RAAM

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Heinz Getzler, Jun 18, 2003.

  1. A few weeks ago I happened to going downtown and I noticed this banner for the RAAM on harbor drive
    in San Diego. I was suprised to see that Microsoft & IBM were sponsors for the race.

    Perhaps there might be a possiblity of developing the RAAM into a hybrid stage race format. It's
    been a number of years since the US has had a major national classic like the Tour
    Dupont.............If we could get the sponsors to put up a big enough prize then we might be able
    to attract some of the european teams. Getting a rider Like Lance would be a big draw and attract
    some major corporate sponsorship.

    The big issue is getting the UCI to put on the World Cup schedule.

    Tags:

  2. "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A few weeks ago I happened to going downtown and I noticed this banner for the RAAM on harbor
    > drive in San Diego. I was suprised to see that Microsoft & IBM were sponsors for the race.
    >
    > Perhaps there might be a possiblity of developing the RAAM into a hybrid stage race format. It's
    > been a number of years since the US has had a major national classic like the Tour
    > Dupont.............If we could get the sponsors to put up a big enough prize then we might be able
    > to attract some of the european teams. Getting a rider Like Lance would be a big draw and attract
    > some major corporate sponsorship.
    >
    > The big issue is getting the UCI to put on the World Cup schedule.

    Fred Across America (FRAAM) will never be a UCI race.

  3. David Ryan

    David Ryan Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

    > "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > A few weeks ago I happened to going downtown and I noticed this banner for the RAAM on harbor
    > > drive in San Diego. I was suprised to see that Microsoft & IBM were sponsors for the race.
    > >
    > > Perhaps there might be a possiblity of developing the RAAM into a hybrid stage race format. It's
    > > been a number of years since the US has had a major national classic like the Tour
    > > Dupont.............If we could get the sponsors to put up a big enough prize then we might be
    > > able to attract some of the european teams. Getting a rider Like Lance would be a big draw and
    > > attract some major corporate sponsorship.
    > >
    > > The big issue is getting the UCI to put on the World Cup schedule.
    >
    > Fred Across America (FRAAM) will never be a UCI race.

    Call them Fred after you try it and win, Fred.

  4. "David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > >
    > > "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > A few weeks ago I happened to going downtown and I noticed this banner for the RAAM on harbor
    > > > drive in San Diego. I was suprised to see that Microsoft & IBM were sponsors for the race.
    > > >
    > > > Perhaps there might be a possiblity of developing the RAAM into a hybrid stage race format.
    > > > It's been a number of years since the US has had a major national classic like the Tour
    > > > Dupont.............If we could get the sponsors to put up a big enough prize then we might be
    > > > able to attract some of the european teams. Getting a rider Like Lance would be a big draw and
    > > > attract some major corporate sponsorship.
    > > >
    > > > The big issue is getting the UCI to put on the World Cup schedule.
    > >
    > > Fred Across America (FRAAM) will never be a UCI race.
    >
    > Call them Fred after you try it and win, Fred.

    All right then.

    Methamphetamine Across America (MAAM).

  5. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Heinz Getzler wrote:
    > A few weeks ago I happened to going downtown and I noticed this banner for the RAAM on harbor
    > drive in San Diego. I was suprised to see that Microsoft & IBM were sponsors for the race.
    >
    > Perhaps there might be a possiblity of developing the RAAM into a hybrid stage race format. It's
    > been a number of years since the US has had a major national classic like the Tour
    > Dupont.............If we could get the sponsors to put up a big enough prize then we might be able
    > to attract some of the european teams. Getting a rider Like Lance would be a big draw and attract
    > some major corporate sponsorship.
    >
    > The big issue is getting the UCI to put on the World Cup schedule.

    This country has so many neat places to ride, it's a tragedy we don't have a Grand Tour type
    race here. America can easily match that Continental scenery, and we've got tons more variety
    than France.

    We need to elect a bike-racing president or something. I will serve, if called upon. I need a job.

  6. Theodor Seiz

    Theodor Seiz Guest

    >This country has so many neat places to ride, it's a tragedy we don't have a Grand Tour type
    >race here. America can easily match that Continental scenery, and we've got tons more variety
    >than France.

    Bruhahahahaha - just missing 2000 years of culture and tradition ...

  7. David Ryan

    David Ryan Guest

    Theodor Seiz wrote:

    > >This country has so many neat places to ride, it's a tragedy we don't have a Grand Tour type race
    > >here. America can easily match that Continental scenery, and we've got tons more variety than
    > >France.
    > >

    > Bruhahahahaha - just missing 2000 years of culture and tradition ...

