Rabies Shots?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by su-texas, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. su-texas

    su-texas Guest

    One of the cats appears to have rabies, so I'll probably have to get the shots.

    Any words of advice concerning rabies shots? Or dealing with the side effects of the shots?

    Panic!

    Susan, Su_Texas my opinions

    Tags:

  2. Ilsa9

    Ilsa9 Guest

    >One of the cats appears to have rabies, so I'll probably have to get the shots.
    >
    >Any words of advice concerning rabies shots? Or dealing with the side effects of the shots?
    >
    >Panic!
    >
    >Susan, Su_Texas my opinions

    Susan, try posting this to a veteranary or animal newsgroup. There is a DVM who occasionally reads
    this group, but I don't think he reads it regularly enough given the urgency of your situation.

    You really should discuss this with your vet...

  3. Wb

    Wb Guest

    On 25 Jan 2004 17:06:37 GMT, [email protected] (Ilsa9) wrote:

    >>One of the cats appears to have rabies, so I'll probably have to get the shots.
    >>
    >>Any words of advice concerning rabies shots? Or dealing with the side effects of the shots?
    >>
    >>Panic!
    >>
    >>Susan, Su_Texas my opinions
    >>

    >Susan, try posting this to a veteranary or animal newsgroup. There is a DVM who occasionally reads
    >this group, but I don't think he reads it regularly enough given the urgency of your situation.
    >
    >You really should discuss this with your vet...

    IIRC, once symptoms appear in a human, rabies is 100% fatal.
    --

    "I can dance on the head of a pin as well"
    -Yoshimo

  4. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    WB wrote:

    > IIRC, once symptoms appear in a human, rabies is 100% fatal.

    No, I remember a case where the patient survived, but IIRC it was unusual in that it was the first
    such case.

  5. su-texas

    su-texas Guest

    lisa9 wrote:

    Susan, try posting this to a veterinary or animal newsgroup. There is a DVM who occasionally reads
    this group, but I don't think he reads it regularly enough given the urgency of your situation. You
    really should discuss this with your vet...

    =========

    Shots For Me

    The rest of the dogs will be getting their shots tomorrow at the vet's, IF I can physically get them
    there, ...

    .. with my having acute lymphedema (mostly due to the drug Arimidex) in the left arm, ... plus
    injuries to the left arm & shoulder (Jan 1998), .. plus lymph node removal on that side (at time
    of mastectomy of left breast, Dec 2001. ... 3rd-stage breast cancer, with a lump 6 by 6 by 2
    inches big, because the docs kept refusing me medical care for it, even though I had excellent
    insurance), ...

    ... my right wrist in a brace due to pinched & inflamed tendon, ... the damage to my right
    chest/neck/shoulder area, due to botched port-a-cath surgery in early 2002, ... the physical damage
    caused by cancer "care" (PHARMA drugs), ...

    .. my many injuries from hitting pavement & sliding in Jan 1998, due to unsafe conditions at a
    shopping mall (injuries which I still can't find & get good testing & diagnosis for from docs, or
    care), ... the tiredness from the two strokes (in 2000), which the injuries & ongoing lack of
    medical care caused, & for which I also couldn't find medical care, ...

    .. with my having to constantly deal with & survive the ongoing birth-family abuse, & other crimes,
    meanness, & threats (due to the very-failed legal & govt systems here in Texas), etc.

    This is overwhelming! And keeps getting worse. But I choose to have hope & keep trying.

    IF I can possibly do so, then I will get the dogs to the vet tomorrow.

    It's a shame there's no help here. None.

    However, the rabies shots I'm asking about, here at this newsgroup, are for me. The vet won't be
    giving those.

    Susan, Su_Texas my opinions

  6. Drceephd

    Drceephd Guest

    >Subject: Rabies Shots?
    >From: [email protected]
    >Date: 1/25/04 11:40 AM Eastern Standard Time
    >
    >One of the cats appears to have rabies, so I'll probably have to get the shots.
    >
    >Any words of advice concerning rabies shots? Or dealing with the side effects of the shots?
    >
    >Panic!
    >
    >Susan, Su_Texas my opinions

    Unless you have received a bite which drew blood, I would not see any need for the shots.

    I have a book about the history of rabies, something to the effect that the medical term rabies
    was a joke.

