RAAM separates the men from the children.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Claudius Vitalis, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. Extreme concentration for days and thousands of miles on end. This
    isn't your typical crit 50 mile playground, this is continental racing from
    sea to shining sea. Testing equipment, and physical capabilities to the
    maximum. No going home to watch Deadwood, after a few hours of fun and
    games and false bravado, this competition is for men, not children.

    Tags:

  2. We met a Corporate Team lastnight in San Diego. They shoved off @ 2PM
    Tues. Great what RAAM've done with that format. No longer 1man=1bike.
    Letting the corporates play the game, really ups the participation,
    buy in and support for the sport. Way to go RAAM.

  3. Tim Lines

    Tim Lines Guest

    Claudius Vitalis wrote:
    > Extreme concentration for days and thousands of miles on end. This
    > isn't your typical crit 50 mile playground, this is continental racing from
    > sea to shining sea. Testing equipment, and physical capabilities to the
    > maximum. No going home to watch Deadwood, after a few hours of fun and
    > games and false bravado, this competition is for men, not children.

    While you're typing ignorant messages on your keyboard, Catherina Berge
    is competing solo in this sport "for men".

    What does that make you?

  4. Claudius Vitalis wrote:
    > Extreme concentration for days and thousands of miles on end. This
    > isn't your typical crit 50 mile playground, this is continental racing from
    > sea to shining sea. Testing equipment, and physical capabilities to the
    > maximum. No going home to watch Deadwood, after a few hours of fun and
    > games and false bravado, this competition is for men, not children.

    Dumbass -

    troll-o-meter
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    ^

    thanks,

    K. Gringioni.

  5. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    > Claudius Vitalis wrote:
    >> Extreme concentration for days and thousands of miles on end. This
    >> isn't your typical crit 50 mile playground, this is continental racing
    >> from
    >> sea to shining sea. Testing equipment, and physical capabilities to the
    >> maximum. No going home to watch Deadwood, after a few hours of fun and
    >> games and false bravado, this competition is for men, not children.

    > Dumbass -
    >
    > troll-o-meter
    > 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    > ^
    > |

    > thanks,
    >
    > K. Gringioni.

    Crap. Now that you've posted your troll-o-meter, does that mean I can't
    take the bait and tell the OP how I think the the folks who do RAAM aren't
    "real men" at all, but rather are insane, self-obsessed idiots? I mean,
    after watching that stupid RAAM broadcast last year, I almost didn't want to
    ride my bike anymore. It just seemed so stupid and pointless.

    --
    Bob C.

    "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

  6. PanFan

    PanFan Guest

    "Claudius Vitalis" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > to the maximum. No going home to watch Deadwood, after a few hours of
    > fun and games and false bravado, this competition is for men, not
    > children.

    .... or is the competition for insomniacs, not narcoleptics?

  7. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I mean, after watching that stupid RAAM broadcast last year, I almost
    > didn't want to ride my bike anymore. It just seemed so stupid and
    > pointless.

    Maybe that's the point of showing it on TV.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Butter is love.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  8. > Claudius Vitalis wrote:
    > > Extreme concentration for days and thousands of miles on end. This
    > > isn't your typical crit 50 mile playground, this is continental racing

    from
    > > sea to shining sea. Testing equipment, and physical capabilities to the
    > > maximum. No going home to watch Deadwood, after a few hours of fun and
    > > games and false bravado, this competition is for men, not children.
    > >

    > While you're typing ignorant messages on your keyboard, Catherina Berge
    > is competing solo in this sport "for men".
    >
    > What does that make you?

    A fan of Cat. Cat is in 11th place. As of Wednesday morning she's
    about 300 miles behind the leader, but 100 miles ahead of some of the men
    behind her. Hope she holds on. Disappointing that there was only 1 woman
    solo rider entry. As I write this she is pedaling towards Durango, CO 51
    degrees Wind North 5 mph , 3200' of climbing between timestations 14 & 15.
    She's a mountain goat, so I fear she'll be caught be some of the men behind
    her, once they get out of the mountains. The race doesn't really begin till
    they get to the Missippi river. A fact for some of you 50 mile crit heroes,
    there is no drafting in RAAM. No holding hands in massive packs, talking
    about how you're kicking ass.

  9. Olebiker

    Olebiker Guest

    Sorry man, but the individual category of RAAM is just an exercise in
    sleep deprivation. I'm not impressed.

  10. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    But it's reading a little high.

  11. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Isn't it strange that when you take an incredibly cool idea, like
    riding across the USA and make it into a race it becomes something
    stupid and boring?

  12. Tom

    Tom Guest

    One word for RAAM... BORING

    Tom

  13. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    I believe the court should separate Michael Jackson from the children,
    too.

  14. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    >> Claudius Vitalis wrote:
    >> > Extreme concentration for days and thousands of miles on end. This
    >> > isn't your typical crit 50 mile playground, this is continental racing

    > from
    >> > sea to shining sea. Testing equipment, and physical capabilities to
    >> > the
    >> > maximum. No going home to watch Deadwood, after a few hours of fun and
    >> > games and false bravado, this competition is for men, not children.
    >> >

    >> While you're typing ignorant messages on your keyboard, Catherina Berge
    >> is competing solo in this sport "for men".
    >>
    >> What does that make you?

    > A fan of Cat. Cat is in 11th place. As of Wednesday morning she's
    > about 300 miles behind the leader, but 100 miles ahead of some of the men
    > behind her. Hope she holds on. Disappointing that there was only 1 woman
    > solo rider entry. As I write this she is pedaling towards Durango, CO 51
    > degrees Wind North 5 mph , 3200' of climbing between timestations 14 & 15.
    > She's a mountain goat, so I fear she'll be caught be some of the men
    > behind
    > her, once they get out of the mountains. The race doesn't really begin
    > till
    > they get to the Missippi river. A fact for some of you 50 mile crit
    > heroes,
    > there is no drafting in RAAM. No holding hands in massive packs, talking
    > about how you're kicking ass.

    Interesting woman and a DVM. http://www.catharinaberge.com/index.htm

  15. gds

    gds Guest

    Claudius Vitalis wrote:

    this competition is for men, not children.

    Or at least men with the minds of children.

  16. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    "gds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Claudius Vitalis wrote:
    >
    > this competition is for men, not children.
    >
    > Or at least men with the minds of children.

    Or men with no children.

    I guess the giant prize money and huge endorsement contracts
    makes it all worth while, though. Plus there's the chicks. I
    hear Pete Penseyres is dating Chery Crow's second cousin, twice
    removed. -- Jay Beattie.

  17. SH

    SH Guest

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 04:17:35 GMT, PanFan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Claudius Vitalis" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> to the maximum. No going home to watch Deadwood, after a few hours of
    >> fun and games and false bravado, this competition is for men, not
    >> children.

    >... or is the competition for insomniacs, not narcoleptics?

    I was waiting for someone to answer in the following vein:

    Dumbass,

    It's a competition for insomniacs that induces narcolepsy in
    spectators.

    Your Welcome,

    K. Grungioni

    But since no one did, I had too.

    This group is getting slack.

  18. >From Bob Roll's "51 Things to Do before You Die" (Bobke II):

    "Ride across America, stopping in every podunk burg along the way. Rely
    graciously upon the generosity of strangers. Never ever race across
    America."

    Bob Breedlove, RAAM soloist, was killed today in Colorado.