    And just what culture and tradition is that which hasn't been debased, disused and discarded over
    the last century? Or transplanted in America from everywhere?

    Old buildings is what's left.

  8. "David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Theodor Seiz wrote:
    > >
    > > >This country has so many neat places to ride, it's a tragedy we don't have a Grand Tour type
    > > >race here. America can easily match that Continental scenery, and we've got tons more variety
    > > >than France.
    > > >

    > > Bruhahahahaha - just missing 2000 years of culture and tradition ...
    >
    > And just what culture and tradition is that which hasn't been debased, disused and discarded over
    > the last century? Or transplanted in America from everywhere?

    We're missing out on all those traditions left over from, say . . .

    ummmmm . . .

    The Dark Ages?

    The Thirty Years War?

    Naw, how about The Spanish Inquisition?

    That's it, The Spanish Inquisition. All we have is the Salem Witch Trials, that pales by comparison.

  9. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > >
    > > "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > A few weeks ago I happened to going downtown and I noticed this banner for the RAAM on harbor
    > > > drive in San Diego. I was suprised to see that Microsoft & IBM were sponsors for the race.
    > > >
    > > > Perhaps there might be a possiblity of developing the RAAM into a hybrid stage race format.
    > > > It's been a number of years since the US has had a major national classic like the Tour
    > > > Dupont.............If we could get the sponsors to put up a big enough prize then we might be
    > > > able to attract some of the european teams. Getting a rider Like Lance would be a big draw and
    > > > attract some major corporate sponsorship.
    > > >
    > > > The big issue is getting the UCI to put on the World Cup schedule.
    > >
    > > Fred Across America (FRAAM) will never be a UCI race.
    >
    > Call them Fred after you try it and win, Fred.

    moron.

  10. "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    has
    Lance

    > > > Fred Across America (FRAAM) will never be a UCI race.
    > >
    > > Call them Fred after you try it and win, Fred.
    >

    > Na, Henry's not a Fred. This is but another illustration that he's a

    > moron.

    No it isn't.

    RAAM isn't even close to conforming to a UCI race. Plus, the logistics of putting on a coast to
    coast stage race are probably beyond what most of us can imagine. France is roughly the size of
    Texas. Their planning and expenses would be far, far greater if it was a linear 3000 miles.
    Something like this would have to evolve. Even the Tour de Trump (DuPont) probably didn't have
    towns bidding to host start/finishes in the beginning, and it was just in the middle eastern
    seaboard area.

  11. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > Na, Henry's not a Fred. This is but another illustration that he's a

    > moron.

    Yes he is. You should see him! Now if only he'd start riding again, he may graduate from "fred-dom."

    Mike

  12. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > We're missing out on all those traditions left over from, say . . .
    >

    > ummmmm . . .
    >

    > The Dark Ages?
    >
    > The Thirty Years War?
    >
    > Naw, how about The Spanish Inquisition?
    >

    > That's it, The Spanish Inquisition. All we have is the Salem Witch Trials, that pales by
    > comparison.

    Don't forget the Norman conquest of the British Isles, the British invasions of France over the
    years, the Napoleonic Wars, and a serious lack of space.

    If the US ended at the Appalachians, we may have been able to put on a grand tour, but as it is, no
    stinkin' way!

    Mike

  13. "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Na, Henry's not a Fred. This is but another illustration that he's a

    > moron.

    Compared to a man such as yourself, a man who got Lisa Voight fired by posting to rbr, a man who
    improved CBS's Olympics coverage by inciting an email campaign to the LAF protesting interviews w/
    LANCE's mom, a man who bitched for a year in this newsgroup about a 17 year old junior racer who
    used a profanity in a private email (while regularly using profanity in public posts, see above),
    yes, compared to such genius, I am a moron.

    I am humbled and awed to be in the virtual presence of such greatness.

  14. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Theodor Seiz wrote:
    >>This country has so many neat places to ride, it's a tragedy we don't have a Grand Tour type
    >>race here. America can easily match that Continental scenery, and we've got tons more variety
    >>than France.
    >>

    > Bruhahahahaha - just missing 2000 years of culture and tradition ...

    Nonsense! You're thinking in a box. Our traditions from 2000+ years ago are in many ways more noble,
    beautiful and fascinating than those of Europe.