    Rabies, it seems, is another disease placed upon mankind by an uncaring and superstitious medical
    mentality.

    This is the summary of what I have read about the disease. In earlier times, the locals had to burn
    down the Pasteur rabies clinics to get rid of the disease.

    DrC PhD

  7. su-texas

    su-texas Guest

    Dr C PhD wrote:

    Unless you have received a bite which drew blood, I would not see any need for the shots.

    =======

    I've gotten some minor scratches from the cats, & I was still stroking & petting that cat yesterday,
    before he acted ill.

    It wasn't until yesterday afternoon, that he looked sick, sorta stiff & stuff, dishevelled & acting
    oddly, & seeking help or something, ... then he went under the house. I thought he might have been
    poisoned, & I've been upset about that & crying.

    Today, he was howling some, & staying at a distance. When I got closer, his eyes were wild & weird.
    He howled at me threatenly, & looked confused & ready to attack. He looked in a lot of pain, his
    chin was wet, & he ignored canned food (his favorite). Then he must have left when another cat
    approached the food, & while I was moving two dogs a safer distance away.

    In the months before the rabies, he'd grab & gently bite my leg through my sweatpants, playfully,
    ... but not cause much if any damage. ???

    I'm scared.

    Today, I've been outside keeping an eye on the dogs, & trying to pick up trash, ... to clear an area
    near the porch, for another dog cage for tonight. So I'm in a lot of pain.

    I've picked up about thirty or so bags of trash, so far. Heavy trash. Lots of wet & used newspapers,
    whose previous trash bags deteriorated & burst. Plus, I'm having to tote it across the yard & down
    the driveway.

    This is a nightmare, & I seem to be in shock. I didn't think that animals still got rabies, esp.
    those kept in the city. No animals at the farm ever got rabies, when I lived there for 18 years.

    I've very concerned about the dogs, & also about my staying in good enough health (despite the very
    failed medical system here), in order to care for them.

    Susan, Su_Texas my opinions

  8. David Wright

    David Wright Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    DRCEEPHD <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Subject: Rabies Shots? From: [email protected] Date: 1/25/04 11:40 AM Eastern Standard Time Message-
    >>id: <[email protected]>
    >>
    >>One of the cats appears to have rabies, so I'll probably have to get the shots.
    >>
    >>Any words of advice concerning rabies shots? Or dealing with the side effects of the shots?
    >>
    >>Panic!
    >>
    >>Susan, Su_Texas my opinions
    >>
    >Unless you have received a bite which drew blood, I would not see any need for the shots.

    Dear Susan,

    I'm assuming you've read enough of "Dr" Cee's postings to know that

    (1) he is a loon
    (2) you should not, ever, take his health advice.

    However, in case you did not know those things, well, now you do.

    >I have a book about the history of rabies, something to the effect that the medical term rabies
    >was a joke.

    I have a book that tells many stories about a wonderful detective named Sherlock Holmes. Trouble is,
    all those stories are fiction, just like your supposed expertise in medical matters.

    >Rabies, it seems, is another disease placed upon mankind by an uncaring and superstitious medical
    >mentality.

    Oh, sure it is. That's why it's still fairly common in the wilder parts of Asia, where many people
    die of it every year.

    >This is the summary of what I have read about the disease. In earlier times, the locals had to burn
    >down the Pasteur rabies clinics to get rid of the disease.

    Along with a few witches, no doubt.

    Really, Chuck, you get weirder by the day.

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
    correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
    shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

  9. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Today, he was howling some, & staying at a distance. When I got closer, his eyes were wild &
    > weird. He howled at me threatenly, & looked confused & ready to attack. He looked in a lot of
    > pain, his chin was wet, & he ignored canned food (his favorite). Then he must have left when
    > another cat approached the food, & while I was moving two dogs a safer distance away.

    A demented cat with symptoms something like that once showed up where I lived a long time ago.

    During its friendlier moods, I could stroke its head, and I could feel it had a very significant
    skull fracture. I would guess it got hit by a car at some point.

    Have you ruled that out? There are possibilities other than rabies.

  10. David Wright

    David Wright Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >WB wrote:
    >
    >> IIRC, once symptoms appear in a human, rabies is 100% fatal.
    >
    >No, I remember a case where the patient survived, but IIRC it was unusual in that it was the first
    >such case.

