Race Across America, Anyone Watching?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by gpriatko, Jun 22, 2005.

1. gpriatko

gpriatko New Member

It's day-3 and the leaders are in Colorado.

Jure Robic has covered 1100 miles at an average pace of 15.6 mph.

The rider postion web page is here: http://raceacrossamerica.org/racestats/report.aspx?report=RacePosition

The race profile is here: http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/files/route/pre2005profile.jpg

I wish that there was coverage on OLN. Every time I hear one of the OLN commentators describing TDF as 'The most grueling race in cycling' I just have to laugh. I'm sure that TDF is damned hard but these ultacycling events are inconceivable to me.

Tags:

2. Zonieboy

Zonieboy New Member

Been keeping an eye on Team Landis Phoenix, they were on our show last week. It's suppose to be @ 110 here in Phoenix today and several solo riders dropped out yesterday. Look like Arizona thru Colorado has been brutal. Hard to believe this is the 24th year for RAAM. They get hardly any coverage

3. spacefuzz

spacefuzz New Member

Ive been following online, I guess well have to wait until winter and hope nbc does another show on it.

4. Mark Willis

Mark Willis New Member

I can't believe how bad the HPV guys are getting spanked... I would have thought they would have been much more competitive with the uprights if not beating them:confused:

5. roadhog

roadhog New Member

Yeah, these riders are amazing. I'd love to see some stuff on TV but I guess we'll have to wait for some documentary thing in many months to see it. They pass about an hour from my house in a few days and I'd love to go see them, but I imagine it's next to impossible to time it right and figure out when a rider might be coming by - not to mention it's probably a little anti-climactic (for the observer on the side of the road that is).

6. gpriatko

gpriatko New Member

I agree that I would have guessed that the average speed for the HPV teams would be a little higher but is 19.5 and 20.0 mph bad?

The teams are miles behind the leaders but they started two days later.

7. Zonieboy

Zonieboy New Member

Remember the HPV's are in the hills of Colorado. Wait till they hit the Plains and watch their times.

8. Zonieboy

Zonieboy New Member

Oh my God!

From www.raceacrossamerica.org

"RAAM Suffers The Tragic Loss of One of its Greats
    With profound regret, Race Across America announces that Bob Breedlove, competitor #188, collided head-on with a pickup truck at approximately 12.15 p.m. EDT, on June 23, 28 miles west of Trinidad, Colorado. When paramedics arrived on the scene they pronounced him dead."

9. chrispopovic

chrispopovic New Member

That's just tragic. What an absolute loss. The other guys in the race must be just floored. What a mental and emotional shock they must be going through.

Chris

10. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

Yeah, kinda tough I would imagine to deal with on top of everything else. Tragic on many levels, including the person that hit him (I would consider the driver a victim as well).

Is this the first time anyone has died in the race?

11. spacefuzz

spacefuzz New Member

Brett Malin died in 2003 when he was hit by a semi. thats so sad abour breedlove, riders just shouldnt die like that.

12. gpriatko

gpriatko New Member

I agree. It's hard to imagine how his family and friends are feeling; and you're right about the driver.

This is a great race and I admire the riders but I don't know what to do about the risks.

13. concord

concord Member

I'm in Arizona and RAAM went right through my little town, Chino Valley, I did get up a few hours early and did ride with Mike Trevino, now in second place. I took the day off from work just for this and it made my day! :D
    To bad about Bob Breedlove. I feel for his family and the guy who was in the pick up truck... how sad.
    Have you all checked out the photos? Great shots.

14. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

This was indeed a terrible tragedy, I can't even imagine how Dr Bob's Family and Friends are feeling right now...

Incidentaly, he was hit by a 15 year old unlicensed Driver....

15. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

Well from what I read, I would say Dr. Bob, hit him...where did you read he was 15yo ul driver???

Wow talk about freaking out, you are sneaking a drive in the old mans truck and a cyclist runs into you head on...

16. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

I can't remember where I read it, but here's one article...
    http://www.gjsentinel.com/hp/content/gen/ap/CO_Iowa_Cyclist.html

17. concord

concord Member

Thanks for the article Jaguar27, now let's see what the investigation team comes up with. Trevino had to drop out... bummer. :(

18. trackman23434

trackman23434 New Member

wow this is just amazing that someone can do this, and i read somethign about one of the people competed 17 times in a row without dropping out at all, that is just inhuman.

think of it this way for the guy who died, at least he went doing something that he loves with his whole heart.

19. gpriatko

gpriatko New Member

The first team will finish in a few hours, they're only 65 miles from Atlantic City.

Jure has about 400 miles to go.

It's fun to read the rider's bios.

The youngest rider is 18,

Then there's Frank Haase from the Webcore Team

That Alaska to Tierra Del Fuego in 7 months. He must have been riding a century ever day.

20. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

Quick question:
    I had assumed that the teams of riders just needed one guy on the road while the other three took a break... I read something that mentioned drafting so now I am wondering if someone can tell me the strategy the 4-man teams use? Do they keep two on the road to draft off each other? Are there times when all 4 are riding together? Are they constantly trying to optimize rest and drafting by changing the # of riders?