great idea to
ride day after day on 2-3 hours sleep.

It's also interesting that this incident sounds eerily similar to the
other recent fatality caused by a rider crossing over the centerline
(apparently) unintentionally.

Art Harris

24 Jun 2005 10:02:35 -0700,
<[email protected]>,
"Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Maybe just the sleep deprivation. It's probably not a great idea to
>ride day after day on 2-3 hours sleep.

That was my thought too. Those micro-sleeps happen quite regularly
when running a sleep deficit. Didn't the old-time 6-day racers hve
problems with hallucinating after a few days so that now 6-day races
are less demanding?

>It's also interesting that this incident sounds eerily similar to the
>other recent fatality caused by a rider crossing over the centerline
>(apparently) unintentionally.

Heat stroke was mentioned as another possibilty.
--
zk

>In the entire history of RAAM, this is the second death.
>On the other hand, the first death was either 2 or 3 years
>ago, the number of competitors is small, and the pressures may
>be increasing.

IIRC, it the third. A solo competitor, riding without support, was killed
many years ago.

Chris Neary
[email protected]

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

Art Harris asked:

> Wasn't there a Canadian rider (without a support team)
> badly injured 10+ years ago?

Yes, I recall it happened at night in New Mexico, but I don't remember
any other details.