    I think there have actually been a couple. Trouble is, as soon as someone does survive rabies, then
    naysayers come out of the woodwork, denying that the patient ever had rabies at all.

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
    correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
    shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

  11. Drceephd

    Drceephd Guest

    >Subject: Re: Rabies Shots?
    >From: [email protected]
    >Date: 1/25/04 12:53 PM Eastern Standard Time
    >

    >Shots For Me
    >

    >The rest of the dogs will be getting their shots tomorrow at the vet's, IF I can physically get
    >them there, ...

    Over reaction and unwarrarted.

    We once had a cat that was sick. Most of our sick animals just went off and died or returned
    healthy. This one, a cat, was foaming at the mouth, which I believed at that time was typical of
    rabies. I now know differently, but my mother, who was bitten by the cat, had the damn rabies shots.
    Yep, we cut the cat's head off and had its brain examined. I now realize how foolish for us and
    dangerous the shots were.

    DrC PhD.

  12. Rich Andrews

    Rich Andrews Guest

    [email protected] (DRCEEPHD) wrote in news:20040125215658.13722.00000508
    @mb-m27.aol.com:

    >>Subject: Re: Rabies Shots? From: [email protected] Date: 1/25/04 12:53 PM Eastern Standard Time
    >>

    >>Shots For Me
    >>

    >>The rest of the dogs will be getting their shots tomorrow at the vet's, IF I can physically get
    >>them there, ...
    >
    > Over reaction and unwarrarted.
    >
    > We once had a cat that was sick. Most of our sick animals just went off
    and
    > died or returned healthy. This one, a cat, was foaming at the mouth,
    which I
    > believed at that time was typical of rabies. I now know differently,
    but my
    > mother, who was bitten by the cat, had the damn rabies shots. Yep, we
    cut the
    > cat's head off and had its brain examined. I now realize how foolish
    for us
    > and dangerous the shots were.
    >
    > DrC PhD.

    C,

    Mess with you own life if you want, but don't encourage others to postpone treatment that could be
    lifesaving. Rabies is nothing to mess with as once symptoms occur, the patient nearly always dies.

  13. Rich Andrews

    Rich Andrews Guest

    [email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]
    3198.bay.webtv.net:

    > Dr C PhD wrote:
    >
    > Unless you have received a bite which drew blood, I would not see any need for the shots.
    >
    > =======
    >
    > I've gotten some minor scratches from the cats, & I was still stroking & petting that cat
    > yesterday, before he acted ill.
    >
    > It wasn't until yesterday afternoon, that he looked sick, sorta stiff & stuff, dishevelled &
    > acting oddly, & seeking help or something, ... then he went under the house. I thought he might
    > have been poisoned, & I've been upset about that & crying.
    >
    > Today, he was howling some, & staying at a distance. When I got closer, his eyes were wild &
    > weird. He howled at me threatenly, & looked confused & ready to attack. He looked in a lot of
    > pain, his chin was wet, & he ignored canned food (his favorite). Then he must have left when
    > another cat approached the food, & while I was moving two dogs a safer distance away.
    >
    > In the months before the rabies, he'd grab & gently bite my leg through my sweatpants, playfully,
    > ... but not cause much if any damage. ???
    >
    > I'm scared.
    >
    > Today, I've been outside keeping an eye on the dogs, & trying to pick up trash, ... to clear an
    > area near the porch, for another dog cage for tonight. So I'm in a lot of pain.
    >
    > I've picked up about thirty or so bags of trash, so far. Heavy trash. Lots of wet & used
    > newspapers, whose previous trash bags deteriorated & burst. Plus, I'm having to tote it across the
    > yard & down the driveway.
    >
    > This is a nightmare, & I seem to be in shock. I didn't think that animals still got rabies, esp.
    > those kept in the city. No animals at the farm ever got rabies, when I lived there for 18 years.
    >
    > I've very concerned about the dogs, & also about my staying in good enough health (despite the
    > very failed medical system here), in order to care for them.
    >
    > Susan, Su_Texas my opinions

    Trap that critter and get it examined NOW! Talk to the vet and your doctor.

    Why mess around with something as deadly as rabies. I would rather mess with almost anything other
    than a rabid pet.

    Check the rabies reports. Common wild animals like skunks are a well known carrier. Squirrels come
    to mind as do rats.