  15. Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Nonsense! You're thinking in a box. Our traditions from 2000+ years ago are in many ways more
    > noble, beautiful and fascinating than those of Europe.

    This is probably a stupid question, but whose traditions are you talking about? For a vast majority
    of Americans, "your" traditions from 2000+ years ago are the same as European traditions.

    -as

  16. "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > has
    > Lance

    > > > Call them Fred after you try it and win, Fred.
    > >

    > > Na, Henry's not a Fred. This is but another illustration that he's a

    > > moron.
    > >

    > No it isn't.
    >
    > RAAM isn't even close to conforming to a UCI race. Plus, the logistics of putting on a coast to
    > coast stage race are probably beyond what most of us can imagine. France is roughly the size of
    > Texas. Their planning and expenses would be far, far greater if it was a linear 3000 miles.
    > Something like this would have to evolve. Even the Tour de Trump (DuPont) probably didn't have
    > towns bidding to host start/finishes in the beginning, and it was just in the middle eastern
    > seaboard area.

    Well my idea is to capture the interia of the RAAM. Perhaps we could morph it into a stage
    race format???

  17. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well my idea is to capture the interia of the RAAM. Perhaps we could morph it into a stage race
    > format???

    I really don't see that happening, although the blossoming ofthe RAAM team event has been great.
    RAAM and stage races are just two different breeds with two and too different mindsets to morph.
    They, and their participants, should each be appreciated for what they are.

  18. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Heinz Getzler wrote:
    > > A few weeks ago I happened to going downtown and I noticed this banner for the RAAM on harbor
    > > drive in San Diego. I was suprised to see that Microsoft & IBM were sponsors for the race.
    > >
    > > Perhaps there might be a possiblity of developing the RAAM into a hybrid stage race format. It's
    > > been a number of years since the US has had a major national classic like the Tour
    > > Dupont.............If we could get the sponsors to put up a big enough prize then we might be
    > > able to attract some of the european teams. Getting a rider Like Lance would be a big draw and
    > > attract some major corporate sponsorship.
    > >
    > > The big issue is getting the UCI to put on the World Cup schedule.
    >
    > This country has so many neat places to ride, it's a tragedy we don't have a Grand Tour type
    > race here. America can easily match that Continental scenery, and we've got tons more variety
    > than France.
    >
    > We need to elect a bike-racing president or something. I will serve, if called upon. I need a job.

    I'll vote for you!

    We have the Ironman Triathlon in Coeur D'alene, Idaho the end of this month.

    Lake Cour D'alene was voted as one of the 10 most beautiful lakes in the world by National
    Geographic magazine a few years ago. But an even more beautiful lake/area is Lake Pend Oreille about
    25 miles north of Lake Coeur D'alene.

    The lake is 55 miles long, 6 miles wide and up to 1200 feet deep. Beautiful clear water and good
    wind everyday. I have my sailboat slipped there.

    I vote for the Tour de Pend Oreille.

    Dashii

  19. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    A "Great American Tour" could have tons of different routes and still hop across the US in 2 or 3
    weeks every year.

    The Zinger/Classic was put on by ONE GUY, basically.

    You could have longer than usual days and more transfers. Or just have the dudes bus a ways each
    day. We have the FREEWAYS, baby, that Europe doesn't have! Smoove and easy to sleep on and we have
    BUSES galore.

    You could connect the dots with worldclass scenery and 200-mile stages and be done in short order
    and still go from coast to coast each year.

    The RAAM could be a stage race no problemo.

    It's a nutty thing right now, with the no-sleep, but it's only, what, 8 days, or 6 days for teams.
    Just have the whole show stop each night for a decent rest and you can get across the US without any
    transfers in probably 2 weeks.

    --

    Jeff Potter
    ****

  20. Jeff Potter

    Jeff Potter Guest

    Jeff Potter wrote:

    > The Zinger/Classic was put on by ONE GUY, basically.

    PS: By "one guy" I meant that one guy was the dude with the Vision Thing who provided the Big
    Motor each year. Michael Aisner, right? RAAM as it is, is mainly due to one guy's vision as
    well, isn't it? Sure, it takes tons of people to pull it off (right, Henry?), but if one
    honcho or a team today got the VISION THING for a RAAM Stage Race they could get tourism and
    chamber of commerce and corpo backing I bet. I bet it wouldn't be any harder than Aisner or
    Shermer had it!!!

    --

    Jeff Potter
    ****