    To die of rabies is one of the most painful ways to die.

  14. Happy Dog

    Happy Dog Guest

    "DRCEEPHD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Subject: Re: Rabies Shots?

    > died or returned healthy. This one, a cat, was foaming at the mouth,
    which I
    > believed at that time was typical of rabies. I now know differently, but
    my
    > mother, who was bitten by the cat, had the damn rabies shots. Yep, we cut
    the
    > cat's head off and had its brain examined. I

    Bullshit. "We"? Animals suspected of having rabies are quarantined. There is no "head cutting" that
    occurs unless the animal dies.

    le moo

  15. Happy Dog

    Happy Dog Guest

    "BL 1204" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is there a significant amount of rabies in your area? DO NOT GET THE
    RABIES
    > SHOTS UNLESS THE CAT TESTS POSITIVE FOR RABIES. You do need to talk to a doctor about this.

    Who wont give you a rabies vaccine unless the animal can't be found or has tested positively for
    rabies. And, in any case the vaccine is much more benign than it used to be.

    lm

  16. Tsu Dho Nimh

    Tsu Dho Nimh Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    >One of the cats appears to have rabies, so I'll probably have to get the shots.

    Unless you want ot risk a painful and SLOW death from rabies, yes, you do have to get the shots.

    >Any words of advice concerning rabies shots? Or dealing with the side effects of the shots?

    The shots are a LONG WAY from the "14 in the belly" ones that so many people think will happen. It's
    "5 in the arm, starting with one AS SOOMN AS POSSIBLE" and the rest are scattered ovre a period of
    weeks or maybe a few months.

    They are no worse than flu shots, and have no side effects other than fever and pain in the
    injeciton site.

    Tsu Dho Nimh

    --
    When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a lot like politicians invoking morality
    and children - grab your wallet and/or your kid and run for your life.

  17. Tsu Dho Nimh

    Tsu Dho Nimh Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    >However, the rabies shots I'm asking about, here at this newsgroup, are for me. The vet won't be
    >giving those.

    If there is ANY possibility that you were bitten or licked by a rabid animal, JUST GET THE SHOTS!

    I know vets who have had the current "5 in the arm" series and it's no worse than a flu shot.

    Rabies, on the other hand, is so close to uniformly fatal that it makes no difference ... I know of
    one exception, a young boy, who survived clinical rabies with astounding amounts of supportive care
    (respirators, muscle paralysing agents, etc.) and then months of physical therapy afterward to help
    him recover from the neurological damage.

    Tsu Dho Nimh

    --
    When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a lot like politicians invoking morality
    and children - grab your wallet and/or your kid and run for your life.

  18. Tsu Dho Nimh

    Tsu Dho Nimh Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    >Today, he was howling some, & staying at a distance. When I got closer, his eyes were wild & weird.
    >He howled at me threatenly, & looked confused & ready to attack. He looked in a lot of pain, his
    >chin was wet, & he ignored canned food (his favorite). Then he must have left when another cat
    >approached the food, & while I was moving two dogs a safer distance away.

    Call rabies control and have them come get the cat ... it does not sound good.

    Tsu Dho Nimh

    --
    When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a lot like politicians invoking morality
    and children - grab your wallet and/or your kid and run for your life.

  19. Tsu Dho Nimh

    Tsu Dho Nimh Guest

    [email protected] (BL 1204) wrote:

    >Is there a significant amount of rabies in your area?

    She's in rural TEXAS ... yes there is a significant amount of rabies there.

    Tsu Dho Nimh

    --
    When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a lot like politicians invoking morality
    and children - grab your wallet and/or your kid and run for your life.

  20. Ilsa9

    Ilsa9 Guest

    >>Subject: Rabies Shots?
    >>From: [email protected]
    >>Date: 1/25/04 11:40 AM Eastern Standard Time
    >>
    >>One of the cats appears to have rabies, so I'll probably have to get the shots.
    >>
    >>Any words of advice concerning rabies shots? Or dealing with the side effects of the shots?
    >>
    >>Panic!
    >>
    >>Susan, Su_Texas my opinions
    >>
    >Unless you have received a bite which drew blood, I would not see any need for the shots.
    >
    >I have a book about the history of rabies, something to the effect that the medical term rabies
    >was a joke.

    hate-based, supersitious, belief system.